Sponsored

Upgrading Tire Size - "Dealer Contract"?

snakevsplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi,

Has anyone here changed their tires out for a bigger size? In my case I am going from stock 33 to 35.
The dealer has told me it will cost $120 dollars for a "Chrysler Contract" that is required to perform the update on my ECU or whatever to make the speedo read right.

Just wanna check is this normal? I would think the dealer would already have the computer tools to perform the update...$120 seems like a lot on top of everything I'm paying them for the tires, balancing, mounting etc.

Thanks for any replies!
Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
They do have tools, they just charging you $120 to reprogram your ECU , 10min of work.

It will cost you $75 if you are to do it yourself ( get OBjscan and needed hardware)

Last edited:

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
Try it out first. In my case, my speedometer always read slightly high (1-2mph over actual ground speed) with the stock 33" BFG KO2s and it is spot on (according to GPS speed) with my 35s.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You could also get a Tazer or Tazer light, and this does a lot more than just tire calibrations.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Is this dealer update just for speedo calibration or does it do anything else such as adjust shift points?

Capt Milks

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
A little old blog but just got the "service Contract" for the tire size upgrade. I got all of the dash lights after installing some 35" tires on a 2021 4xe Rubicon. I had purchased the security delete cables and had changed the tire size with the app on my phone, OBDJSCAN. Well I guess that didn't work as the lights came on after a 180 mile trip. I cleared everything I had done and reinstalled the security wiring. When looking for a code to clear nothing came up as being tripped. The dealer knew about the "service Contract" to change the tire size. I was wondering if the 2021's are different, the scan tool I used isn't good for this, do you have to change more parameters than just the tire size, or is the 4xe different?
Sponsored