Sponsored

LED Lighting Group on a Rubicon - worth it?

Mrlimelight

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
thnx man!
I keep hearing that putting LED bulbs in a projector housing ($100 for headlights + front + back) is not the way to do it, and I keep hearing from others that it's just fine. So I did it, and I kept my projector housing.

I couldn't help to notice, as one headlight was done and the other was not, that the light pattern from the LEDs was damn near identical to the halogen when keeping the projector housing.

I hear, in many cases, LED bulbs don't work out well in projector housings, but that particular combination of lights and housing seemed to turn out just fine. And no flash or Tazer modification was needed, these bulbs worked without hyperflash.

The right bulbs for the job make the difference.
Curious for those that have it, or tried both in similar night driving conditions: is the LED Lighting Group worth it on a Rubicon?

I see many that go aftermarket LED bulbs instead. $1500 isn't cheap, and I hear it might be a build constraint due to chip shortages... but that's hear-say.
LED all the way. I wouldn't buy new or used without them.
[/QUOTE
I really like the LEDā€™s on my Rubicon I ordered my Jeep 12/08/21 delivered 1/19/22. The cost was a big deciding factor for me also but when my buddy showed me that the forward facing camera was a part of the LED group it was a no brained. However my Rubicon does not have the forward camera. No answers from dealer yet.
Sponsored

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Absolutely worth it! Plus with the Foglights on, visibility in the dark has enhanced tenfold.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
The Halogens are absolutely horrible. The only way you should consider not getting the LED group is if you're getting after market LEDs immediately.

The LED group is outstanding. I'm very happy with them.
Totally agree. The LEDs are immensely better than the halogens and Iā€™ve had both as original equipment. Itā€™s actually embarrassing that Jeep would sell such lights on any model. Canā€™t speak to the heating issue (I live in Arizona) but I have seen aftermarkets pitching that they are heated.

OP
OP
LCW

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I really like the LEDā€™s on my Rubicon I ordered my Jeep 12/08/21 delivered 1/19/22. The cost was a big deciding factor for me also but when my buddy showed me that the forward facing camera was a part of the LED group it was a no brained. However my Rubicon does not have the forward camera. No answers from dealer yet.
I noticed in the 2022 online build too that the front camera was a stand alone item. Maybe they took it out of the LED package for 2022.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wranger Rubicon Unlimited
As others have said, sounds like you may have an aiming issue. I've never been flashed with my (low beam) LED's on - before or after the 2" Mopar Lift which with 35's puts me about the same height as the Recon. Part of the installation is to re-aim the headlights because of just what you are describing.
Thanks, I bet you're right about the aiming. I'm guessing it wasn't done. Will do!

Sponsored

OP
OP
LCW

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Glad this thread popped again ha!

i ended up buying a ā€˜22 JLUR just YESTERDAY! Off the lot, fresh off the truck. Lucky timing.

Doesnā€™t have LED package. But I was very impressed with the stock halogens after driving last night for about 100 miles.

Coming from a 2016 F150 with likely THE worst headlights on any modern vehicle, the Jeep halogens are pretty damn good.

I was set on getting the MOPAR LED headlights but after driving it last night for a good distance I wonā€™t be rushing to do that anytime soon.

PS - there is some seriously overly bright LED headlights on the road from other brands. I donā€™t know how they pass regulations or if because said regulations (DOT ??) are so outdated that manufacturers can sneak be with blinding headlights. Drives me nuts!!

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for so late with a reply. I accidentally stared into the LED lights on my Jeep and was temporarily blinded.

Are they worth it?

Does a chicken hen only have one rear orifice?
Is zero an even number?
Did the Jeepā€™s grille design come from Ford?
Is LEGO the worldā€™s largest tire manufacturer?

That pretty much sums it up.ā€¦.
Sponsored