Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Does this recall only replaces the steering damper? I got this replaced earlier in the year before it was an official recall. It didn't really fix anything. When going as high speeds, I still experience "death wobble" when going over uneven surfaces or bumps. There's also quite a lot of wandering. I logged into mopar and have this recall for my VIN, but it doesn't open up the description.
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a way to just let dealer mark the recall as done? I have a Falcon damper installed last year, and so far it is great. I really don't want to take it off and put it on again just to have dealer do a meaningless repair.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a way to just let dealer mark the recall as done? I have a Falcon damper installed last year, and so far it is great. I really don't want to take it off and put it on again just to have dealer do a meaningless repair.
I think if you just tell them you did that they can mark it as resolved. Worth a try.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Just called my dealer about the recall they said 3 to 5 months to get the part I laughed and said must not be too good of a recall if it takes that long to get a part or you’re not concerned about my safety
That’s crazy,called my dealership yesterday they had the part in and changed it yesterday. Along with regular oil change etc,,,

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto - August 2018 build date
Just saw my V41 recall on Mopar website -- Called my parts guy to see if he had any - None in stock but he said Mopar is limiting stock on dealers. He ordered parts for me. Said he will have them Tuesday.

Sponsored

OHIIIIIIIO

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
In the Jeep app, if you click on the recall, you can select “reimburse”. It’ll take you to the Chrysler website to punch in your VIN. Worth a shot since you eliminated the improper damper.

OHIIIIIIIO

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
Just saw my V41 recall on Mopar website -- Called my parts guy to see if he had any - None in stock but he said Mopar is limiting stock on dealers. He ordered parts for me. Said he will have them Tuesday.
On my Jeep app, it stated that parts were available when I clicked on the v41 recall. Called the dealer I have as my dealer of choice, and they got me in the next day. No questions asked, and they replaced it in an hour.
Does this recall only replaces the steering damper? I got this replaced earlier in the year before it was an official recall. It didn't really fix anything. When going as high speeds, I still experience "death wobble" when going over uneven surfaces or bumps. There's also quite a lot of wandering. I logged into mopar and have this recall for my VIN, but it doesn't open up the description.
Did they replace with the same Mopar damper thinking it was a defect? It’s the design of the original damper that’s the problem, so replacing with the same, but new one doesn’t fix the design. The new one is a different damper able to absorb more of the road feedback. I definitely notice a difference on the highway. Still has the Jeep steering wheel play, but reduced the massive amounts of slight correction and I have not noticed any type of DW. I can now use one hand to drive on the highway...for now at least.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine done.

New steering stabilizer, got the new trackbar aswell with the bulletin and one of the drag link ends was bad and swapped out.

Also tracked down a noise in 4lo. Chain slap in the transfer case. New transfer case has been installed, haven’t got a chance to really test it though

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
Hey all... I just want to reiterate to check that the bulge on your replaced steering stabilizer was indeed installed in the down position. Don't take it for granted.
When mine was installed I told the service writer about the need for it to be installed downward and he said "oh ya, we know, we do this all the time" and then disregarded any further communication. Then when they finished, I checked and sure enough the bulge was in the upward position. The tech then came out to look at it and was not happy with me when I nicely explained the new stabilizers need to have the bulge in the downward position. I became the "bad" guy. Why are some dealers so arrogant and can't accept the fact they don't know it all.
As one previous post joked about; The dealers are still putting 6 quarts of oil in the JL's. I too had six quarts in mine!

upload_2019-8-14_17-48-37-png.png

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey all... I just want to reiterate to check that the bulge on your replaced steering stabilizer was indeed installed in the down position. Don't take it for granted.
When mine was installed I told the service writer about the need for it to be installed downward and he said "oh ya, we know, we do this all the time" and then disregarded any further communication. Then when they finished, I checked and sure enough the bulge was in the upward position. The tech then came out to look at it and was not happy with me when I nicely explained the new stabilizers need to have the bulge in the downward position. I became the "bad" guy. Dam... why are some dealers so arrogant and can't accept the fact they don't know it all.
As one previous post joked about; The dealers are still putting 6 quarts of oil in the JL's. I too had six quarts in mine!

upload_2019-8-14_17-48-37-png.png
That also means they ignored the label on it with the arrow that has "front of vehicle" written on it, since that would put the bulge in the correct position.

Sponsored

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
That also means they ignored the label on it with the arrow that has "front of vehicle" written on it, since that would put the bulge in the correct position.
Yes... just amazing! Even with the arrow the tech got it wrong.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure i've read some posts that FCA was telling 19 model year owners that they "don't have the steering issue" so they might not have recalled any 19s. Mine is an 18, build date 11/18. But theres some owners who had summer 2018 build dates who don't see it as a recall either.

I guess it'll be a big mystery until they fix their website and put up the document GeeBee has asked about. :(
NOPE ITS ON THE 2019 Wranglers too. just ran my vin number and it came back as FAC# V41 recall ive also spoke with #jeepcares. the dealer said they are only being supplied with 7 stabilizers per week.. I also informed them about my ac system blowing short bursts warm air from the vents. & after I push the fresh air button off than back on it starts cooling again... looks like PCM may need flashed too...

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership just told me it would be a 10 week wait to get the recall fixed. Glad its just the steering and not something important.
get in touch with #jeepcares they will help expedite

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
They might be slowly allocating groups of VINs. They are already allocating only 1 new steering stabilizer per week per dealership and they need to manage the parts back order process.
our dealer said 7 per week
Sponsored