Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Hi everyone,

I know I am jumping the gun considering 2022 production hasn't started yet, but I am just too excited! I will do my best to keep the thread as detailed and organized as possible. To do this, I am planning to create an index in post #2 with links to the individual posts where I outline the mods and install. Hopefully this will make it easy to follow for those looking to do the same things or skip around.

Order: 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

- Sarge Green
- 2.0L Turbo w/ 8-speed auto
- 4:1 Rock-Trac® Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4WD System
- Integrated Off-Road Camera
- Standard 17" x 7.5" Machined Wheels with Black Pockets
- LT285/70R17C OWL BFG KO2's
- Black 3-Piece Hard Top
- Gorilla Glass Windshield
- Black Leather Seats
- 8.4" Screen
- Alpine Premium Audio
- Remote-Start
- Remote-Proximity Keyless-Entry
- Trailer Tow w/ Heavy Duty Electrical
- LED Lighting
- Steel Bumper
- Cold Weather Group

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 1638946666903

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 1638946716504

Disclaimer: This is going to be a fairly slow drip for a while. I expect to be very happy with the stock setup on my Rubicon... at least until I park next to someone else with bigger tires!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Delivery Timeline:

12/6/2021:
- Order Placed
- VON/VIN Assigned

12/7/2021:
- Parts Allocated/Scheduling

12/14/2021:
- Estimated Ship Date 1/8

1/17/2022:
- Build Sheet Found via Cryptostickers

1/19/2022:
- Window Sticker Found via Cryptostickers
- Order Shipped with no ETA via Jeep Chat

1/21/2022:
- Confirmation of shipment via salesperson
- ETA 1/23

1/23/2022:
- Jeep Arrival Confirmed

1/29/2022:
- Pickup Date

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Gupton Sales Experience:

I reached out to Gupton Motors in Springfield, TN on Saturday 12/4. I called and didn't have anyone in particular in mind to speak to, but was curious what the deal was that everyone was getting at the time. I had been reading about excellent pricing and great overall experiences and figured it was worth a shot.

Not sure who actually answered the phone, but I told them I read about some deals on the Jeep forum and it was recommended I speak to Daniel. He was out of office so I was connected with Renee. She was very quick to email over the details and I was able to send her my build the same day. Unfortunately, I had to wait for Daniel to back in the office on 12/6 to get my deposit and officially submit my build, but it didn't seem to impact my timeline!

From there, I was sent my VIN and VON later in the afternoon on Monday 12/6. On 12/14 I asked for a copy of the POC for my records and Renee told me I was scheduled! Excellent! So the waiting begins... I did my best not to reach out until shipping, but couldn't resist the week of my scheduled build.

I pinged Jeep Chat here and there to see updates on the build, but overall they were not very useful and recommended I reached out to my salesperson if I wanted specifics. Exactly what I was trying to avoid!

I eventually reached out when my window sticker populated on crytostickers and Renee emailed back a couple days later that my Jeep was in fact built and ready to ship! A few hours after that Renee emailed me again that it was just loaded onto the truck and would be there Sunday!

We scheduled pickup, negotiated trade-in value, discussed financing, and everything else over email Monday-Wednesday before my Saturday arrival and the process was EXTREMELY smooth after I arrived.

They are a small shop so you will do a bit of waiting, but they are extremely efficient and don't waste any time with warranties and whatnot. Also, I was able to climb all over and mess with my Jeep while I waited so it didn't feel very long.

I give the overall experience 5 stars. All of my emails were answered quickly and everything was cut and dry from the beginning. Never had to worry about a thing and that's exactly what I was looking for in the buying process.

If/when I get another Jeep, I will definitely look at Gupton.

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Pricing:

Gupton's pricing was very cut and dry. 5% below invoice on all sold orders, $500 doc fee, and $1000 nonrefundable deposit.

With a pricier Jeep build, the $500 eats up about 1% of those savings so keep that in mind when comparing to your local dealerships if they have competitive offers.

An additional 1% below invoice was offered if I used their financing. Their best rates were 2.99%, you had to finance a minimum of $25,000, and it must be for a minimum of 60 months. Also, if you take this offer you cannot refinance for at least 7 months. Personally, I didn't want to finance that long or that much so went with my credit union. Rates were 2.24% for 36 months.

Half way through the waiting period, the Tread Lightly discount was also put back in place. This consists of 1% below invoice on all sold orders, Gupton allowed me to stack this on to my original order getting me to 6% below invoice. This is a $100 annual membership and it takes 30 days to go into effect so register before you order!

