L06An_5

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Wheeler JLU
I like it and it works well.
If you plan to modify your engine, know that you might be limited to what you can add to it. Currently, I am not aware of superchargers or tuners that are compatible… if you are into that stuff.

Also some Skid Plate packages have to be customized for the eTorque, not a big deal as many support it but some are still a no-go.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Also some Skid Plate packages have to be customized for the eTorque, not a big deal as many support it but some are still a no-go.
The etorque battery gets its own skid, I haven't seen a skid yet that you couldn't install even if they don't offer the additional skid for the battery.

L06An_5

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Wheeler JLU
Hauk Off-road 0724-U-05 Complete Skid Plate System does not support the 3.6 eTorque, confirmed via phone call in May due to the engine brackets being slightly different. I went with the Asfir system which had an eTorque option and got the additional battery skid. I would call the manufacturer if it doesn't specifically list the eTorque as supported.

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
eTorque only works on the first half-a-wheel turn from a standing stop.

The added power you feel when passing is likely due to the new 8-speed automatic in combination with a much smoother Pentastar engine.

Another different could be if you went from a JK with 3.21 gearing to a JL with 3.73 or 4.10.
My 2013 JK had 3.73 gearing and the 2021 JL has 3.45 gearing. I wasn't trying to say that the etorque made all the difference. I was trying to say that I had no issues with the etorque.

I too, feel like the difference was an improved updated engine and the 8 speed transmission. Between those two items, the performance is much better than my old Jeep.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I bought new a 2018 2.0T E-Torque Rubicon that now has 33k miles on it and have had no engine/battery issues at all. I can also confirm @aldo98229 's first post. About a month after I got it I put on the Mopar lift, Mopar beadlocks, and 35" KO2s and never had any real noticeable drop in gas mileage. I also always used to wonder why everyone bitched about the ESS system until I got a Grand Cherokee V6 w/ ESS as a loaner and realized how significantly worse that system felt compared to my 2.0. I was bad about not wearing a seatbelt before my Jeep, but now wear it all the time just so the ESS system will function. It's damn near unnoticeable.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn’t disable the smother transition between shifts or the regenerative braking but it defeats the biggest and most noticeable function and that is the super smooth restart of the motor after a stop as well as the added torque on launch immediately after an engine restart.
Only stop/start is disabled.

The smoother shifting is a product of the same capacitive discharge of energy sent to the belt start generator, that restarts the engine during a stop/start event and provodes the added torque from idle 1500 or 1800 rpm. Only functional difference between those 3 functions is the duration and intensity of the associated discharge.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I bought new a 2018 2.0T E-Torque Rubicon that now has 33k miles on it and have had no engine/battery issues at all. I can also confirm @aldo98229 's first post. About a month after I got it I put on the Mopar lift, Mopar beadlocks, and 35" KO2s and never had any real noticeable drop in gas mileage. I also always used to wonder why everyone bitched about the ESS system until I got a Grand Cherokee V6 w/ ESS as a loaner and realized how significantly worse that system felt compared to my 2.0. I was bad about not wearing a seatbelt before my Jeep, but now wear it all the time just so the ESS system will function. It's damn near unnoticeable.
Just about 76k miles on my 19 JLUR with the eTorque 2.0, and zero issues due to anything engine or drivetrain related. Also, I'm on long Island surrounded by a salt water ocean and going into my 4th winter of heavily salted roadways. Nothing, including the entire eTorque system, is showing signs of weathering and my Jeep has only been washed once (about 3 years ago) since it was picked up in January 2019.

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
My ordered 2021 Willys, ordered October 2020, arrived November 2020, appx. 6 weeks or so . 3.6 e-torque 8 speed auto, Selec Trac transfer case. , got 13,000 miles. No issues at all, smooth re-starting, system works flawless, it was something I didn’t want but with the 3.6 and 8 speed, it wasn’t an option but so far, no issues and got used to it. FYI, this is the third Wrangler with the 3.6. This is probably the best one since 2012.

funglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS North Edition
i have a 2020 with 30k miles. i have the etorque and no issues. even get 23 MPG in bumper to bumper DC traffic to go from Annapolis, MD to Reston, VA. It takes 2-2.5 hrs to go about 57 miles for me in that traffic but the etorque is great.

UTAR15

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Have 52K miles with my 2.0 E-Torque. It stopped functioning due to my battery going bad. This was original battery. Jeep would start fine but in testing it wasn't producing right voltage so ESS wouldn't function. I replaced my battery and voila...ESS working fine.

ETA: Battery going bad was the 12 volt starting battery

Sponsored

roojacksid

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bright White JL Rubicon
I have my first Wrangler (UL Rubicon) with the eTorque so I don't really have anything to really compare it to. However, I'm really pleased with it. My wife has a land rover and my daughter has a Cherokee and I find that the auto start on their vehicles is really annoying. I don't find it annoying (really notice it much) on my Jeep -maybe because of the eTorque?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
No problems in 3 years/29,000 miles with 2.0 e torque. The smooth startups are great. Most of the e torque system is warrantied for 8 years….

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The etorque battery gets its own skid, I haven't seen a skid yet that you couldn't install even if they don't offer the additional skid for the battery.
I think they are talking about the oil pan skids. Most attach to the 3.6L engine mounts which are now different in eTorque version.

L06An_5

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Wheeler JLU
Correct, thank you and Happy Holidays
Sponsored