First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Not sure what I would be more upset about the mechanical issues and delays or the way the vehicle is being treated by the dealer. The scratches and everything is else is just pure laziness, carelessness and I don't give $hit attitude by the techs and everyone involved at the dealer. I would be raising hell about that to the owner of the dealership, Jeep Cares, and anyone else that will listen
I once brought my new GC in for a 1,000 mile oil change and subsequently found a half-eaten bean buritto seeping into the perforated leather seats. A dealership employee had lunch in my back seat and didn't "bus his tray". You can't make this stuff up.

I agree that the "treatment" of @GearWhore's Jeep is, in some ways, worse than the actual mechanical problems.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Day 57 Update / Non-Update. Start of 9th Week!

I haven't heard anything from the dealer since stopping by last Saturday, so I drove back up there late this morning. Jeep hasn't moved. Exterior paint maybe a little cleaner from the rain and snow we've had. Dirtier under the hood from the dust and leaves kicked up by the high winds.

Service writer says the EGR cooler was supposed to be delivered today. Tech has two more projects ahead of mine but hopefully start this repair early next week. Then it will go to the paint shop. I've heard almost the exact same story several times now. No commitment on time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Stillllllll Sits 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Stillllllll Sits 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Stillllllll Sits 3

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Day 57 Update / Non-Update. Start of 9th Week!

I haven't heard anything from the dealer since stopping by last Saturday, so I drove back up there late this morning. Jeep hasn't moved. Exterior paint maybe a little cleaner from the rain and snow we've had. Dirtier under the hood from the dust and leaves kicked up by the high winds.

Service writer says the EGR cooler was supposed to be delivered today. Tech has two more projects ahead of mine but hopefully start this repair early next week. Then it will go to the paint shop. I've heard almost the exact same story several times now. No commitment on time.

Two more projects ahead of yours????? What the heck? You mean there are two other people there, who have been there longer, and have a more screwed up Jeep than yours? I would not be passive about this. But, it sounds as if it might be finishing up soon.
My main concern would be the exposed fuel lines, injectors etc. Those have to be kept very clean. Common Rail systems cannot have any dirt, or crud in them at all. If it has been exposed, like you say, it needs to have the entire fuel rail, and lines replaced, before attempting to start. If not, it could damage the injectors.
Just my 2¢.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Stopped by Doug Smith American Fork again early this morning to check on my Jeep. Especially hopeful after being told Friday that they intended to restart work on it early this week.

Well, it still sits in the same spot, same condition. Actually, a little dirtier, but otherwise no change. 62 days since it went in. 20+ percent of the year so far! 15+ percent of my ownership it has been in the shop for repairs.

Can I raffle of dates for completion guessing? I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing it this week, and then next week is Thanksgiving, so I'm certain the diesel tech has the week or two off to spend with family. Back in my garage by Christmas?

Raffle of anticipated failures based on condition and duration?

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Stopped by Doug Smith American Fork again early this morning to check on my Jeep. Especially hopeful after being told Friday that they intended to restart work on it early this week.

Well, it still sits in the same spot, same condition. Actually, a little dirtier, but otherwise no change. 62 days since it went in. 20+ percent of the year so far! 15+ percent of my ownership it has been in the shop for repairs.

Can I raffle of dates for completion guessing? I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing it this week, and then next week is Thanksgiving, so I'm certain the diesel tech has the week or two off to spend with family. Back in my garage by Christmas?

Raffle of anticipated failures based on condition and duration?
No earlier than the last week of December!

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
When it comes to the windows, why can’t they take your doors off, put them on another jeep, roll up the windows and swap en back on to yours???

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
When it comes to the windows, why can’t they take your doors off, put them on another jeep, roll up the windows and swap en back on to yours???
The answer is obvious! That would take EFFORT!

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Update(ish). Day 63 (November 17, copied from my other thread, Opinions on Moving Forward, new update to follow but this keeps it all in one place)

First, thank you to all of the commenters for ideas, suggestions, and for playing along. I've tried to clarify where needed.

I'm trying to keep lawyers out of this, and so far I have. As a few commenters have pointed out, the case isn't clear-cut and I'd likely have to pay up-front. Not that I'm opposed to paying a professional, but that is certainly a nuclear option that changes the dynamic all around.

I went to the dealer this morning and my Jeep still hasn't moved. Service writer wasn't at his desk, and after a few minutes waiting, the service manager finally asked if I'd be helped. Told him why I was there and he started calling my service writer. While waiting, I confirmed he was the SM. Told him I'd like to walk out to my Jeep in the lot with him. He says yeah, but I have to finish up with these other two. We can do that after you finish with your service writer.

I see him walk around the corner and just BS with the other service writers, trying not to make eye contact with me. As I'm finishing with my service writer, SM slinks off into the service bays. I tell him I was expecting to walk out to the vehicle with SM, so he goes off to get him. I see them chatting for several minutes in the service bay before coming back to get me.