Lastly, I want to include that all orders through Gupton are price protected. My Jeep would have gone up ~$3,000 in price if this were not the case. Very happy to find this out as this is not standard at all dealerships. Check before you order!

Delivery MSRP (with price increase): $56,610
Gupton Pricing: $48,134
Doc Fee: $500
Temporary Tag Fee: $7.50

All in, I came out at around 14% below MSRP pricing at the time of delivery.

Back to Index

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal

First mod has been installed! I have quite a few smaller/easier mods planned for the coming weeks and the dead pedal was first to arrive!

For those who don't know, a dead pedal is basically a fake clutch that you can rest your foot on while you drive. I don't feel like I need one during my daily commute, but I definitely miss having one on drives over 3-4 hours. Most of the time, if they come with the car from the factory, they are built into the floor pan.

I chose the M.O.R.E Dead pedal because it allows me to slip my foot underneath to stretch if needed and had really positive reviews. Not 100% sure it's worth the price, but so far so good! There are 3 adjustment settings and mine is on the setting closest to the driver. I might need to move it to the middle setting, but I am going to try it here for at least a week or two.

Install is fairly straight forward and can be done with a few hand tools. If you are smaller, younger, or relatively flexible, the install should only take you 15-20 minutes. For those that don't fall into any of those categories, I have heard it can take a few hours. Fortunately, I fit into all of those categories so it took about 25 minutes total to install on the furthest setting from the driver without tightening the bolts as a test fit, and then I installed and tightened the bolts on the closest setting. It will probably take just as long to undo it and move to the middle setting if I decide to adjust.

Purchase Link

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 39A17D46-0ED1-4F79-901E-F205FD2DD5CC_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy A20E17E9-AB1C-4652-BCB9-25E4311ED6A8_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy B1D6824B-1C77-4FDF-9B1D-FD79018178B7_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy C1274346-ABD5-4794-A594-DB1DE1F21361_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 337A2DBC-9203-496A-8EEA-A0124D2CFCFC_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 6A1A04DA-0D74-4705-8133-1D6871E95784_1_105_c

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

WeatherTech Cargo Liner

Probably one of the easiest installs you can do on a new Jeep! Went with WeatherTech because it gives me the ability to cut out holes for the hooks and subwoofer if I chose, run the back seat in or out, and still give me full coverage for dirty boots, tools, or whatever else I need to haul around.

Super Happy so far!

Disclaimer: It was rolled up in a tube upon arrival and hasn't had time to heat up and flatten out. I reinstalled the rear seat to help keep it flat until then. I will update with more photos if/when it flattens.

Purchase Link

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy E7088D21-5B78-429E-9DA7-A05E0678DDDD_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 0F128A2F-75E9-492C-9AA6-0BACEB70A9B5_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 9B394A76-8A50-4353-9549-6A449C46590D_1_105_c

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

67 Designs Rail

Another day, another mod! Today my 67 Designs Rail and phone mount arrived! I purchased the bundle that includes the second phone mount for a passenger (per my favorite passenger's request) and a GoPro mount, but did not mount either yet. I don't like more clutter than there needs to be and the additional mounts can be added and removed quickly.

Install was extremely simple and only took about 20 minutes. I did not fold the windshield to install the additional screws. Instead, I used a socket wrench with a phillips head bit inserted, applied some pressure, and started ratcheting. Took a bit a force for the threads to bite, but very little pressure is needed after that.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with the quality of all components. My only complaint is that the arms and mount are still able to slide left to right a bit when I apply pressure to insert my phone. They may still have a bit of grease on them from the manufacturing process. At this point, all it does is prevent me from mounting and removing my phone with one hand. Not a deal breaker, but I am definitely going to see if I can get the joints tighter or clean any remaining grease off.

EDIT: Definitely not greasy, I just needed to adjust the angle the arm was sticking off the rail. I now have it much closer to parallel rather than the near 90 degree angle I had initially. Now there is no movement with one handed operation.

Purchase Link

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 3D951909-A655-409D-A54F-F6B6C71CB076_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 5E56B179-4B2F-46F5-A482-3E26AA29C766_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy B1C728FA-41BE-45F2-AEB1-D0BF7314AFC5_1_105_c

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Factor 55 Recovery Gear

Not really a mod, but just acquired some of the basics!
I already have some stuff from my last Jeep, but nothing this nice and wanted to make sure everything was fresh and safe. I am of the belief that recovery gear is not something you should skimp on, and I know Factor 55 makes some of the best!

Super happy with the quality so far. Can't wait to put it to use!

