Front camera option worth it?

IrrationalCPA

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, F-150 Tremor, 991.2T
Love it, super convenient for when you saw that rock ahead but don’t remember how close you really are. Also saves me from sticking my head out the window to check the tire path, I didn’t trust the camera would be accurate for the tire path, but it actually was! Pleasant surprise,
Sponsored

econn2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTLE
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
I have the front camera and it's useless except for cresting hills and showing off to passengers. It tends to "flatten" any terrain features, making it useless for picking a line. A duplex camera which actually identified terrain relief would be of much more value!

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
YES! Had buyer’s remorse but it’s helpful for ledges and setting up the passenger front.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Should be worth mentioning that for MY23, Front Camera is tied to the LED Package, which makes it a expensive upgrade.
Do people really buy Wranglers without the LED package? All I've heard about the standard lights is how piss poor they are. I'll need to run a query on LEDs.

Sponsored

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
Do people really buy Wranglers without the LED package? All I've heard about the standard lights is how piss poor they are. I'll need to run a query on LEDs.
I didn't buy it. $1,600 is a lot.

I knew I was getting an aftermarket bumper, which didn't have provisions for fog lights.
I hate how bulky and bulbous the factory tail lights are. I knew I'd be getting flush mount tail lights.

So spending $1,600 on headlights and LED running lights made no sense in my case.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Not worth it IMO. Had one on the JT. As someone notes above, it "flattens" the terrain too much. Not enough detail and so not helpful. If you're climbing a major, blind hill, you should 100% be walking it first anyway. Kids these days... :LOL:

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera option worth it? 05F50A6C-7BF0-48AF-8152-14BEDE8C860C

Extremely accurate on tire line and has water nozzle to wash off the lens. It is built correctly. And the tire guide turns as you turn the steering wheel to show you tire path while turning.

I have a 2022 so I don’t know if improvements have been made to the camera but these post about how it flattens the terrain? This picture shows terrain details and the rocks are detailed and not flat. Only flat part is the pathway I’m actually on.

Color of rocks looks even sharper than window view. Just zoom into pic to see proof.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Should be worth mentioning that for MY23, Front Camera is tied to the LED Package, which makes it a expensive upgrade.
That's why I didn't get a front camera for my 3021 JLR (and I had no idea how useful it was). They dropped that requirement for 2022 when I ordered a new JLUR. Jeep canceled my order so now I'll be ordering a 2023 and paying for the LED package.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I really wanted a Trailcam when shopping for my 4xe - almost a must-have. Thankfully the one I found came with one.

When considering a front bumper, bull bar and winch mount I was super conscious of not blocking the camera, limiting my choices.

After running on the trail and using the camera, if I had to do it again, I could take it or leave it.

That being said, I do continue to use it, I just wish it gave me more. I'm a car hauler and loaded a C7 Corvette Grand Sport on my trailer this week. The multiple front cameras were awesome for running up the ramps. They've got top-down and cameras above each tire, though I sure wanted to see under the car too!

I'm dreaming of a multi-channel camera system for dashcam, street, and trail purposes.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
After running on the trail and using the camera, if I had to do it again, I could take it or leave it.
Do you do any rock crawling? I find my crummy front camera indispensable and having see the front camera in JLURs/JTRs, it's well worth selling my JLR and buying a new one with a front camera.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Do you do any rock crawling?
Yes.

It's okay, but I want more than what it gives me. Also annoyed that it's always shutting off and slow to get back to it.

Reactions: J0E

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I didn't get the LED package. I don't wheel at night and the halogen lights are plenty good for freeway driving in the city where everything is lighted.
Sponsored