Sponsored

Does Rubicon even use 8th gear??

Deleted member 59498

Hit 70+ mph cruising speed? I don't know my manual at 60+ always feels good in 6th. Just saying
Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
All,

On my lifted 2019 Sport 3.6L 2 Door on 35s with the stock 3.45 m186/m200 axles, I like using the AutoStick feature at highway speeds to manually select 8th whenever I believe it should. Then I down or upshift as if driving a manual.

Previously with the stock 31.5 inch Michelin's, achieving 8th gear was both routine and rather frequent. However, now with these 35's, 8th gear truly is an overdrive on steroids.

Yet it didn't take very long after manually selecting 8th for the ZF to puzzle out I like overdrive. It automatically selects 8th way more often now on it's own. Not as regularly as with the stock tires but now may more than before I started coaxing it there.

I have also configured my EVIC to indicate the current gear. This really is a convenient aid to watch what the trans is physically doing. I'd highly recommend everyone set their cluster configuration this way. I'm really amazed this isn't the default normal setting from the factory.

When in Drive it now shows D1-8, and when in AutoStick it shows just 1-8. Watching it run through the gears is pretty amazing. Within the middle range I see the gears change but rarely feel any shift at all. The shift points are smooth, quick and intelligent, especially downshifting to a stop. This trans even downshifts more aggressively depending on the amount of brake peddle applied.

I used to be a manual trans junkie. With this 8-speed, I'm beginning (maybe way past) not missing the clutch peddle in the slightest. I can easily select whatever gear I want, anytime I want, and the ZF just does it. No questions asked. Just like a manual. Even if I infrequently forget it's in Autostick mode, the ZF acts just like a manual would. But instead of either stalling, or over-revving, it's smart enough to just adjust itself accordingly into a more appropriate gear.

When off-road, very (very) seldom do I ever have it in Drive, especially in 4Lo. The absolute control of the gears without clutching when climbing over obstacles or maneuvering over rough terrain is so incredibly cool. Riding the clutch now, for any reason, is a thing of the past. This ZF just almost instantly responds.

This JL has the best powertrain I've ever driven. It is by far the best daily driver and light utility vehicle I've ever owned. Certainly by far the most fun.

It is really sad to hear how some Jeepers are having issues or are dissatisfied with their JL's. This has NOT been my experience. I'm having a blast. Love driving this thing everytime I get in it. No matter the destination. I find I even sometimes just go cruising with no intended purpose. Almost always somewhere here within the foothills along the Colorado Front Range, where I call home.

Jay

IMG_20200801_200022.jpg
You still on this setup with 35s on stock axles and gears? I think, im worrying too much about 35s on my sport 4 door Unlimited...I dont rock crawl, but love ripping down sand dunes, gravel roads, grasslands, bumpy roads..

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
You still on this setup with 35s on stock axles and gears? I think, im worrying too much about 35s on my sport 4 door Unlimited...I dont rock crawl, but love ripping down sand dunes, gravel roads, grasslands, bumpy roads..
Youā€™ll be fine on 35ā€™s on a 4 door with stock axles and gears. Iā€™m on that setup and I rock crawl and use it as my daily driver. I hit 8th gear up to 72 mph. After that it likes to stay in 7th. I am also running a hikeit throttle controller.

437E08E4-6B76-4930-A4CE-2C59CF9CD613.jpeg

C4C627EF-4689-42D8-AEBC-A822A2B01288.jpeg

12CDF5F0-46A3-4CDC-8F74-159B858998D3.jpeg

7350AF65-16C2-4F7A-A14A-807FA995763C.jpeg

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Youā€™ll be fine on 35ā€™s on a 4 door with stock axles and gears. Iā€™m on that setup and I rock crawl and use it as my daily driver. I hit 8th gear up to 72 mph. After that it likes to stay in 7th. I am also running a hikeit throttle controller.

Jeep Wrangler JL Does Rubicon even use 8th gear?? 7350AF65-16C2-4F7A-A14A-807FA995763C

Jeep Wrangler JL Does Rubicon even use 8th gear?? 7350AF65-16C2-4F7A-A14A-807FA995763C

Thanks for that, that looks awesome, Ive been meaning to get out to rausch

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Lito,

Yes I'm still running 35's on the 3.45 axles. Have about 12K miles so far. Working out great. The auto trans has adapted to me coaxing it up into 8th manually. It's now shifting up to 8th automatically way much more often on it's own.

I'm losing any apprehension of needing to regear. I'm almost certain the manual 6 speed would be a different story and 4.10 (or higher) gears would likely almost be a necessity. But not with this auto.

Truthfully, I'm very happy and enjoying every minute of driving it.

Jay

Sponsored

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 2020 Rubicon Recon, only 2500 km so far. I notice that it is a pretty rare occasion to see the Jeep shift in to 8th gear. I know the tires are slightly larger on the Rubicon but it also has 4.10 gears. I thought that it would shift in to 8th sooner than something that isn't geared as low. At 110 km/h (68 m/h) it is almost always in 7th gear. Is this normal?
Yep, see 8th at around 70-75 cruising on the freeway.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Lito,

Yes I'm still running 35's on the 3.45 axles. Have about 12K miles so far. Working out great. The auto trans has adapted to me coaxing it up into 8th manually. It's now shifting up to 8th automatically way much more often on it's own.

I'm losing any apprehension of needing to regear. I'm almost certain the manual 6 speed would be a different story and 4.10 (or higher) gears would likely almost be a necessity. But not with this auto.

Truthfully, I'm very happy and enjoying every minute of driving it.

Jay
Thatā€™s great news, I hope the same for my 4 door...I didnā€™t know the system leaned out driving habits

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I see 8th gear every day on flat roads at around 55 mph or faster. But, I drive like a sane person with plenty of time to get to my destination unlike the majority of people who drive like it's a race.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
Is there a digital read out where you can see what gear you are in? If so, how do you program the dash to display it?

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is there a digital read out where you can see what gear you are in? If so, how do you program the dash to display it?
When you are driving just bump the shifter into manual mode and it immediately displays the current gear. So whatever gear it is in is maintained unless you change it manually. I'm not aware of any other gear current trans screens that show this. The other driveline screens just show what mode the 4 wheel drive is in. If there are other screens showing it I'm not aware of them.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
When you are driving just bump the shifter into manual mode and it immediately displays the current gear. So whatever gear it is in is maintained unless you change it manually. I'm not aware of any other gear current trans screens that show this. The other driveline screens just show what mode the 4 wheel drive is in. If there are other screens showing it I'm not aware of them.
There's a setting buried somewhere in the menus that will always display the current gear.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There's a setting buried somewhere in the menus that will always display the current gear.
I'm curious now. I'll take a look today and see if I can find it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
just go to menu on the dash and go to screen setup and you'll see "current gear" switch it to the "on" position that's it.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
After being at the dealership for the steering TSB, it now shifts into 8th way more often than it used to. Not sure what changed, but it is better than it was prior at shifting into 8th.
Sponsored