Sponsored

Does an answer to this hardtop question even exist?

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi all, it seems like there is plenty word of mouth that the hardtops on JLs can sustain 150 lbs of weight. However - has anyone actually confirmed if this is static weight limit? Dynamic weight limit? Is it safe to go off-roading with cross bars and a basket mounted to the rain gutters? I would assume all the bouncing and rocking over obstacles might cause for the max allowable weight limit to be even more conservative then 150 lbs if offroading?

I want to get roof crossbars and a basket, and then go camping/offroading - but if the 150 lbs of weight are only for static rating (aka, the jeep is not moving), then maybe it is not a good idea to use roof crossbars and a basket.

I'm only interested in crossbars and basket because of simplicity, affordability. I am only going to be off-roading with the basket for maybe a handful of times each year, which is why I cannot justify going with a more expensive rhino roof rack, or something stronger like that.

I guess it's a shot in the dark, since Jeep does not really do extensive hard top load testing.

Thanks
Sponsored

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Normally, the weight rating is based on dynamic or moving load rating. The static or stationary weight is usually more. Not sure how sturdy the hardtop rain gutters are though. What were you planning on putting up there?

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Normally, the weight rating is based on dynamic or moving load rating. The static or stationary weight is usually more. Not sure how sturdy the hardtop rain gutters are though. What were you planning on putting up there?

Cooler, clothes. I'm not strict on what I need to put up there. My hope was to use the max weight rating as the thing that helps inform me what I should put up there.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
If this roof rack manufacturer is to be believed, they claim their gutter-mounted roof rack can withstand 225 lbs of dynamic weight and 600 lbs of static weight!

I don’t know that I believe it, but there it is nonetheless.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dee-zee/aluminum-roof-rack-system-18-22-jlu-4-door-dz4472jl

Interesting, but I always have small confidence in those ratings where they are rating the rack itself, and drawing inference from that to mean that the same rating can be applied to the hardtop. Their rack ratings are probably true, but the question is, what is the weight rating of the Wrangler's hardtop rain gutters

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Right, the roof rack can withstand XX lbs of weight depending on the number of mounting points it has to spread that weight across.

The real question is how much each individual point along the rain gutter can withstand before it breaks.

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
Call maximus . They are vendors listed on this forum . They have several roof racks on their website . I called them and asked questions about their front and rear tow rings . They know their stuff about their stuff . Pretty sure they can answer your questions .

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Not sure I'd want to put the stress on the hardtop directly with that much weight. I'd say if wanting to go that way put all the light weight bulky stuff up there using that system and keep the heavy cooler type stuff inside keeping the weight low. I carry a RTT sometimes using the maximus bracket system on a pioneer platform. It weighs about 150#. You can really feel it in the handling. I have adjustable shocks which helps a bit.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
1. Install roof mounted basket
2. Put light bulky things like clothes and sleeping bags up there in waterproof, dustproof bags
3. Go forth, worry not, and be happy.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
People put Roof Top Tents on their Jeep and sleep in them. These people plus the tent surely weigh more than 150lbs. We're probably talking 400 - 500lbs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
People put Roof Top Tents on their Jeep and sleep in them. These people plus the tent surely weigh more than 150lbs. We're probably talking 400 - 500lbs.
Usually those people use racks that are mounted to steel bumpers/frame. Much stronger that way.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Interesting, my old JK's owners manual always said any racks installed on HT's voided HT warranties???

Wonder what's changed since 2007/2012 with HT materials?

Go jeep!!!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Interesting, my old JK's owners manual always said any racks installed on HT's voided HT warranties???

Wonder what's changed since 2007/2012 with HT materials?

Go jeep!!!
Those hard tops did not have Rain Gutters ; roof top racks on the JKs would required through drilling and bolting.
Leaks and stress cracks could result.
I belief the JL hardtop material is different, lighter and stronger

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Hmmmm my JK's had rain gutters???

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
If this roof rack manufacturer is to be believed, they claim their rain gutter-mounted roof rack can withstand 225 lbs of dynamic weight and 600 lbs of static weight!

I don’t know that I believe it, but there it is nonetheless.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dee-zee/aluminum-roof-rack-system-18-22-jlu-4-door-dz4472jl
Good call. If you look closely, this DeeZee rack towers have feet that press down on the strong edge of the hard top, which is probably why they can safely support that weight.

I'm going to assume they've tested it and it does carry that static weight because I've dealt with DeeZee and they seemed on the level. I did have one of their racks for this very reason but didn't install it when I found how fat the cross bars were which wouldn't work with the clamps of my RTT.

I went the rounds with OP's question, and this DeeZee is the only simple / easily installed and removed rack I found that carries decent weight with no drilling of the hardtop and no mounts on the Jeep body. Up close it looked like a good quality strong product with very strong crossbars.

In the end though I changed my mind about drilling the hardtop, and decided I wanted a good low profile rack up there all the time, and I went with Maximus-3's mount for the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform. I learned way back with my TJ that when I take half-measures, I always go back and do the other half eventually so if can now I might as well...
Sponsored