GMRS antenna mounting

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I emailed the Midland engineers for their mounting recommendations for their MXTA 25 ghost antenna. This was their response:

Compromises are the norm when choosing and mounting an antenna, but I'll just list some general points that improve performance. I doubt that mirror mounting location will give acceptable performance.

1. The best place to mount an antenna is in the center of the highest metal surface on the vehicle, often the roof. If the metal surface is the hood, center mounting is not practical, and one side of the cowl is generally used.
2. All our antennas perform better when mounted on a ground plane, meaning a metal surface beneath the antenna. The larger the surface the better, but a minimum of 1/4 wavelength radius (about 6" radius at 462 MHz) is a general rule.
3. Using a permanent mount will normally give better performance than a magnetic mount.
4. If using a mount like the MXTA24, the antenna will perform better if the saddle washer contacts with metal that is also bonded with the vehicle chassis and transceiver ground.
5. Mounting the antenna next to a vertical metal surface will shield it from radio signals, and block the radiation pattern, from that direction. Plastic, fiberglass and glass surfaces will also block the signal to some extent, they but not as much as metal surfaces.
6. Consideration should always be given to maintaining the minimum separation distance from the antenna to humans, when choosing the mounting location and before transmitting. This distance is listed in the owner's manual RF exposure statement, 2-3 ft for the MXT line.

So I put mine on the hood. I did have to drill a hole but I I had a drill many holes for the fenders and rocker protection so I figured, one more couldn't hurt...

I was gonna put it on/around the sport bar but rule 6 made me rethink that.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting IMG_1139

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
@Silent Panda, you are very brave in drilling into that aluminum hood. Kudos. How is the signal?

Sponsored

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Glad it worked out. Still have not decided where my antenna is going. I'm more worried on where to place all the extra antenna excess cable.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting 76FC5D95-4831-48F7-8861-2A5F771E0900

This looks robust, from AAL. I should have it in a day or two. Still need to figure out and purchase an antenna.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The excess antenna wire, where are you stashing it?

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I went with the Midland MXT275 and mounted it on the side of my gear shift. I bought the kit from cool tech LLC. Used there mic mount and I prefer the rear mount location for my 6db antenna and also bought the mount from Cool Tech. GMRS License when I got it was only $70 and took very little time to complete the process and it is good for 10 years. The rear mounted antenna has worked very well for me and the only time I have an issue with it is when opening my rear glass. The tail gate has to be opened all the way or the glass will hit the antenna, really no big deal.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
The excess antenna wire, where are you stashing it?
good point, and I’m not sure. I presume coiled antenna for GMRS is detrimental to performance, as is for CB (?). I may try to source a length that is near my need. Some length was provided with my radio, not sure of the length.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting 76FC5D95-4831-48F7-8861-2A5F771E0900

This looks robust, from AAL. I should have it in a day or two. Still need to figure out and purchase an antenna.
I like that a lot. I'd love to have it but reversed with the antenna closer to the A-pillar. That's only because I've got cowling lights and just don't want them reflecting back on me. But that looks like it would get a pretty decent ground plane with that mount!

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I like that a lot. I'd love to have it but reversed with the antenna closer to the A-pillar. That's only because I've got cowling lights and just don't want them reflecting back on me. But that looks like it would get a pretty decent ground plane with that mount!
Do you know if having a steel hood vs aluminum matters for ground-plane? I have the steel hood, but am still thinking I should select an antenna without the ground plane requirement in view of mounting location.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if having a steel hood vs aluminum matters for ground-plane? I have the steel hood, but am still thinking I should select an antenna without the ground plane requirement in view of mounting location.
I don't know for sure, but I think both metals conduct in a similar manner, but I'm no expert.

But for a mount like that the grounding would occur through the bolts holding it on, and those are steel and I believe they are anchored in steel.