First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Drive it for a couple years and sell it before it’s out of warranty if you’re not happy with the performance or reliability track record.
This plain ole SUCKS BALLS

I live in CA so doing a delete is ultra illegal (may have to turn this thing into an off-road only vehicle; then I believe a delete would be legal)

I bought the diesel for the MPG with lift and big tires and the (what I thought would be) longevity of a diesel truck.

Now that I’ve spent $70+k on a diesel Jeep (after taxes) and another $50k+ in upgrading every fucking thing other than the powertrain.

The consensus is “drive it for a few years and get rid of it”

No way in flying FUCK is that happening after dumping all this money into irreversible - non movable mods such as an EVO Double Throwdown Suspension fully welded to the frame... with King bumps F&R etc etc etc

Future options:?

A: “stealth delete” route with gutted stock items that look normal & tune and hope like hell it will still pass smog.

B: Leave all this shit in and run a tune that is cleaner than the stock one hoping it will make the emissions shit last longer.

C: Take out large insurance policy to cover Jeep and all upgrades - hope something terrible happens to it.

D: Get rid of diesel motor I paid a shitload for and put in a big V8 which will get absolutely awful gas mileage - this would be the biggest waste $ of all.

Isn’t this some bullshit, I thought diesels were supposed to last forever?!?

Guess no one updated that old wives tale with the caveat of “2007 and OLDER diesels will last forever”

Go figure newer diesel = shit.

:headbang: :angry:
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
The only reason we still have our 2014 Grand Cherokee ecodiesel is that we didn't want to take the hit that the class action lawsuit caused in value. We joined the mass tort lawsuit and are holding out for a VW style buyback.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
This plain ole SUCKS BALLS

I live in CA so doing a delete is ultra illegal (may have to turn this thing into an off-road only vehicle; then I believe a delete would be legal)

I bought the diesel for the MPG with lift and big tires and the (what I thought would be) longevity of a diesel truck.

Now that I’ve spent $70+k on a diesel Jeep (after taxes) and another $50k+ in upgrading every fucking thing other than the powertrain.

The consensus is “drive it for a few years and get rid of it”

No way in flying FUCK is that happening after dumping all this money into irreversible - non movable mods such as an EVO Double Throwdown Suspension fully welded to the frame... with King bumps F&R etc etc etc

Future options:?

A: “stealth delete” route with gutted stock items that look normal & tune and hope like hell it will still pass smog.

B: Leave all this shit in and run a tune that is cleaner than the stock one hoping it will make the emissions shit last longer.

C: Take out large insurance policy to cover Jeep and all upgrades - hope something terrible happens to it.

D: Get rid of diesel motor I paid a shitload for and put in a big V8 which will get absolutely awful gas mileage - this would be the biggest waste $ of all.

Isn’t this some bullshit, I thought diesels were supposed to last forever?!?

Guess no one updated that old wives tale with the caveat of “2007 and OLDER diesels will last forever”

Go figure newer diesel = shit.

:headbang: :angry:
Guess we’ll see! Geico MBI is pretty solid peace of mind for $66/year in my book.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Guess we’ll see! Geico MBI is pretty solid peace of mind for $66/year in my book.
Guess I'll have to look into that. Does the cost go up every year till it's not worth it at year 5?

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
now that’s a good recommendation! I’ll have to look into that one

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Add me to the Geico list. $4 per month. I believe there are exceptions -- such as it must be a vehicle that you have owned from new and you must do it prior to 15 months/15k miles. Additionally, it's a $250 deductible. But that's not bad considering what it would cover after 36k miles.

I would have bought it on my Porsche but didn't know about it at the time. I'll certainly be doing it on every new vehicle, including the wife's 2 DR that shows up here soon.

I think it's a good option if you know you aren't going to switch insurance providers and the vehicle history is questionable.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Add me to the Geico list. $4 per month. I believe there are exceptions -- such as it must be a vehicle that you have owned from new and you must do it prior to 15 months/15k miles. Additionally, it's a $250 deductible. But that's not bad considering what it would cover after 36k miles.

I would have bought it on my Porsche but didn't know about it at the time. I'll certainly be doing it on every new vehicle, including the wife's 2 DR that shows up here soon.

I think it's a good option if you know you aren't going to switch insurance providers and the vehicle history is questionable.
I have Geico MBI, it does not cover emissions systems either. And neither would it cover DPF as it would not cover filters.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have Geico MBI, it does not cover emissions systems either. And neither would it cover DPF as it would not cover filters.
Show me the fine print exempting emissions equipment because I have heard the opposite from folks who have used their MBI policies. DPFs also do not generally fall under consumable filter designations like fuel and oil filters.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Show me the fine print exempting emissions equipment because I have heard the opposite from folks who have used their MBI policies. DPFs also do not generally fall under consumable filter designations like fuel and oil filters.
Here is the full verbiage:

What is Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI)?

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance covers many mechanical repairs to your car, protecting you from expensive repair bills. This coverage is only available for vehicles with less than 15,000 miles that have been purchased within the last 15 months. A $250 deductible per claim applies. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is similar to a dealer's extended warranty protection. It's in excess of coverage provided by the manufacturer's warranty.

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance covers repairs to the following systems:

Engine​
Steering​
Air Conditioning​
Transmission​
Cooling​
Brakes​
Drive Axle​
Suspension​
Electrical​

EXCLUSIONS: MBI does not include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and lining, brake shoes and tires (includes tire wear and/or tire damage). Breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, rust and oxidation, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown coverage is in excess of coverage provided by the manufacturer's warranty.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the full verbiage:
I see no written exemption of exhaust components. Claiming they don’t fall under engine or electrical would also imply the same of intake equipment and fly in the face of most actual claims reports I’ve heard on the matter.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I see no written exemption of exhaust components. Claiming they don’t fall under engine or electrical would also imply the same of intake equipment and fly in the face of most actual claims reports I’ve heard on the matter.
I hope you are right and I am wrong, but I have dealt with enough insurance agencies to know that they will deny DPF because they exclude filters, and emission system or exhaust does not fall into any of the categories that are listed as covered. But I can find out if it is an "exclusionary" policy (like Mopar Maximum Care) or not.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I hope you are right and I am wrong, but I have dealt with enough insurance agencies to know that they will deny DPF because they exclude filters, and emission system or exhaust does not fall into any of the categories that are listed as covered. But I can find out if it is an "exclusionary" policy (like Mopar Maximum Care) or not.
I called a Geico agent. MBI covers 7 years/100k and emission system or exhaust assembly not covered. Only what is listed in the verbiage is covered.
Sponsored