Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
My Midland MXT275VP4 came with this antenna instead of the plastic-covered stubby. Should that be a concern for me?
I'm surprised that the magnetic mount antenna was included, since it clearly shows the 3db gain ghost antenna on the box. That being said, everything I read about the little magnetic mount antenna says it works well, just hard to use on a JL.

--EDIT--

My MXT115 came w/ the magnetic mount antenna as well.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm surprised that the magnetic mount antenna was included, since it clearly shows the 3db gain ghost antenna on the box. That being said, everything I read about the little magnetic mount antenna says it works well, just hard to use on a JL.

--EDIT--

My MXT115 came w/ the magnetic mount antenna as well.
I haven't done a load of research on it. I'm guessing that it doesn't have 3db of gain (3db is pretty massive). What about it is hard to use on a JL?

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My Midland MXT275VP4 came with this antenna instead of the plastic-covered stubby. Should that be a concern for me?
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting PXL_20220711_134206171
From what I remember, it’s the same gain as the Ghost antenna, so the performance will be the same. But you didn’t get what you paid for and a magnetic mount on a JL just isn’t going to work out well.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't done a load of research on it. I'm guessing that it doesn't have 3db of gain (3db is pretty massive). What about it is hard to use on a JL?
Being a magnetic mount, not sure where you could put it, unless I'm missing something. I mounted the 3db ghost antenna as shown below. Well, almost as shown! :CWL: Just the mount, obviously!

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting IMG_1870.JPG

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Being a magnetic mount, not sure where you could put it, unless I'm missing something. I mounted the 3db ghost antenna as shown below. Well, almost as shown! :CWL: Just the mount, obviously!

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting IMG_1870.JPG
Thanks. In theory I could mount it on the roof (Sky One-Touch), but running the wire up there could be an issue.

I've opened a case with them and hopefully they'll simply mail the correct antenna.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. In theory I could mount it on the roof (Sky One-Touch), but running the wire up there could be an issue.
Ah! I didn't realize the SOT was metal! My apologies, learn something new everyday!

Hopefully they'll fix you up - that 3db antenna is $50 on it's own.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought the 275 w/ stubby kit. I don't remember getting a bracket, but I did get the stubby. Did you get the ethernet extension? It's also pictured on box. I got a stubby and a longer antenna.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I've opened a case with them and hopefully they'll simply mail the correct antenna.
Where did you mount your radio? I've got a SOT and was contemplating in the footwell, but my passenger side has extra storage on the tunnel, and I fear I'd keep bashing the radio with my leg in the driver's side.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I mounted mine HERE. The 115 and 275 are similar sized and powered, although the 275 has the controls on the mike. No issue w/ hitting the radio at all, though if you have the 275 you can mount it in a hidden location, like under the dash or by the glove box.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

FWIW, I mounted mine HERE. The 115 and 275 are similar sized and powered, although the 275 has the controls on the mike. No issue w/ hitting the radio at all, though if you have the 275 you can mount it in a hidden location, like under the dash or by the glove box.
Guess I'll test fit mine - it is a Retevis RB86, a bit bulkier than the 275. I'd initially planned on mounting it on the dash, but they say don't mount in the sun.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ah! I didn't realize the SOT was metal! My apologies, learn something new everyday!

Hopefully they'll fix you up - that 3db antenna is $50 on it's own.
I foolishly assumed that it was metal, but it's not.

They're sending the missing ghost antenna, so I should be ok.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Where did you mount your radio? I've got a SOT and was contemplating in the footwell, but my passenger side has extra storage on the tunnel, and I fear I'd keep bashing the radio with my leg in the driver's side.
I'm open to suggestions. I just got the Jeep and I have a crapload of things to install. I went with their 15 watt version over their 50 in hopes that it'd be a bit easier to find a spot for it.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Love that idea, but the manual explicitly says to not fold down the windshield with the SOT. I'll need to figure out another way to route it.
Sponsored