Sponsored

Anyone not seeing 8th gear on a stock Willys?

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
Just figured out how to turn on the gear display in the center dash cluster. Took it for a little cruise and never saw 8th gear. Just 7th cruising at 60 mph. All stock Willys on Firestone MT's.
Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If I remember right on my dads it took around 65-70mph for 8th to pop up. 60 would generally stay in 7th I’m pretty sure.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Usually around 65-72 is the only time I saw 8th gear on stock setup. I have a Sport S with 3.6. 8th is really a large overdrive and believe it or not you usually see the same MPG in 7th anyways.

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I see 8th all the time driving to and from work everyday at 55mph. I see it occasionally on the interstate as well but not unless I’m at 70+ and no headwind/going uphill.

JLEdCeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JL Willys
I see 8th gear very often in the highway when driven conservative and enjoying the way. Heavy foot driving, that’s another story, number 8 turning very elusive.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I see 8th all the time driving...everyday at 55mph.
I see it occasionally on the interstate as well but not unless I’m at 70+ and no headwind/going uphill.
I see 8th gear very often in the highway when driven conservative and enjoying the way.
Heavy foot driving, that’s another story, number 8 turning very elusive.
Ditto. JLU Sport with 3.45 and the 2.0T. 91 octane since new.

I have noticed that 8th gear is in fact pretty elusive when I'm driving with the top down and the tube doors in situ. I figure the crossflow of air that's now occurring has a mildly detrimental effect on aerodynamics and thus fuel mileage. If I manually shift into 8th gear, there's sometimes a mild lugging, after which it downshifts back into 7th fairly quickly when I move the shift lever back to the right.

OP
OP
Trailrated

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
Ditto. JLU Sport with 3.45 and the 2.0T. 91 octane since new.

I have noticed that 8th gear is in fact pretty elusive when I'm driving with the top down and the tube doors in situ. I figure the crossflow of air that's now occurring has a mildly detrimental effect on aerodynamics and thus fuel mileage. If I manually shift into 8th gear, there's sometimes a mild lugging, after which it downshifts back into 7th fairly quickly when I move the shift lever back to the right.
Yea my cruise today was doors and freedom panels removed.

AUeng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine can manually shift to 8th in the low 50s or will automatically shift to 8th in the mid to high 50s.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Stock Willy's, unlimited sport. I see 8th gear all the time even at 45 mph and lower, and fully loaded with cruise control on at 75mph it's in 8th, except with a heavy head wind or sometimes going up over passes it will shift down.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
We've had threads on this in the past but mostly with Rubicons. I have a JLU 3.6L 8speed. I would get 8th gear most of the time on the freeway, then I put on Rubicon takeoff tires. I would still get 8th gear under some conditions but not always. A little uphill or a little tailwind and it would drop to 7th. I tried putting it in manual shift mode and forcing it to stay in 8th gear. In conditions of uphill or headwind it would just slow down a little bit, not maintain highway speeds.
Sponsored