Purchase Link

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 47441ACC-4CC9-45A7-BA9E-9DAC1C120928_1_105_c

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Midland MXT275

Going to have a few parts to this post as I mixed and matched with more than came in the box, but it's pretty straight forward.

Before I start, I am not a radio guy. I knew nothing about them before purchasing, but the MXT275 seems to fit the bill of everything I want. It's compact, simple, and semi-permanent depending on how you power and mount it. Did a bunch of research and it seems like CB is on it's way out, and I can always pick up a couple of handheld GMRS radios later for friends to borrow (assuming they are licensed) and for spotters.

To legally operate this radio, you must be licensed through the FCC. At the time I am posting this it is still $70, but the price is supposed to drop to around $30 at some point. No classes are required.

For the install, I followed the directions on the attached video for my wiring and mounting location, but that's about it. I did think the velcro was an excellent idea and copied that as well; however, I have yet to remove it because with the doors on and the mic disconnected, it is invisible.

Chose to go with a different antenna, mount, and location that made my install time much longer. These will be in the following post.

Install video:

My AUX wires were connected and routed a little different, but it was clear it was the correct bundle after I did some searching on the forum. You will only have these wires if you have the factory installed AUX switches. The kits installed after the fact do not have the wires I used to tap into the battery.

I am aware the way I have the antenna wire wrapped and routed can potentially cause issues with SWR. I am currently waiting on some adapters for my SWR meter to make sure I don't have to redo anything, but according to Midland, tucking extra wire away in the fashion it was shipped shouldn't impact SWR. Just like their antennas are pre-tuned so they shouldn't need to be adjusted. We shall see, and I will update with any changes later.

Lastly, I want to comment on the Midland mic mount. It's light and a good size, but the adhesive is terrible. I left the mic hanging over night after letting the adhesive set for 24 hours and I came out to the mic resting on the floor. I have since removed the remaining foam and adhesive and used 3M indoor/outdoor double sided tape to replace it. It feels exponentially more solid and it has only been sitting for a couple of hours. I will update on this if it fails too.

Purchase Link

AUX wiring:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy DE459967-147E-4292-AE20-D832071AD421_1_105_c

Radio wired and mounted:
- You can also see that I zip tied the AUX wires up along the existing wiring harness against the fire wall.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 05ED2D08-A457-48B4-AC4A-E796C5361659_1_105_c

Wiring behind kick panel:
- Leftover antenna wire can be seen as well as the ground location used.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 67CB2E61-1E23-4489-8CC6-159850D9CF04_1_105_c

Mic mounting location:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 5A82A1A1-A10D-4070-8DF6-D05ED0DF9F4C_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 3048A787-A92D-422E-884C-D1949743F171_1_105_c

Back to Index

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Cool Tech Antenna Bundle

This bundle includes the Midland 6 db antenna, Midland coax, and the Cool Tech JL NMO Mounting Bracket.

Super happy with this bundle! Not the best location for maximum signal, but it gets the antenna out of the way for tight trails and helps it not to stand out in the city.

Bracket install took maybe 15 minutes to figure out how to remove the backup camera housing and pull the spare tire. From there, close the tailgate and remove the two bolts, throw the bracket on, and tighten down the new bolts! Fairly simple.

The hard part was running the coax. I HIGHLY recommend purchasing some interior trim removal tools. Even with these I managed to break one of the clips for the tailgate trim, but it doesn't seem to be needed upon reinstallation. Everything is good as new!

First thing you need to do is punch or drill a hole in one of the rubber grommets on the tailgate. I used various screwdrivers to make sure the grommet was as water tight as possible with the coax and it was definitely the tougher choice. I ended up having to stick needle nose plier through the punctured hole to grab the end of the coax and drag it through. Maybe not the best idea, but so far so good and it is definitely a tight seal!

After it's through, you will need to choose how you want to route the wire. I went behind the passenger side cargo panel, up top near the hardtop bolts, then down the door sill. The door sill is EXTREMELY tight and a bigger coax would certainly not fit. It might be a better move to run up the roll bar and and down to the glove box.

Overall, the entire process including all wiring for the radio took around 4-5 hours. Pulling those interior panels on a Jeep less than a month old is nerve wracking for sure and really makes you take your time. Also, keep in mind I had no idea what I was doing and was learning everything as I went. I am extremely happy with the way it all turned out and hope some of you can learn from what I did!

Purchase Link

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 9C62B7E9-BED2-448D-8F34-236A18E83EA7_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 1D05D7E2-D8E9-493E-B657-624E5A025A39_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 55B1DAFA-E9B6-40BC-8EF9-1D84928F15A0_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 9FE12EB9-002D-43A8-8F44-45F1B8D26E68_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 7B1AA8F3-DAB3-40DE-8881-BB922171ABD4_1_105_c

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Maxtrax Mounting System V1

So this one is a bit creative, but I can't take all the credit. I was having a hard time figuring out how to make everything work when I came across this post by aseeber and decided to do the same thing!

