Death Wobble and Steering Sticking

Brian Cook

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I have a 2018 JL Sport with about 12,000 miles. When I traveled at highway speeds and went over lateral bridge joints the Jeep would violently wobble which reading this and other forums seems to be a common problem. I took it to the Dealer Ganley Jeep in Aurora, OH and they put a steering stabilizer on. This lessened, but not completely fixed the issue for a while and then it returned to prior wobble.

This morning i was on my way to work traveling about 65 MPH on a highway overpass that curves to the left. Was I tried to turn left, the steering wheel stuck and would not complete the turn. As the concrete wall was fast approaching it finally gave and turned. After my heart started again, I started turning left and right back and forth and the steering would stick both ways, then give.

I called the dealer and the service manager said "ya we've seen a few of these?" I said "steering sticking?" He said no "death wooble." Then he asked when I could bring it in next week because they are overbooked. I told him I didn't know if the vehicle was safe to drive and he said there was nothing he could do-they stilled had vehicles needing repairs left over from prior day. Thinking I could drop the vehicle and just live with a rental, I was told Chrysler has a policy of no rentals. REALLY? I told the him I never had this problem with Toyota - always got a rental even if it was for routine maintenance.

How can Jeep let this go on and blatantly not care about their customers?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I have a 2018 JL Sport with about 12,000 miles. When I traveled at highway speeds and went over lateral bridge joints the Jeep would violently wobble which reading this and other forums seems to be a common problem. I took it to the Dealer Ganley Jeep in Aurora, OH and they put a steering stabilizer on. This lessened, but not completely fixed the issue for a while and then it returned to prior wobble.

This morning i was on my way to work traveling about 65 MPH on a highway overpass that curves to the left. Was I tried to turn left, the steering wheel stuck and would not complete the turn. As the concrete wall was fast approaching it finally gave and turned. After my heart started again, I started turning left and right back and forth and the steering would stick both ways, then give.

I called the dealer and the service manager said "ya we've seen a few of these?" I said "steering sticking?" He said no "death wooble." Then he asked when I could bring it in next week because they are overbooked. I told him I didn't know if the vehicle was safe to drive and he said there was nothing he could do-they stilled had vehicles needing repairs left over from prior day. Thinking I could drop the vehicle and just live with a rental, I was told Chrysler has a policy of no rentals. REALLY? I told the him I never had this problem with Toyota - always got a rental even if it was for routine maintenance.

How can Jeep let this go on and blatantly not care about their customers?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Well since this is your first post, welcome.

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
I have a 2018 Jeep JLU Sahara that is stock I had a wobble at highway speed after hitting bumps but it wasn’t to bad I had my Jeep dealer install a new steering stabilizer which is the newest superceeded part number It did fix my problem but my Jeep only has 875 miles on it Steering has always been fine Just had the wobble and no drifting

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Also, I think there is a TSB for the sticking steering. It's a flash update I do believe. Tell your dealer to look it up.

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
I had an issue with death wobble late in January. I called the service department - they were slow getting back to me so I drove over to the dealership. Service adviser said he had to take the vehicle in for service and that it wasn’t safe to drive. They immediately arranged for a rental vehicle. I think there may be a restriction on renting anything other than Chrysler products, but there was no problem getting a rental paid for by the dealership. The steering dampener was replaced and it seems, for now anyhow, to be handling much better than it ever had before. My vehicle has been in the shop for service and test drives many, many times. I’m disappointed, but not really surprised I guess, that no one brought this problem to my attention after test driving the vehicle post-servicing.
Sponsored