Sponsored

Got the V41 recall work done

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Just got the notice in the Mopar app today. I have not experienced the wandering/wobble so I’m worried about them creating a problem if they do the V41. Build date 8/18 (Sport).
Sponsored

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just got a notice on my phone today that my 2018 Wrangler 2.0 needs the V41 recall performed. Called the dealer and scheduled the work in two weeks. Funny thing is, I've never noticed a steering wander with this Jeep. I put Falken Wildpeaks on it and lowered the psi to 34#.
Guess will see if a new steering damper makes any diff.

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
After having V41 completed, check that the bulge area on the collar (passenger side of stabilizer) was indeed installed pointing down per FCA spec.
upload_2019-8-14_17-48-37.png

Last edited:

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got a notice on my phone today that my 2018 Wrangler 2.0 needs the V41 recall performed. Called the dealer and scheduled the work in two weeks. Funny thing is, I've never noticed a steering wander with this Jeep. I put Falken Wildpeaks on it and lowered the psi to 34#.
Guess will see if a new steering damper makes any diff.
Steering stabilizer is to help prevent "death wobble" -- not wandering issues.
I can tell you that first hand when mine failed on my XJ. Replaced stabilizer and DW was gone.

Last edited:

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got the notice in the Mopar app today. I have not experienced the wandering/wobble so I’m worried about them creating a problem if they do the V41. Build date 8/18 (Sport).
You should not notice any difference right now but this improved stabilizer should better your chance against "death wobble" later. The problem seems more prevalent at lower temps as the fluid moves slower. The new version allows the fluid better return characteristics.

Sponsored

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just an observation. This JL is my third Wrangler. Previously I owned a TJ and a Jk. Both were two doors and purchased new. I never did rock crawling with them but did install snow plows on both and worked them pretty hard plowing snow. Neither Jeep ever developed death wobble. Hope I never get to experience it on this JL.
BTW, no Western plow kit for the JL yet.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
After having V41 completed, check that the small expanded area on the collar (passenger side of stabilizer) was indeed installed pointing down per FCA spec.
upload_2019-8-14_17-48-37.png
Wow, good thing you posted this. Went outside just now to see that not only was the dampener installed wrong. Even thought their print out says they installed the new CCUKV411AA version, my dampener says 68251580AE version.

Edit: The recall mentions Part #CCUKV411AA, nowhere on my new stabilizer is that number. The only number on the new one is 68251580AE.

Last edited:

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, good thing you posted this. I supposedly had the recall done this morning. Went outside just now to see that not only was the dampener installed wrong, it wasn’t even the new part number! Even thought their print out says they installed the new AA version, my dampener is AE version...WTF!
AE is the correct part number. If that's what you have on the Jeep your good to go.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Just called my dealer about the recall they said 3 to 5 months to get the part I laughed and said must not be too good of a recall if it takes that long to get a part or you’re not concerned about my safety
It took them over 2 weeks to get my JL in for the failed rocker arms...very nice.

Sponsored

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon in Ocean Blue Metallic
You should not notice any difference right now but this improved stabilizer should better your chance against "death wobble" later. The problem seems more prevalent at lower temps as the fluid moves slower. The new version allows the fluid better return characteristics.
No, this isn't really correct. A steering stabilizer isn't part of the cure for true death wobble. Death wobble comes from real problems in the steering alignment, wrong/broken parts, and in Wranglers one of the most prevalent causes is worn ball joints from running larger than stock tires. Worn ball joints is a huge issue with death wobble.

A steering stabilizer will only dampen bump steer and some flighty steering issues. See this article for a good explanation. People have long thought a steering stabilizer fixes death wobble and that is a dangerous thought.

https://txtire.com/blog/view/steering-stabilizers-the-truth

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, this isn't really correct. A steering stabilizer isn't part of the cure for true death wobble. Death wobble comes from real problems in the steering alignment, wrong/broken parts, and in Wranglers one of the most prevalent causes is worn ball joints from running larger than stock tires. Worn ball joints is a huge issue with death wobble.

A steering stabilizer will only dampen bump steer and some flighty steering issues. See this article for a good explanation. People have long thought a steering stabilizer fixes death wobble and that is a dangerous thought.

https://txtire.com/blog/view/steering-stabilizers-the-truth
You are absolutely correct that other badly worn steering components can cause DW, additionally the stabilizer can also cause DW if defective, without other defective steering components. I said "better your chance against DW."
Assuming the other steering components are in fairly good condition a bad stabilizer can cause DW. I know because it happened on my XJ... all my steering components were fine but the stabilizer failed and it was a scary thing when DW started. For me a new stabilizer corrected that and was able to put another 40K on it with no problems before picking up my 2018 JLU.

Last edited:

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I'm at the dealer to get a wheel sensor replaced on my 19 JLU and he wanted to do this recall too, had to ask him to hold off so I could swap out my Fox stabilizer with the original Mopar part first.

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Got my recall and called immediately, Parts are on order....who knows when this will happen?
Sponsored