First component was the RockSlide Engineering EZ Rack. Super simple design and the ratchet strap is plenty long to accommodate any sized tire. Only complaint is the powder coat is pretty susceptible to abrasion. I managed to scratch some of it off while test fitting everything, but I am not too worried.

Purchase Link

Next was figuring out how to mount the Maxtrax to the bracket. This is where aseeber's post helped me out. I decided to use the Warrior Products Maxtrax Mount in aluminum. Did not see the need to add any more weight than I have to, to the factory tailgate.

Purchase Link

Lastly, had to chose which color Maxtrax I wanted! Hard to beat the original orange. High visibility and it looks great against Sarge Green. I also went with their mounting pins so I can carry four boards if I want when I go to V2, but that won't be for a long time. V1 will not support four traction boards because of the lack of clearance between the tail light and mounting system when opened all the way.

Purchase Link

All in all, everything was pretty straight forward. I needed to test fit the EZ Rack to see how low I could mount the WP Maxtrax Mount, purchase smaller hardware than what came from Warrior (EZ Rack has smaller holes), then bolt it all together!

One thing that concerned me and I easily solved was that with all the mounting points near one location on the WP Maxtrax Mount, it gives it a lot of room to wobble and bow under the weight of the traction boards. I just grabbed a few zip ties and looped them through the nearest holes and everything tightened up tons. No more wobbling or bowing, and it's super easy to cut them and remove if I get stuck.

Biggest concern right now is interference with my GMRS antenna. I might have to move everything to the other side, but so far, so good!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 9F179407-7BF2-44E8-8943-FC0086A98327_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 2F11C59E-6BC5-44A6-8E78-988639AA7A8A_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 3DF21DC5-59A8-4A9F-A67E-1BC575D7CF28_1_105_c

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Shovel Mounting System V1

Did this a few weeks ago, but finally taking the time to add it to the build thread. Picked up a couple of Quick Fist mounts, some hardware, and a shovel and bolted it all on to the other Rockslide Engineering EZ Rack.

Quick and simple install, and I have the ability to mount everything to my spare in just a few minutes and remove it when I am done so nothing gets stolen. Also go the chance to test it all out off road! The Maxtrax wobble a bit, but nothing to be worried about. Everything stayed put going 70-75mph for 90 minutes on the highway as well.

Highly recommend this setup if you don't plan to carry your gear with you all the time, and don't want to worry about throwing muddy traction boards or shovels inside after use.

Purchase Link

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 4116CBC4-8D2F-486F-8768-B9FA6A0465AE_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy E5C4607F-0A18-4303-B48A-316176D7A449_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 8DE684CB-372E-4E3B-B870-8E140EAAD977_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy ADD621B4-0D12-43A8-A2B0-68BD363BE038_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 92FE42A1-A914-4EFF-B2FD-64F6F377E801_1_105_c

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Gerber Strap Cutter

Quick and easy one, but thought it would be good to have in case of an emergency. Saw Trail Recon put the same seatbelt cutter on his visor as well and thought it was a good idea. Tested it on leftover nylon from trimming the ratchet strap for the Rockslide EZ rack and wow is that thing sharp! Not sure how well the window breaker will work, but I hope to never need it.

Easy install. Velcro on the sheath, velcro on the visor, stick, and done!

Completely out of the way and doesn't interfere with the mirror or visor going up all the way.

Purchase Link

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 4A6B6450-D8AB-4F76-AAC9-2766E1836638_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 5C15C517-D18C-47C0-AEB6-D18CF99D5E2F_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy CBE94353-7D8C-434F-8123-AE1FDE25FB7A_1_105_c

Back to Index

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly_

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Badge of Honor Placement

First ever badge came in the mail today! Had to debate on whether or not I should put it on now or wait, and where to put it.

Decided to go for it and copied many others on the forum on the front fender placement. To make sure it is aligned with the 'Jeep' badge on the lower fender, I measure the distance from the bottom of the E's in 'Jeep' straight up to the bottom edge of the badge. For left to right alignment, I used a straight edge and lined the right edge of the badge up with the center of the 'x' in '4x4' on the Trail Rated badge.

First purely cosmetic mod and I can't wait to collect more!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 1647312338949

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 1647312371959

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLR Build Thread - Stacy 1647312405215

Back to Index
Sponsored

Last edited: