First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I just turned 79, and am on that fine line of how much physical work can I still do. The mind says yes, but the body does not agree.. ☹
Sponsored

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I’ll be 65 in a couple months. Not turning the keys over just yet, but wrenching is certainly harder than it used to be. Been working on cars and motorcycles since I was 16.

Next weekend I‘m tearing into my step son’s Dodge Neon to replace the leaking water pump. Hopefully he’ll be doing most of the work so I won’t be too crippled on Sunday.

davers

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy's Diesel 4 door Sarge Green
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've been reluctant to do any kind of work to my vehicles except the bus I own. Even that, the heavy work gets farmed out. I am lucky that I have an awesome relationship with my Chrysler dealer who goes out of their way to take care of me. That said, I built a 16' long service pit in my side yard for the bus and basic work on my vehicles when I "feel like" working on them. It's ok. Life progression I guess.

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg
No. Way! That is awesome!!

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
My issues are with the salt road conditions that just rust everything in sight of the spray. The older the vehicle gets the worse it is. My wife’s 2010 Dodge Journey is NOT a pleasant car to work on for sure after so many years on the roads in NY State. For the most part, I really look things over, double check the tool supply and then make the decision to either do it myself or take it to one or two of the places I trust locally.

Of course my New to me Jeep was a Florida vehicle for its first 2 years and it showed it. Thankfully I sprayed the ares that I knew might be problems down the road with fluid film. In the spring I’ll get it hosed down and as clean as I can and see what areas might need more protection.

I really try and do things these days so it makes it easier to work on my vehicle. But the one vehicle that may get traded way before the jeep is the 2020 Outback, and for the most part the Dealership that I used to work for get’s that one so I can get a little more due to Certified Pre-Owned status.

But YES! After so many years of maintaining my cars and trucks, my body is telling me I have to slow down. I’ve had enough issues with my hands, shoulders and knees and the arthritis that is rearing its head. 66 years young and I want to be driving my Jeep well into my 80’s!

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
The difference between someone who stays physically fit and someone who doesn't gets to be pretty huge after 75 or so I think. Having good genes helps! But hey! Might as well try :D Don't give up the good fight yet!

They're using a bottle that has a drain pan on the side. If the drain pan's drain-plug (and vent-plug) are open, the drain pan will drain into the bottle. If the vent plug is closed (the first thing she pulls in the corner), it'll go into the bottle very slowly and possibly spill over. If the drain plug is also closed, well, nothing's going to go in and the drain pan will totally overflow onto the ground lol.

1668234966886.png

Other versions of this that amuse me:

* I lost my socket that I use to remove the drain plug
* I lost my socket to change the oil filter. And I've already dumped the oil so I can't drive to the store. Oops.
* I forgot to buy a filter
* I forgot to buy oil (lol)

(I didn't forget all of those, but the first time I drained the oil out of my jeep, I realized I didn't own a big enough socket to change the oil filter lol)
Ah cool thanks. I didn't realize there's special drain bottles, makes sense if it makes the job easier (if you do it right). And what went wrong in this case. I'm planning on trying it myself one day when I run out of free ones.

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Can anyone recommend good online courses for automobile maintenance?
I'd also be interested to hear what's out there. This isn't quite maintenance, but I've been using it for general understanding and like the videos: https://www.howacarworks.com/. I get the feeling it will never be completed based on how often they push back the dates (maybe not even actively filming anymore to finish it...), but it's pretty cheap and I like it better as an idea than just one off YouTube videos.

OP
OP
Heimkehr

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Can anyone recommend good online courses for automobile maintenance?
Have a look around YouTube...and be careful to separate the wheat from the chaff. I've seen more examples of how not to do a job on YT than I have observed it being done even remotely correctly. Such are the consequences when there's no observed vetting process for content (unless you mention an inconvenient social truth! But that's a whole 'nother subject...)

If you have any Qs or doubts about a video regarding an automotive maintenance issue that you're interested in learning more about, post it here for our feedback.

------------------

By way of example: While this is not a video for beginners, it is a good example of thorough analysis of the job, and also personally interesting to any of us with the ZF transmission.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Have a look around YouTube...and be careful to separate the wheat from the chaff. I've seen more examples of how not to do a job on YT than I have observed it being done even remotely correctly.
This is my concern exactly. I am hoping someone did a course and can recommend it.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I’ll be 65 in a couple months. Not turning the keys over just yet, but wrenching is certainly harder than it used to be. Been working on cars and motorcycles since I was 16.
I was a bit older than that when I installed Rubicon springs and shocks on my JLU Sport, in my garage using my limited tools. And just a few months ago I changed the radiator in my daughter's Grand Cherokee. A lot of laying on the ground, getting up to get tools, laying back on the ground, getting up... will wear me down but otherwise I don't have too many problems. The biggest problem working on a Dodge Neon is that it is very close to the ground. In my father's shop when we would work on cars like that we would use a floor jack to raise the front of the car up to a better working height.