They follow me out to the parking lot and my Jeep. I point out the condition, and the fact it has been there for 9 weeks now, 7+ weeks in this condition. I get excuses about how parts are hard to get, blah, blah, blah. I tell him the storage like this seems negligent and he starts to argue with me about how this is normal and he's got 100 other cars in the lot just like it, waiting on parts. "We don't put things back together when we're waiting on parts. That's just not how it's done in the industry."

Showed him the open fuel system and he tells me that it isn't actually open. To do that "you'd have to remove the injectors completely." Right. Asks me if I'd like them to "put a bag over the engine" or something similar. I said it has been left like this for 7+ weeks, I don't think another day or two is going to make a difference, do you? Pointed out the scratched fender. Pointed out the broken plastic on the electrical tray and torn foam on the hood and he again argues with me that he doesn't see the damage, and even if it is, how could I prove it was done in his shop. He doesn't back down until I tell him the service writer took photos of the damage over a month ago when I pointed it out.

Told him I don't get any updates except by stopping in. If I'm told I'll get a call, it never comes. Each week I'm given a different line about how a part isn't in, or it was the wrong part, etc., etc. and it just gets old. Kind of threw my service writer under the bus, but he doesn't update me or even seem to have an interest in moving my Jeep to completion.

I am now assured that my Jeep will be going into the service bay this afternoon, after the tech finishes the truck he's currently on. They say assembly today and tomorrow, then to paint. Maybe next week. Not the first time I've heard any of it. All lies and bullshit until I have it back in my driveway, in the same condition it was in when I dropped it off, except with fewer oil leaks and electrical gremlins.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Current update. 69 days in the shop, 10 weeks! And I still have issues.

I was texted on Tuesday afternoon, November 22, 2022 that my Jeep repair had finally been completed and it was ready for pick up. I made arrangements to pick it up the following day, November 23, 2022 (the day before Thanksgiving). I stopped by to pick it up on the afternoon of the 23rd. Alex, my service writer, was on the phone and unavailable, but the service admin was able to get my key and work order. That was 69 days without my Jeep, most of which is sat partially disassembled on the side lot at Doug Smith American Fork.

Since leaving the lot, I still have ongoing issues, including the following:
  1. “Start/Stop Not Ready Battery Charging” displayed on EVIC at all times.
  2. Wouldn’t start with remote key (honked, started to turn over then stopped). One other start was slow and gave error message to drain water from fuel filter (which I have done).
  3. Bracket (05281908AB) fell out from under the Jeep while driving yesterday (November 26). It does not appear to have been reinstalled and the two bolts required to do so are absent. Lost into the engine bay and forgotten? Ignored when reassembling?
  4. Residue left along perimeter of front door windows where tape was used to secure plastic over the windows for 2+ months.
  5. Scratches and scuffs remain along the front passenger fender. Some partially buffed, some remain, some new.
  6. Vertical scratches on the center of the grille. Very apparent with some road grime.
  7. Front passenger-side fender liner is missing (3) 10mm bolts along the underside and (3) plastic rivets along the bottom and outside edge (one is only partially installed).
  8. Coolant on the front passenger control arms, both wet and dried.
  9. Radiator Upper Seal trim piece appears to be installed incorrectly; bent up above the forward grille trim on both ends.
  10. At least one broken connector bracket I observed and pointed out to both Alex (service writer) and Nate (service manager) on top of a primary wiring harness near the fuse box was still broken, with the connector loosely zip-tied next to it. Broken-off piece visible on underside of blue connector.
  11. The fuse box lid would not close, and the wire for the block heater was not secure to anything. Opening the fuse box, I observed the block heater wire wedged under one corner of the lid, preventing the closure.
From what I have observed so far, this was the exact scenario I feared. The vehicle not reassembled correctly, parts missing, wiring misrouted and unsecured, and persistent error messages on the EVIC. Some of the above issues I might be able to correct myself, some will require additional hardware, and some now seems to require a body shop. Then other issues will require a dealership visit. I absolutely dread taking the Jeep in (again), as I have no idea how long it would be gone (again), and if it would come back in worse condition (yet again).

I have my Jeep back, but I don’t consider the repair completed. I’m not even sure I should drive it with the missing hardware and EVIC error messages.

Now what?

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Returned Condition 01

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Returned Condition 02

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Returned Condition 04

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Returned Condition 05

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Returned Condition 07

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Returned Condition 08

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Returned Condition 09

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Returned Condition 11

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Problems, Now With More EGR Jeep Returned Condition 12

Jeep Returned Condition 06.jpg

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Man that is terrible, I would not ever let that dealership touch my ride or anyone in my family's ride ever again. I would take it to a very reputable third party and pay to have it checked out and put back together correctly, then take the bill to the general manager of the dealership. Are the scratches deep? Could try some cleaner wax to buff them out.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Don't take possession of your Jeep, until all things are fixed. Me, I would start a Lemon Law Case on it.

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I’ll be doing everything in my power to get into a 392. My jeep has an exhaust leak from the engine that 2 dealers can’t locate. I don’t trust the engine to last like a 392 will… the expense of the 392 is terrible, but life is short
Sponsored