JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel
Is this a bad idea ?
Or which antenna works best on the tailgate.
I just picked up the KG1000G and was looking to possibly stay away from a front hood mount.
The radio came with the Nagoya UT-72G with a mag mount (mostly useless ) its does unscrew and was thinking about fashioning some sort of bracket for the rear tailgate for it to attach to.
Any thoughts or suggestions
Thx

8C842395-8AB9-4583-8271-3CB1B683BEBC.jpeg

ECE7EFE4-0BD2-4ADF-9D6E-4149184D6C84.jpeg
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Do you know the thread size and length? I might have an idea.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I have the KG1000 in my rig. I have the antenna mounted where the AM/FM antenna is and works fantastic. I literally never use AM/FM and use Satellite or streaming from my phone for all music/audio

OP
OP
JLUMich

JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel
I’m planning on using my stock antenna for now, where did you end up mounting the KG1000?

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

UHF degrades much more rapidly in coax than lower frequency radio services like CB. Ideally, you want as short a run as possible for maximum efficiency. Using standard RG58 cable you'll experience ~0.6db of loss on a 6' cable vs 1.8db on an 18'. Doesn't sound like much but keep in mind doubling of power equals 3db. Does this actually matter? Probably not, if you're just trying to chat with your group on trail and are running a 50 watt mobile unit, but if you are trying to push your signal as far as possible to use repeaters and the like, it will obviously be a factor.

Here is my CoolTech mount near the factory FM antenna if it suits your liking. IMO it blends in pretty well even with a high gain 2M/70CM antenna.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna on tailgate?? IMG_2811.JPG

As for mounting with a remote head unit like you've got. I've got my radio mounted under the passenger seat. I applied velcro to the bottom of the unit and cut a few small slits in the carpet that i used to zip tie the unit down. Did the same in the last rig, and it works great. I've never had any issues with heat, vibration, rattling, or shifting of the unit.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna on tailgate?? IMG_1526.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna on tailgate?? IMG_1530.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna on tailgate?? IMG_1525.JPG

Sponsored

Soggybottomboy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon JLU.
Occupation
Retired from Retards
UHF degrades much more rapidly in coax than lower frequency radio services like CB. Ideally, you want as short a run as possible for maximum efficiency. Using standard RG58 cable you'll experience ~0.6db of loss on a 6' cable vs 1.8db on an 18'. Doesn't sound like much but keep in mind doubling of power equals 3db. Does this actually matter? Probably not, if you're just trying to chat with your group on trail and are running a 50 watt mobile unit, but if you are trying to push your signal as far as possible to use repeaters and the like, it will obviously be a factor.

Here is my CoolTech mount near the factory FM antenna if it suits your liking. IMO it blends in pretty well even with a high gain 2M/70CM antenna.

As for mounting with a remote head unit like you've got. I've got my radio mounted under the passenger seat. I applied velcro to the bottom of the unit and cut a few small slits in the carpet that i used to zip tie the unit down. Did the same in the last rig, and it works great. I've never had any issues with heat, vibration, rattling, or shifting of the unit.

Where did you mount the faceplate?

SBB

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Where did you mount the faceplate?

SBB
Different radio obviously, but here is my faceplate mounted on a 67 designs mount attached to the vector off road e-dock.

Also in this picture is the CMM grab bar ball, attached to a 67 designs arm and mag mount for the mic

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna on tailgate?? IMG_1604

OP
OP
JLUMich

JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel

Thats a nice spot, not sure why I’m
obsessing over a rear antenna mount. As far as the cable run - i thought maybe mounting the radio near the rear tailgate and using the detached faceplate up front to keep my coax cable run short.
this isn't a fully baked idea yet for sure !

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thats a nice spot, not sure why I’m
obsessing over a rear antenna mount. As far as the cable run - i thought maybe mounting the radio near the rear tailgate and using the detached faceplate up front to keep my coax cable run short.
this isn't a fully baked idea yet for sure !
That’s a pretty good idea too! You should be able to extend the mic cable easy enough, i don’t see why it would be an issue.

Sponsored

Moose568

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
I have the KG1000 in my rig. I have the antenna mounted where the AM/FM antenna is and works fantastic. I literally never use AM/FM and use Satellite or streaming from my phone for all music/audio
Got a pic and info on mount? Thanks

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna on tailgate?? image

How do you run the cable from the CoolTech mount? Do you drill a hole or something to get under the cowl?

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

How do you run the cable from the CoolTech mount? Do you drill a hole or something to get under the cowl?
If you unbolt the windshield and pull it forward you can slide it under the corner of the windshield. It has a thick foam seal that will self heal over the coax without harming it
Sponsored