Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Any thoughts on where I should start? Metalcloak 3.5 GAMECHANGER lift. Fox ats steering stabilizer. Dynatrac ball joints put in a couple of months ago along with Rcv shafts, and Reid steel knuckles. Everything seems to be tight and nothing has come loose.

Can being out of alignment cause this? PSI on tires currently at 28. 39 KM3s.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Well if you didn't get it aligned after you suspension/steering mod, I would start there. Everything tightened up to proper torque specs?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Any thoughts on where I should start? Metalcloak 3.5 GAMECHANGER lift. Fox ats steering stabilizer. Dynatrac ball joints put in a couple of months ago along with Rcv shafts, and Reid steel knuckles. Everything seems to be tight and nothing has come loose.

Can being out of alignment cause this? PSI on tires currently at 28. 39 KM3s.

That's death wobble. You should stop driving it until it's figured out. Any stabilizer you have on there will be destroyed eventually.

Yes, being out of alignment can cause this. That's the first thing to get checked.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You still using stock tie rod and drag link? Seems like you've got strong parts in it, but you didn't say if you changed the steering out. Check out the tie rod and drag link ends for excessive sloppiness or up/down movement.

If your ball joints are good, which they should be but others have had some issues with Dynatrac's, then ensure your track bar bushings are still good.

I'll disagree about death wobble. I've had it in a TJ and it's scary AF. You barely needed to slow down to get your steering wheel to stop shaking. True death wobble requires you to come to a near complete stop since the complete front axle is oscillating uncontrollably. Your video does not show me that your axle is oscillating like that. With that being said, you may develop death wobble eventually depending on what is wrong.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
You still using stock tie rod and drag link? Seems like you've got strong parts in it, but you didn't say if you changed the steering out. Check out the tie rod and drag link ends for excessive sloppiness or up/down movement.

If your ball joints are good, which they should be but others have had some issues with Dynatrac's, then ensure your track bar bushings are still good.

I'll disagree about death wobble. I've had it in a TJ and it's scary AF. You barely needed to slow down to get your steering wheel to stop shaking. True death wobble requires you to come to a near complete stop since the complete front axle is oscillating uncontrollably. Your video does not show me that your axle is oscillating like that. With that being said, you may develop death wobble eventually depending on what is wrong.
Must be Hospice Wobble then. Lol

Death Wobble doesn’t always result in needing to slow to zero to get it to stop. This will end up there if he doesn’t stop now and get it troubleshot properly. Steering linkage is a smart move.

Sponsored

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
It's not death wobble until your ass swallows the entire driver's seat.
I'd say alignment and balance issue.

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, everything in front is upgraded. I have the 2.5 ton RPM drag link and tie rod. Also have the synergy sector shaft brace. Tires were balanced recently as well. It was aligned when the ball joints were installed but idk it just seems to have gotten worse ever since the shafts, steel knuckles, ball joints, anti rock sway bar were installed. Drove amazing for like two weeks and then gradually the bump steer got worse over time.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar thing happen to me about 12-14 months ago or so.

I was doing 35 MPH when I drove over a diagonal, heavily rutted railway crossing, the steering wheel started shaking violently to the point that I had to stop to avoid going into the oncoming lane.

Mine is a 2018 Sahara now with 16,000 miles; Mopar lift, YETI HD track bar, Fox 2.0 stabilizer, 35x12.5 General Grabber ATs. Jeep got an alignment right after the dealer installed the lift. Everything else is factory: ball joints, tie rod, drag link. The steering box TSB has been done.

I haven't had it happen it again, though. I have done two separate 500-mile road trips recently without incident.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Gents.

This isn't bump steer. This is "Death Wobble", which is just a made up phrase to cover several different suspension failure phases. When the wheel moves back and forth, it's called "Shimmy". This is what most of us call Death Wobble. Shimmy does not need to be severe enough to cause you to slow down to zero to get it to stop. That's the extreme end of this suspension failure phase.

Bump Steer is when you hit a bump and the vehicle steers in one direction. Bump Steer will not cause the wheel to move back and forth like this. This is mostly caused by the drag link and the track bar not being parallel. The further out they are, the worse bump steer will be.

For your situation OP, I would start with the alignment to make sure you're not sitting on top of the axle with your caster adjustment. After that, go on down the line of typical troubleshooting steps. Linkages, Tires (pressure & balance), ball joints, and then move into arms and knuckles. Since a lot of your components are new, alignment is the best starting point. I would take it all apart and do a full TQ check. Simple things first, like TB, DL, and TR. With the RPM steering, make sure the lock washers were installed under the jamnuts. (This is missed all the time by installers.)

You'll get it worked out. I've installed your exact set-up many times for Jeepers without issue. You'll find it.

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, Toyota 4th Gen V8 4 Runner
This is not a comment on this thread, just an observation in general… I am very surprised at the number of suspension issues / symptoms that I hear people call “bump steer”.
OP, what you have isn’t bump steer. Rodeo Steer possibly, but not bump steer. You caught yourself a case of the dreaded DW’s.
as others have posted, it’ll get worse from there so you need to find it quickly. Best of luck to you!

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had something very similar to your issue. Ended up adding a rusty track bar brace and Falcon stabilizer along with all four wheels being rebalanced. The issue was resolved and in the end my mechanic said it was the wheels not being balanced as the main cause of my wobble.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I fully agree with starting by checking for something that has worked loose in the front end.

One thing I can add, is concerning the front track bar reinforcement. I have the Steersmarts version without the sector shaft brace, but they all have something in common, which is their strong construction. If they don't fit very snug around the factory bracket ears, their thicker construction could possible hinder the track bar bolts ability to fully clamp down on the track bar bushing. Any gap between those factory and aftermarket mounting ears need to be shimmed, because the thicker reinforcement will only flex the slightest bit under full torque. The shims will help transmit the clamping force in that possible situation.

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate all of your responses. I have some fox shocks going in next week as well as other goodies. Full alignment and re torque will be performed as well. Hoping one of the two fixes the issue.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey brother, it’s cold AF up there, I think your rig is just shivering 🥶 ……. That looks like a toe issue, of course I’m just spitballing like everyone else, hard to diag via the web, lol….if it’s not already, try 1/16” toe in….
Sponsored