Sponsored

EGR Preventative Maintenance

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
I will see if I can find it again. I was reading it about two weeks ago on one of the Ram forums. I'll look for it.

I've never seen a 2020 with the Gen 2 engine. I didn't think that existed. Maybe on a '19 which is also the DT body, but not a '20. Anyhow, what I've read is that the EGR system is a dual system now. It does have the low pressure side post-DPF but it still has the high pressure side like in the past too. So it's still getting sooted up inside.

I was poking around under mine tonight and there are a zillion sensors/nozzles/solenoids along the exhaust system from the turbo all the way to the rear axle. It's a nightmare what they've got going on under there. Out of warranty, this would get scary. There's even a spring loaded valve of some sort all the way back toward the rear axle. I can't even figure out what that is. Anyhow...this is sort of off topic.
All 2020 Ram Classic 1500 trucks sold are Gen2 not Gen3. I do not know the EGR system in the Gen3 so if they are pulling pre and post it would get soot but I don't know the advantage to pull from both.
As for the sensors, there is quite a few but they are usually top quality to be able to deal with the high temps. You have a Nox sensor pre SCR and post SCR ans some engines have one right after the turbo output, 3 temp sensors, pre DPF, post DPF, and Post SCR. You will have a differential pressure sensor that will determine when the DPF needs a regen by reading pressures before and after DPF. You will have a dozer valve at the SCR for DEF and some use a dozer for fuel after turbo if the don't use injectors to inject fuel on the exhaust stroke for DPF burn off.
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
There are some egr discussions in this gen3 1500 thread. Some experimenting going on also.
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/will-there-be-tunes-for-3rd-gen-eco.67403/
Post 54 on page 3 is what we were looking for. Definitely gen3, definitely 2 EGR systems, one being pre-DPF. The post-DPF system is actually feeding back into the turbo it sounds like, rather than the intake. The pre-DPF is still going to make a mess of the intake unless unplugged and/or blocked.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Post 54 on page 3 is what we were looking for. Definitely gen3, definitely 2 EGR systems, one being pre-DPF. The post-DPF system is actually feeding back into the turbo it sounds like, rather than the intake. The pre-DPF is still going to make a mess of the intake unless unplugged and/or blocked.
Interesting. I will have to read up on this.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Interesting. I will have to read up on this.
When I get back to AK I’m going to take off that diffuser for the pre-DPF EGR running to the intake and see how bad it looks. I do wonder if some of the components on the DT variant are arranged differently than the JLU variant because of all the component relocations Jeep made for water fording in the JLU.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks that's the guy I was thinking of. Look at post #50 in that thread and you can see his EGR tube already getting covered in soot at low mileage, just like the Gen 2 engines would do.
I would love to talk to one of the engineers to ask WHY pre and post. If your looking to raise the combustion temp wouldn't one post have worked and solved all the problems?

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Confirmed today that the EGR cleaning is only $300, assuming you don’t do this yourself. Just a few bolts. Also got clarification on extended warranty covering the Emissions components. Perhaps some extra maintenance and good warranty coverage solves most of our issues.

Bulletproof EGR cooler looking like a good long term option if ever produced for this motor. Not sure it currently is or isn’t. Keeping that part from failing seems to be priority one. Just odd the manufacturer wouldn’t take that route. Unless repairs by the dealer more important.

Truth is this is the cheapest route to this level of torque and diesel has other advantages such as better fuel availability during catastrophes such as a hurricane and safer handling if you need to carry extra fuel on extended off-road adventures or surviving said catastrophe.

My remaining concern is how exactly they clean out the soot inside the air box from the attached EGR tube. Forgot to ask about that. Next visit.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Confirmed today that the EGR cleaning is only $300, assuming you don’t do this yourself. Just a few bolts. Also got clarification on extended warranty covering the Emissions components. Perhaps some extra maintenance and good warranty coverage solves most of our issues.

Bulletproof EGR cooler looking like a good long term option if ever produced for this motor. Not sure it currently is or isn’t. Keeping that part from failing seems to be priority one. Just odd the manufacturer wouldn’t take that route. Unless repairs by the dealer more important.

Truth is this is the cheapest route to this level of torque and diesel has other advantages such as better fuel availability during catastrophes such as a hurricane and safer handling if you need to carry extra fuel on extended off-road adventures or surviving said catastrophe.

My remaining concern is how exactly they clean out the soot inside the air box from the attached EGR tube. Forgot to ask about that. Next visit.
I would bet they don't clean the intake.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I would bet they don't clean the intake.
That’s a legit concern or worse that they drop harden soot in it. Perhaps something beat done ourselves. It really is that easy.

Still not sure what we do to get the soot inside the intake. Shop Vac? I’ve seen solvents used for the big rigs. In the UK there’s a similar service for cars that runs a product through the system which supposedly attracts the soft soot then pumps it out the system. Looks like it bypasses the DPF and comes out like a foam. Been trying to locate that service in the States. Where there’s a desire there’s a way.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Have you seen inside the engine bay on a Gen 3 EcoDiesel? Even in the Ram there isn't room to even see the turbo. The EGR tube is buried against the firewall behind the engine. Accessing the areas that are getting sooted up would be a nightmare. I was told that if the dealership has to replace parts back there, they usually lift the cab off the truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
If that’s the case then the quote I received may have been for the Cummins. That’s not good news.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
when you have to pay $80 plus for a paper element oil filter, it's scary to find out what other parts cost and how much labor is involved to do anything on this engine :whew:

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
when you have to pay $80 plus for a paper element oil filter, it's scary to find out what other parts cost and how much labor is involved to do anything on this engine :whew:
That’s not my concern. Still cheaper than a Hemi or LS swap. For those wanting bigger tires it’s a cheap hindrance for available options.

Last edited:

davo65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 diesel rubicon
Catch cans? But why wouldn’t the manufacturer already provide them?

Is there anyone here that has installed a catch can? I plan on installing one on my 2.2L diesel & looked today where to fit there is not much room & the hoses must be behind the engine against the firewall.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is there anyone here that has installed a catch can? I plan on installing one on my 2.2L diesel & looked today where to fit there is not much room & the hoses must be behind the engine against the firewall.
If there is no sensors that would throw codes I would go back to the good old days and run a hose out the bottom. At least that way if you see a lot of blowby you can address it before it's a big issue.
Sponsored