Ah cool thanks. I didn't realize there's special drain bottles, makes sense if it makes the job easier (if you do it right). And what went wrong in this case. I'm planning on trying it myself one day when I run out of free ones.
I don't think that is a good solution for oil changing. I've changed oil in a lot of different vehicles and particularly with modern "watery" oils it will come out pretty fast and you don't know offhand where it will land on the pan. When it hits the pan it will splatter so you need a larger diameter pan with taller sides.
For many years I used a metal pan 16" or more in diameter, maybe 3" deep. My V8 holds 6 quarts which would mostly fill up the pan so it made it difficult to dump back in the bottles. I finally bought a cheap plastic pan at the auto store that has a built-in side spout. It has the same opening diameter as my metal pan, in fact my metal pan fits nicely in the top of it to work as a lid, and the plastic one is about 5" tall so it contains splatters better. The spout doesn't seal up well so I have to wrap plastic around it or it drips slightly in my storage shed but the spout makes it very easy to empty into the oil jug. I buy Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs and just pour the old oil back in the jug after I'm finished. When I get 3 or 4 jugs I take them back to autozone and pour into their big metal tank. In between those visits I buy the jugs of oil at Walmart.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm not too worried about losing my mechanical abilities. It happens.
I'm WAY more concerned that I'll get old and become one of those prune faced assholes with a constant frown that drives real slow and real poorly and causing accidents.
I HOPE I'll be the old guy that drives too fast, tells dirty jokes, drinks beer and has fun until death!

Self-driving cars?? Really? I hope I'm dead before I EVER see everyone in self driving cars.
Same situation here brother, after doing complete front and rear brake job on the wife’s 2020 4Runner a few days ago and laying underneath to grease all the u-joints last night I realize it’s time to move on and let someone else do it. Could I do it for a few more years, of course..but it physically hurts me. It’s going to cost me mentally/physically way sooner than later. She came down and brought me a drink and she could tell it was bothering me. I tried Aleeve and Tylenol but to no avail. The headaches and body stress. Having to stop frequently and relax and build up more strength to push through the job. It definitely sucks looking down this avenue but I just can’t stand Toyota TRD turd engineering and Asian crap and it’s cutting into my time with a real damn vehicle.

my 2022 wrangler…

but yes sir, on a serious note. I do feel your pain and these old bones and arthritis are just not what they used to be. Sadly. Tick tock tick tock.
It's a battle everyday to keep moving and push back becoming inactive. It hurts to push back, but it's gotta be done. But, old man Age steals a little bit of life everyday.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I was a bit older than that when I installed Rubicon springs and shocks on my JLU Sport, in my garage using my limited tools. And just a few months ago I changed the radiator in my daughter's Grand Cherokee. A lot of laying on the ground, getting up to get tools, laying back on the ground, getting up... will wear me down but otherwise I don't have too many problems. The biggest problem working on a Dodge Neon is that it is very close to the ground. In my father's shop when we would work on cars like that we would use a floor jack to raise the front of the car up to a better working height.

I don't think that is a good solution for oil changing. I've changed oil in a lot of different vehicles and particularly with modern "watery" oils it will come out pretty fast and you don't know offhand where it will land on the pan. When it hits the pan it will splatter so you need a larger diameter pan with taller sides.
For many years I used a metal pan 16" or more in diameter, maybe 3" deep. My V8 holds 6 quarts which would mostly fill up the pan so it made it difficult to dump back in the bottles. I finally bought a cheap plastic pan at the auto store that has a built-in side spout. It has the same opening diameter as my metal pan, in fact my metal pan fits nicely in the top of it to work as a lid, and the plastic one is about 5" tall so it contains splatters better. The spout doesn't seal up well so I have to wrap plastic around it or it drips slightly in my storage shed but the spout makes it very easy to empty into the oil jug. I buy Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs and just pour the old oil back in the jug after I'm finished. When I get 3 or 4 jugs I take them back to autozone and pour into their big metal tank. In between those visits I buy the jugs of oil at Walmart.
Another approach: use a Fumoto valve with 10mm (ID) plastic tube to direct the used oil into a closed container. I have a 10 quart container that has the capacity to capture all of the Ecodiesel's output. Screw on the cap and use the container to transport to a reclaimation center.

You could literally drain the oil over your living room carpet without spilling a drop. [the oil filter is another story entirely]

Jeep Wrangler JL Handing over the keys 61GMCQyrhwL._SX522_

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon
I hear ya bud, unfortunately do to my job I m already prematurely beat to shit lol 3 shoulder surgeries 1 elbow and 1 knee so I find myself (at 47) having to hand off things I never would consider in the past which is pretty infuriating to me but I have to watch what I do because I need to make it another 15 years at work

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I hear ya bud, unfortunately do to my job I m already prematurely beat to shit lol 3 shoulder surgeries 1 elbow and 1 knee so I find myself (at 47) having to hand off things I never would consider in the past which is pretty infuriating to me but I have to watch what I do because I need to make it another 15 years at work
Sorry to hear about your limitations. We all have to make adjustments as we age, but yours sound particularly premature. Keep moving forward. 👍

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
My situation is the opposite. I was forced to work on junk my entire youth. We were middle class but barely, so I had a car at 16, but it was a beat up Nova. I spent many many years working on junk, being stranded by junk, smelling like gasoline because of the junk I was driving, etc., now at 45, I can’t stomach it anymore. I have the money, so I’ll never touch one again unless I have to.
Sponsored