3.6 E-torque impressions?

Rubyeagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 2017 Dodge Challenger T/A 392
3.6 etorque reminds me of a supercharged V6 or mild V8 off the line. Love it compared to same but non etorque 3.6 in GC Trailhawk.
Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Test drove a Sahara today with the 3.6 E-torque. Dash said battery low start/stop unavailable. So I don’t think the BSG was doing anything. Then test drove a 2.0 Rubicon non E-torque. Might like the 2.0 better even though we huge fans of it in our ‘19 Cherokee Trailhawk
The 2.0 has great aftermarket performance options as well.

Rubyeagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 2017 Dodge Challenger T/A 392
80th Sport S 3.6 8 speed. Compared to the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6 with no ETorque l will say as a long time car and truck enthusiast it feels like it is Supercharged. No lag off the line it honestly reminds me of the 5.7 Hemi R/T Road and Track Charger I had before the Grand Cherokee.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I really like the NA 3.6 and wish I could get it on a 2021 Sahara. Don't want the e torque, especially for another $1500. Talked to my dealer about trading our 2018 yesterday and idk, may just keep the 18 longer.
As you can see in my sig i did end up trading this year. Just could not pass on the deal. With that said, i don't feel much difference if any in power of the 3.6 that my 2018 had compaired to the 2021. If i had my choice i would have stuck with the non etorque. I will also say i drove a 4 cyl and was really impressed with the power it had. I stayed with the 3.6 because i'v had 4 vehicles with it now with no engine problems. Seems to be a great engine.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I got my 2021 3.6L eTorque earlier this year and like it. It's my first Wrangler besides my YJ so I can't really have a great comparison. I didn't think twice about the 2.0 because I had plans to tow with the JLU and wanted the bigger engine.

Like you, I was between the diesel and the 3.6. Sure, the diesel gets more MPG's but you have to add maintenance costs in there. You also have to think about the DPF regenerating and possibly having to be replaced every ? years. You can probably compare it to the 48v battery so maybe it's a wash.

I think that the eTorque is great for what it is. I guess my only complaint about it is sometimes the AC switches off because the engine stops at a light. I also don't like that there are times you're stopped for a second and the esp kicks on and stops the engine. A good example is pulling into my garage. I usually get most of the way in and stop and creep forward. At that time where I stop to creep, the esp kicks in and engine dies for a millisecond. I imagine that can't be great for it but who knows. I wished you could set it so after 3 seconds the engine cuts out.

In the end, a lot of the decision was based on availability of parts and availability of gas/diesel. I think the OP is seeing this now with an unknown delivery time for the diesel. If something breaks on the pentastar, there's usually enough parts to get it up and running relatively quick. The diesel is another story. As for finding gas/diesel, gas is much more widely available. Diesel is too, but if you're in the middle of the boondocks, you may have a difficult time finding it. If you're on a trail, it's more than likely somebody in the group has a rotopax of gas. Also, if you're in a group and something happens, somebody more than likely has some knowledge of the pentastar whereas the knowledgebase just isn't there for the diesel.

I have about 2k miles on mine over about 5 months and I made the right decision. But there are still times that I wonder what it would had been like with the diesel.
Sponsored