Sponsored

Dealer Help - Reprogramming for Tire Size

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Wouldn't this mean that I would have to remove and reprogram whenever I take the vehicle to the dealer for routine maintenance?
Routine maintenance won't require them to flash or do anything to the computer. They're not going to care or notice. Now, if you go in for warranty work, that's where you'd want to reflash your computer back to stock and yank out the bypass module.

This is what I thought previously. If I have no desire to change any other settings than tire size, is there any real advantage to the Tazer over the AEV ProCal? Or to the JScan app?
Nope. Just price. I bought the FlashCal over the Tazer because, at the time, it was $100 cheaper and all I've ever needed it for is tire size calibration and to check codes. When I took my JL in for the PCM flash recall, I simply reset everything to stock, pulled the module, and dropped it off. When I got it back, I plugged everything back in and readjusted my tire size. There weren't any issues with the computer, the dealer didn't notice, and everything worked out just fine.
Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I second getting the Tazer. It'd already pay for itself seeing the asinine price the dealer quoted you. I've only used mine to recalibrate the speedo, adjust the tire pressure alert levels, and recognize the leds over halogens. I've had mine at the dealer repeatedly for the steering issues and have never had any issues. The only thing that's happened is when they updated the software for the steering, all my changes went back to stock and I just had to re-taze them. I will say I don't leave the unit plugged in the port though, I don't use any of the features that require that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, but “$542” for a 10-minute speedo recalibration is dealer speak for “stupid sucker.” I’d find another dealer... fast!

I have the $330 Tazer and my dealer don’t care. I used it to recalibrate my speedo, disable ESS, TraveLink, and a bunch of other modern annoyances.

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Tazer JL Lite – Z Automotive Check out their site, it will answer any question you might have and give details about all the features. I've reached out to them via email with questions; they are great with their customer service.
I saw you already put that you'd be grabbing one, leaving info/link for future readers.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I too would recommend the Tazer but be ready to unmarry and uninstall when you take your Jeep in for service. Hopefully it won't be frequently enough to be too much hassle.

I know a few of the dealers around here charge 1-hour shop time to recalibrate tire size.

Sponsored

Chotaling

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
Had my 2019 done by dealer in NorCal for about $300. They used the ProCal, put in the wiring harness and recalibrated for like $300 last month. I get the ProCal so I can use it if I need to regear. So about 150 in labor. Worth it to me to avoid the hassle and protect my warranty

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Had my 2019 done by dealer in NorCal for about $300. They used the ProCal, put in the wiring harness and recalibrated for like $300 last month. I get the ProCal so I can use it if I need to regear. So about 150 in labor. Worth it to me to avoid the hassle and protect my warranty
How do you figure the ProCal protects your warranty..... NOT!... guess again...

Dealer took advantage of you to say the least....

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
The dealers are up against it with FCA on this BCM access thing.

They can purchase a one-time, one-use license for the software at about $125 per copy. So then add a minimum 1 hour tech time (it's what they do regardless of any job that takes less than an hour) and that all adds up to over $200 or more depending on the dealer's shop rate.

Some dealers would rather sell you a programmer, such as the FlashCal, and even install it for you. They will claim this won't void your warranty because a dealer installed it but I'd strongly suggest you get that in writing and that the writing be specific with regards to warranty coverage being preserved by reason of the dealer installation. If you don't do that you may run into a brick wall with FCA later.

I totally agree with removing your electronic "accessory" before you go to the dealer, regardless of whether it is a service visit or warranty work. The dealer will, in many cases, as a standard practice access your PCM or BCM to update for active TSB's and recalls whether you know they are going to or if want them to or not.

So always unplug those things before you go to the dealer for ANY service or warranty work.

McQueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer charged me $200 to recalibrate tire size. Makes sense based on JL MADDOG’s input. I don’t want to mess with warranty risk so I had the dealer do it.

Sponsored

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
I've had it done on my JKs at 2 different dealers... $50 and 100... It's really quick and I was pissed about the $100, so that price is nuts

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@Irsnoma if that dealer wants $542 for that, I sure as hell wouldn't have them do routine maintenance. Tazer Lite is only a bit over$200 and will take care of what you're wanting, including ESS disable :)

TMM

First Name
TM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
should I pay $175 for dealer calibration with peace of mind vs spending $90 for jscan with risk
Sponsored