Sponsored

Spare Door keys...Hate the huge key fob...

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I'm tempted to remove the key because I hate how it easily pops out in my pocket. Has anyone removed their key piece from the fob?
The only problem I see with removing the key from the fob is if the fob malfunctions for whatever reason and does not open the door you are left with no key to get in, technology is great when it all works.
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
The only problem I see with removing the key from the fob is if the fob malfunctions for whatever reason and does not open the door you are left with no key to get in, technology is great when it all works.
Just remember, the some of the software developers who wrote the code for the vehicle and the security of it are the same type of developers who wrote the code for your Win10 computer that crashes at least once a week while just trying to watch a video online. Just wait... At some point the problem determination suggestion for your car is going to be:

"Close all the windows. Get out of the car. Get back in. Open up all the windows and try again."

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
That happened to my neighbor. He left the spare FOB in his briefcase in the trunk of his Mercedes and locked the doors. Then some kids came through the neighborhood pulling on car door handles and stealing what they could from unlocked cars. Guess what happened when they got to the Mercedes and pulled on the handle? That's right, the doors unlocked and they just hit the start button and drove away.

However, the OP says he would keep it in an RFI bag to block the signal. I still think it would be insecure because if anyone looked through the jeep they'd open the bag and see that it's the key.

Outside of that, I haven't had a laser key cut but I know it can be done. Call around to your local locksmiths.
that can't happen I have that brand car and you cannot lock the car with a fob inside the vehicle same as the JL

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm tempted to remove the key because I hate how it easily pops out in my pocket. Has anyone removed their key piece from the fob?
Don't let the key stab you in a sensitive location , lol .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Maybe it would have been smarter to have normal keys in the first place , lol .

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am pretty sure I will leave my key attached to the fob

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

CuylerTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Bright White 3.6L 8 Speed
You can Lock a fob in the JL if you use a different key to lock it. If it only detects one key in the vehicle it wont let you lock yourself out.

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I wish Jeep/manufacturers offered a way to attatch an extra key or two to the fob. Then I wouldn’t need to carry anything if I could attatch my house key to the flip mechanism somehow.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wish Jeep/manufacturers offered a way to attatch an extra key or two to the fob. Then I wouldn’t need to carry anything if I could attatch my house key to the flip mechanism somehow.
You might want to rethink that these days...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls

"General Motors has stated that the recalled cars are safe to drive unless the driver has additional items attached to the key ring"

Yeah, FCA is not GM, but you have to remember, they are all pulling from the same pool of "engineers" up there. Maybe you work for GM for a couple of years, then move off to Ford, then off to FCA...

FCA is probably trying to make it so that you can't attach anything to the fob so that if anything does happen at some point, they can just say that you made an improper modification to their design and as such, they are not responsible.

A key that you can't put on a keyring... What a braindead design...

On a side note, my Harley uses one of those tubular locks with the round keys, like you see on vending machines. The key is not locked into the lock, so you use it to unlock the selector switch that has positions for ACC, OFF, and ON. I suspect that the security of these types of locks is questionable if you are faced with someone who has the equipment and knowledge to pick these types of locks. But, if you combine it with a locked fork and a disc brake lock, it might slow the thief down enough that he'll go somewhere else where the stealing is less time consuming. :)

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Another thought is that if you have a soft top, why even lock it? When I had my JK soft top, I never locked it. I just never kept anything in it. I didn't want someone slashing my windows to get in. Plus, I had manual locks ;)

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Another thought is that if you have a soft top, why even lock it? When I had my JK soft top, I never locked it. I just never kept anything in it. I didn't want someone slashing my windows to get in. Plus, I had manual locks ;)
Even locking a ragtop will stop some people from stealing stuff because they are just criminals of opportunity. They see something that is out in the open without a lock on it, they will grab it. But then there are those who have no problem breaking windows if they think there might be something in the car worth stealing. Some of these will break the windows even if the door is unlocked.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I am still waiting to see my fob with my jeep attached to it! Day 63. Can someone grab a tape measure and tell me the size of the fob..

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase