First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Let me understand. If i put fob #2 in the Faraday bag and stash it in the vehicle and have the emergency key taped outside somewhere and I go for a hike and loose fob #1, I can still get home and no one can get into the vehicle when I'm gone without a rock? Correct?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me understand. If i put fob #2 in the Faraday bag and stash it in the vehicle and have the emergency key taped outside somewhere and I go for a hike and loose fob #1, I can still get home and no one can get into the vehicle when I'm gone without a rock? Correct?
Yup..

NMElkHunter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thanks for the tip- my JL isn't even delivered and I just ordered two of these @ $2.40 ea + $1.31 shipping. I always prefer having a spare key hidden somewhere on the vehicle in case I lock the keys in there.
Thanks!
Can you share a link where you found these? I am seeing much higher prices.

Pipebndr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Automotive business owner, ASE Master Tech
Why not just remove the battery from a extra fob and hide on the outside of the Jeep, under the hood. Then when you are locked out install the battery and you are good to go.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not just remove the battery from a extra fob and hide on the outside of the Jeep, under the hood. Then when you are locked out install the battery and you are good to go.
New fob, programmed by dealer with your other fob(s) will cost you $200+-.

With that said, I'd rather keep my pricey, 2nd fob, stashed inside the vehicle in a Faraday bag where it is dry and less apt to go missing. I'll stash the $3.00+- unchipped key outside of the vehicle somewhere and use it when needed.

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Nope . With the VIN an unscrupulous dealer's parts employee can sell the thief anything he needs ; that's why it is important to cover the VIN .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Except you lost the battery , and then forgot where you hid the extra fob .

larrynjean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
The key fob will start the JL with a dead key fob battery...It just won't unlock the doors to get in...That is why you need a key outside the vehicle...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So just use the app to unlock the doors? I doubt many people have the base sport model without power locks.

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Certainly could. But leaving the backup fob in the vehicle with the key only under the hood, magentically attached underneath, etc, may be easier.

You could put backup fob inside with lead pouch, or with battery pulled next to it. Like in the trunk storage, glove box, etc.

Nice ideas here!

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
So just use the app to unlock the doors? I doubt many people have the base sport model without power locks.
Could do...think the idea is this is for emergency use...beyond cell/wifi range, or if you lose/don't have the phone at all.

I always used to have a key taped under my blazer, but stopped when I had lower sedans.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I don't like power locks , power windows , nor 4-doors : that's suburbia housewife stuff with 8 rug rats .

I like push in locks and key door openers , crank windows , and 2-doors : that's Genuine Jeep with a cold beer in hand .

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After a lot of internet searching, I found a locksmith an hour a way that can Lazar cut the JL blank for me. Cost is $25 to cut the key.
Will have done in a few days and let you know how I make out. The locksmith said I had the proper blank. I got the info on what blank to buy in this thread.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
After a lot of internet searching, I found a locksmith an hour a way that can Lazar cut the JL blank for me. Cost is $25 to cut the key.
Will have done in a few days and let you know how I make out. The locksmith said I had the proper blank. I got the info on what blank to buy in this thread.
When calling a locksmith what exactly do you have to ask whether they can cut it? Is there a term for this type of key or the equipment the locksmith needs to cut it?

Didn’t know if asking for laser cut is enough information or if they need a specialized laser cutter.

Oh, and just to clarify, this duplicate key blade is only for manually locking and unlocking the door without setting the alarm. You can use it on Sport S and above without setting the alarm. No alarm on Sport. From what I’ve read in the owner’s manual, the alarm can only be activated by the remote button on fob, passive entry lock button on door handle or the interior power lock switch while the door is open. So it sounds like you can manually lock the door with the key blade without setting the alarm. This way the alarm won’t sound when you open the door with the key blade.
Sponsored

Last edited: