Sponsored

Spare Door keys...Hate the huge key fob...

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
F

Damn! It's bigger than the sub woofer!
Speaking of which... The Cayenne Turbo that we used to own had a subwoofer instead of a spare tire... It didn't even have one of those stupid mini / donut type spare tires. Their solution for flats was a can of fix-a-flat and an air compressor. Not that this does any good when you hit a pot hole and both tires on one size end up with quarter size holes in the side because the stupid low profile tires got pinched between the rim and the side of the pot hole... Yeah, had that happen to me once... :(

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You might want to rethink that these days...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls

"General Motors has stated that the recalled cars are safe to drive unless the driver has additional items attached to the key ring"

Yeah, FCA is not GM, but you have to remember, they are all pulling from the same pool of "engineers" up there. Maybe you work for GM for a couple of years, then move off to Ford, then off to FCA...

FCA is probably trying to make it so that you can't attach anything to the fob so that if anything does happen at some point, they can just say that you made an improper modification to their design and as such, they are not responsible.

A key that you can't put on a keyring... What a braindead design...

On a side note, my Harley uses one of those tubular locks with the round keys, like you see on vending machines. The key is not locked into the lock, so you use it to unlock the selector switch that has positions for ACC, OFF, and ON. I suspect that the security of these types of locks is questionable if you are faced with someone who has the equipment and knowledge to pick these types of locks. But, if you combine it with a locked fork and a disc brake lock, it might slow the thief down enough that he'll go somewhere else where the stealing is less time consuming. :)
This is obviously not relevant to push start ignitions, and I believe he was talking about adding house keys to the flip out mechanism on the fob. It's huge already, it has room if the jeep key was just rotated 90 degrees about its axis.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is obviously not relevant to push start ignitions, and I believe he was talking about adding house keys to the flip out mechanism on the fob. It's huge already, it has room if the jeep key was just rotated 90 degrees about its axis.
Understood... Just pointing out that design decisions can have unintended consequences...

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I have read lots of interesting things on the Jeep forum but this one is very silly. Hate the key fob LOL what's the issue here.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Sounds like someone who is far behind times. No key fobs are anything seems to be STONE AGE THOUGHT PROCESS.

The JL is an genuine Jeep no matter how much electronic devices they install. Its modern. Jeep had to move forward with technology.
Its life.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like someone who is far behind times. No key fobs are anything seems to be STONE AGE THOUGHT PROCESS.

The JL is an genuine Jeep no matter how much electronic devices they install. Its modern. Jeep had to move forward with technology.
Its life.
Some people don't like them because of their size. Others have been around long enough to realize that you shouldn't add every little whiz-bang feature that some kiddie engineer can think of to pad his resume because it can have unintended consequences. And for some situations, it actually can decrease the security of the vehicle.

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/miscellaneous/wrangler-jl-start-button-security

Does it provide enough additional benefit to outweigh the problems that it creates? For some of us, the answer is 'no'.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some people don't like them because of their size. Others have been around long enough to realize that you shouldn't add every little whiz-bang feature that some kiddie engineer can think of to pad his resume because it can have unintended consequences. And for some situations, it actually can decrease the security of the vehicle.

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/miscellaneous/wrangler-jl-start-button-security

Does it provide enough additional benefit to outweigh the problems that it creates? For some of us, the answer is 'no'.
AGAIN WHAT IS THE ISSUE IT HAS CAUSED?

I have some great vehicles in my STABLE BMW Z4 35IS, TESLA Model X P90D CHEVY 2500HD LTZ and NOW A RUBICON
Tech is not always a bad thing Doctors need it Military need it.
The World can not be at a STAND still for a few ANTI Tech people.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
AGAIN WHAT IS THE ISSUE IT HAS CAUSED?

I have some great vehicles in my STABLE BMW Z4 35IS, TESLA Model X P90D CHEVY 2500HD LTZ and NOW A RUBICON
Tech is not always a bad thing Doctors need it Military need it.
The World can not be at a STAND still for a few ANTI Tech people.
If you can't see the potential problem, then pointing them out to you would just get dismissed.

Oh, I see you're one of those Tesla fanboys... Never mind... I see where you are coming from...

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a FAN Boy of nothing. I like nice cars of any kind.

CARS.png

2018RubiconJLU1.png

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm tempted to remove the key because I hate how it easily pops out in my pocket. Has anyone removed their key piece from the fob?
Best way to fix the key popping out is to gently grind the button down just enough so you have to use the corner of your finger nail to release it. Ive tried tape and rubber bands but nothing lasts. Permanent fix, just be careful to grind just the right amount off.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Use a rubber band or Pony Tail band to keep key from popping open. Can even color co-ordinate to the JL. Rubber bands are easy to replace, but "grinding the button ?"...

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Use a rubber band or Pony Tail band to keep key from popping open. Can even color co-ordinate to the JL. Rubber bands are easy to replace, but "grinding the button ?"...
It works good, just enough so the button has to be pushed just past the plastic housing. Permanent fix.
Sponsored