Sponsored

LED Light option; worth it?

Deleted member 59498

I think it is just worth the cost when getting a new Jeep Wrangler. You also get the taillights and running lights etc.

Now if you have a garage at home and some wrench experience and electrical experience go for it. But for most of us the cost is worth the time and material saved. There are guys who could change all this out in an hour or so on here but for me I am IT and just not worth my time to work on. 40k 50k if 1500 doesn't put you over your budget I say get the add on option. They are very nice, I have no problem with icing, they are bright and clear and the day light running rings are cool.

If you know all about the wiring and such maybe save a few bucks but still even doing it yourself seems with the hourly cost not sure. Up to you. Then again some people just love to mod.
Sponsored

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I think it is just worth the cost when getting a new Jeep Wrangler. You also get the taillights and running lights etc.

Now if you have a garage at home and some wrench experience and electrical experience go for it. But for most of us the cost is worth the time and material saved. There are guys who could change all this out in an hour or so on here but for me I am IT and just not worth my time to work on. 40k 50k if 1500 doesn't put you over your budget I say get the add on option. They are very nice, I have no problem with icing, they are bright and clear and the day light running rings are cool.

If you know all about the wiring and such maybe save a few bucks but still even doing it yourself seems with the hourly cost not sure. Up to you. Then again some people just love to mod.
Agree with all of this. I think I have pointed out that I like my Beamtech bulbs at $40 instead of the "LED package." I have no complaints with the Beamtechs. But if I could do it over, I would have gotten the LED package and just bitten the bullet on the additional cost.

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I had halogens on my sport and the candles indoors were brighter! I ordered a 2021 Rubicon XR and added the LED package and couldnt be happier.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Over the years, I got into the habit of spritzing the lights with wd40 after parking when there's snow about to blow in.
A cooking release spray, like Pam, works well, too. It's safer (and tastier! :)) for use on plastics than a petroleum-derived product like WD-40.

I use cooking spray to mitigate snow buildup in the auger bucket when running my Honda. It's just effective enough that I can recommend it.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Light option; worth it? 17th-Dec-2020-a

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I have halogens. Havent been an issue for me. everywhere i drive the streets are lit up enough. If i were into offroading at night i would add led light bars for that.

some cons to them, other than the ridiculous cost (should be standard by now) is that some people have had them stolen right off their jeep, which causes damage, as well as people complaining about them not getting warm enough for snow to melt off.

when building my next jeep online ive gone back and forth with adding them. Last year you had to get them in order to get the trail camara, which is stupid; dont recall if thats still the case. Its another $1k on top of an already expensive jeep. Of the options id want to have on my next wrangler led is pretty low on the totem pole.

but for less than $20 a month in financing, might as well lol

Sponsored

bshaw4377

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
Build Thread
Link
A cooking release spray, like Pam, works well, too. It's safer (and tastier! :)) for use on plastics than a petroleum-derived product like WD-40.

I use cooking spray to mitigate snow buildup in the auger bucket when running my Honda. It's just effective enough that I can recommend it.
I never thought to try cooking spray. Definitely going to try if we actually get snow this weekend (WNY area).

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It’s the most worth it option imo. Gigantic difference between dim yellow halogens and the bright white LEDs. It’s a safety thing too.

fullytorqued

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon XR, 2020 Tesla 3, 2013 Prius C
As someone who has tried a few after market lights, I really wish I had just gotten the LED package.
I'm curious why you've had a hard time with aftermarket. I chose standard lights for my 22' Rubi and have an aftermarket LED kit with RGB waiting to be installed for a lesser cost than the factory LED.

sumailse

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
LEDs are much better than halogen ones, to my mind. They are brighter and consume less energy. They are also less dangerous for the eyesight, as I have heard. Also, there is a greater choice of LED lights because you can find almost any kind of them you want. Even color-changing LED light bulbs with app control can turn your regular car into a party car. I got these a couple of months ago, and they are so much better than the regular ones. They can be white or yellow just like regular car lights, but they can also become purple or blue if you would like that. You just need to press a button in a phone app. So, think about it.

Last edited:

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
LEDs are much better than halogen ones, to my mind. They are brighter and consume less energy. They are also less dangerous for the eyesight, as I have heard.
Mine came with LED’s and yes, they are totally worth it. Less amperage draw, less heat, less susceptible to vibration and thermal cycles. Not sure if they’re warm enough to prevent snow/ice accumulation in transit, maybe someone can chime in on that.

The only drawback is they are freaking bright (and I mean bright) so you have to drive with your hand near the high beam switch. People will flash you to dim and you’ll find yourself frequently flashing them back to let them see your high beams.

Lastly, try to avoid shiny things like polished tankers, bumpers and mirrors. The reflection of your headlights will cause both temporary pupil constriction as well as a slight sensation of “oh hell yeah, they’re bright”……
Sponsored