Sponsored

V41 recall done. Quite happy with the results.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had the V41 recall done along with an oil change, and tire rotation at my local Jeep dealer Hendrick here in Concord. Done in an hour which surprised me. The steering (on my Sahara) is more crisp, and the side to side play in the steering wheel is all but gone. Just wanted to report my experience with the new damper for those that have questions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I had the V41 recall done along with an oil change, and tire rotation at my local Jeep dealer Hendrick here in Concord. Done in an hour which surprised me. The steering (on my Sahara) is more crisp, and the side to side play in the steering wheel is all but gone. Just wanted to report my experience with the new damper for those that have questions.
Mine made it much worse. It was on rails before the recall, and now it drives like a waterbed. Not a big fan.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Mine made it much worse. It was on rails before the recall, and now it drives like a waterbed. Not a big fan.
It's quite odd how this could happen. Mine actually drives much better.

Give it time grasshopper, you will notice things. Good luck.
Now you got me scared......:surprised:If something changes it's gonna go back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you only have five quarts of oil in there... yeah, that’s still a thing
Me, and the Service Writer had a conversation about that Tanner. He was the same writer that got me 6 quarts on the last change. He did much better this time.

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
After the recall my Sahara drives way better than before! Before I has a TON of play in the steering wheel and now everything is nice a tight.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep was driving pretty well prior to V41; I detect slight improvement after.
@Wabujitsu Jeff, that would have been a better way for me to state the difference in mine. It's not a sports car, and I don't expect it to drive that way either. With the solid front axle it's going to drive different, but I think some don't quite understand that. IMHO

And, thank you for your service to our great country 1st Sgt.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
Same here. No play in the wheel and handles the road much better at higher speeds.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Now you got me scared......:surprised:If something changes it's gonna go back.
Handles better but still play in the steering wheel which sports car or solid front axle or not, there shouldn’t be, any. Vibrating went down significantly.

So, as I’ve stated elsewhere, close but no cigar. Patiently awaiting V42.

Your results may differ, batteries not included.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How could a steering damper affect steering play?
Perhaps my definition of "play" is different?
To me, play means you can move the steering wheel some amount without it affecting the tires.

Steering damper could affect steering resistance I suppose but play should be the same.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
I had the same exact thing done today as well. Dealer performed the V41 to spec. I drove it about 15 miles to work afterwards, mostly highway and mostly at 65 mph. There is no noticeable difference.

The invoice says "5" for the units of oil. I'll still confirm 30 minutes after I get home tonight.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
How could a steering damper affect steering play?
Perhaps my definition of "play" is different?
To me, play means you can move the steering wheel some amount without it affecting the tires.

Steering damper could affect steering resistance I suppose but play should be the same.
I agree, and that may be what makes the difference in the way mine drives. But it be better, so I be happy. :)

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
@Wabujitsu Jeff, that would have been a better way for me to state the difference in mine. It's not a sports car, and I don't expect it to drive that way either. With the solid front axle it's going to drive different, but I think some don't quite understand that. IMHO

And, thank you for your service to our great country 1st Sgt.
Jim, you are very welcome; I was honored to do so. Slight correction - I am a Sergeant First Class, one rank below First Sergeant - although I have filled in as the unit First Sergeant a few times, once for over a year.

I agree with you regarding the lack of understanding of the handling characteristics of the Jeep Wrangler. As an example, the dead spot in the steering is typical of ALL Pitman-arm-engineered steering configurations. It cannot be eliminated; it is IMPOSSIBLE to do so.

A quote from this link https://www.carbibles.com/car-steering-systems/
“Majority of the steering box mechanisms operating the Pitman arm include a dead spot, or slack, where the steering wheel need to be turned slightly even before initiating any movement to the front wheels. The dead spot or slack can be easily adjusted or tightened; unfortunately, there really is no way you can eliminate it.”

Peace.
Sponsored