Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I know some models have an ideal mounting location under the steering wheel for a radio. If you pull off the lower cover around the wheel, you will see it.
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Love that idea, but the manual explicitly says to not fold down the windshield with the SOT. I'll need to figure out another way to route it.
If you have the automatic, you should have a grommet in the driver's side firewall you can pass the wiring through.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'm open to suggestions. I just got the Jeep and I have a crapload of things to install. I went with their 15 watt version over their 50 in hopes that it'd be a bit easier to find a spot for it.
I used velcro and mounted mine in the passenger footwell to keep it out of the way and easily access the factory AUX switch wiring. I did velcro so I could remove it quickly, but have not once had the need to because when I remove my mic, nobody even knows it's there. Also, there's enough slack for me to bring the mic all the way to my mouth, but not too much that the cable hangs down and bothers passengers.

Sorry the pic is a bit blurry. It was hard to get the camera to focus in the dark.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting 1659573253111

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting 1659573389897

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I used velcro and mounted mine in the passenger footwell to keep it out of the way and easily access the factory AUX switch wiring. I did velcro so I could remove it quickly, but have not once had the need to because when I remove my mic, nobody even knows it's there. Also, there's enough slack for me to bring the mic all the way to my mouth, but not too much that the cable hangs down and bothers passengers.

Sorry the pic is a bit blurry. It was hard to get the camera to focus in the dark.

Looks good. I ended up installing mine behind the panel under the steering wheel. This Velcro works great for attaching it: https://a.co/d/aBiKs8M

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I put mine on the cowl mount. Blends in well. I got a short antenna wire just for this.

Scott

That is one of the worst places to put that 3db gain Ghost antenna. 1st of all there is little line of sight so your transmit range will be lower than normal. Jeep and lights block signl an lights will interfere with the antenn signal. This type of antenna is best mounted high on vehicle as in roof rack mount.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MicroMobile MXTA25 3dB Gain Ghost Antenna

You can catch a glimpse of it here above the fender.
This is a bad location for this type of antenna. Your signal is being blocked by the Jeep to the right side, best on the left side. Might work OK in a small group but your 15 or 50 wall radio is being wasted by the wrong antenna in the wrong locagtion. Where as you might have reached out 15 miles or more, you are probably limited to 2 miles max

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I installed a midlandx275 yesterday with the stealth stubby and rugged radio cowl mount. Took me 15 minutes. It's a lot more staticy than I was hoping for but I'm hearing people States away right now, hopefully it's crystal clearish on jeep runs.
I am pretty sure your static is due to the type of antenna and where it is mounted. Optimal location for the stubby is on top of the roof using a roof rack mount where it has a clear 360 view of the horizons...........................

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm surprised that the magnetic mount antenna was included, since it clearly shows the 3db gain ghost antenna on the box. That being said, everything I read about the little magnetic mount antenna says it works well, just hard to use on a JL.

--EDIT--

My MXT115 came w/ the magnetic mount antenna as well.
The VP4 kit comes with what you see on the box including a universal roof rack mount, 6 meter cable, Ghost antenna and also the magnetic antenna. Not sure why the magnetic antenna is included because many newer Jeeps, JLs and JTs included, do not have any horizontal magnetic metal to attach it to.

You are better off with a Wrangler to buy the radio only and then add cable & antenna from Midland. Midland will be offering mounts for CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, JL, JT in late 2023 or early 2024 rumor has it. They are selling these specialized mounts now at some shows where they have a "booth" set up to sell and are matching up their current and new antennas accordingly. You can find these probably at the following shows in Sept-Nov 2023: Teton Overland, Idaho Falls, ID, -- Jeepstock, SMORR, Seymour, MO -- Pamona Off Road Show, Pamona, CA -- Overland Expo East, Arrington, VA -- AZ Dirt Expo, Scottsdale, AZ

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
That is one of the worst places to put that 3db gain Ghost antenna. 1st of all there is little line of sight so your transmit range will be lower than normal. Jeep and lights block signl an lights will interfere with the antenn signal. This type of antenna is best mounted high on vehicle as in roof rack mount.
I’m not looking for max range, but it works way better than the hand heads. Almost too good, I’m hearing a lot of chatter that the handhelds don’t pick up.

Scott

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Not sure why the magnetic antenna is included because many newer Jeeps, JLs and JTs included, do not have any horizontal magnetic metal to attach it to.
There are bolts in front of the windshield that work surprisingly well. No, not the ideal location, but what I thought would be a temporary location has worked good enough for ever group run I've been on.

Eventually I'll mount it on the metal stand above the AEV spare. It'll just take a while to run and hide that wire.
Sponsored