Crash

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Does anyone know the approximate speed (rear impact) which would cause the JL’s seatbelt ratcheting system to fire and lock in place (smelled like a spent round)?
My 2 door JL was rear ended by a 7 passenger SUV, who did not apply her breaks, at all. The force pushed me into the trunk of the sedan in front of me. Both the driver who hit me and I were cited per FL statute (careless driving) I’ll be fighting that. I was just wondering if anyone with crash experience could answer some questions. Thanks View attachment 348445 View attachment 348444
You didn't mention weather you were moving at the time or stopped at a stop light. I was rear-ended on two different occasions at a stop light and forced into the vehicle in front of me. both in Florida and i did not get cited. the driver who hit me was cited both times. so I don't know what Florida statute your citing that makes the middle vehicle a careless driver unless you were all moving in traffic and you yourself was following too closely.
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Dunno about the Florida laws or if it changes while you are in motion. But in Texas had someone in a G35 slam into my car at a stoplight. Knocked my foot off the brake pedal and pushed me hard into the lady in front of me. Then he ran off before I could get the plates.

Both of our insurance companies ended up covering our own cars because he hit me first. I thought I was going to have to pay her claim too, but it was evidently a pretty clear rule.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Did your airbag deploy when you struck the vehicle in front of you? In many cases that is what triggers the firing of the seatbelt pretensioner. The small charge in there will indeed sound and smell like a spent round. Unfortunately though the firing of that device won’t do much for estimating the speed of the driver that struck you.

Here’s a decent article on the pretensioner system if anyone is interested:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-...-regulatory-devices/seatbelt-pretensioner.htm

OP
OP
Trauma Jeep

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Did your airbag deploy when you struck the vehicle in front of you? In many cases that is what triggers the firing of the seatbelt pretensioner. The small charge in there will indeed sound and smell like a spent round. Unfortunately though the firing of that device won’t do much for estimating the speed of the driver that struck you.

Here’s a decent article on the pretensioner system if anyone is interested:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-...-regulatory-devices/seatbelt-pretensioner.htm
Airbag did not deploy.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I've seen this happen a lot and I don't think there is much to fight, unfortunately. This is why I always have a pretty big gap in front of me. Even if the person rammed you and you flew and hit the person in front, it's still on you. Which is stupid.
What if you prove you kept an adequate gap in front?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
That is fair to say if the vehicle that caused the pile up was travelling at the speed limit. But what if it's some high idiot on a joyride doing 100 in a 30 zone?
Then, apparently in Florida, you would be expected to keep som insane amount of distance between cars. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it seems they believe that a safe distance would be one that doesn't allow your vehicle to be pushed into another.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
That is fair to say if the vehicle that caused the pile up was travelling at the speed limit. But what if it's some high idiot on a joyride doing 100 in a 30 zone?
Then he probably wouldn’t be posting on the Jeep forums for a while.

lsufan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I questioned the exact same thing last year when we was rear ended. The body shop indicated that they run a scan for faults and it will identify if there are any codes associated with the seat belt . No issues was found and I also requested to be reimbursed for deminished value with the at fault drivers insurance. I can't believe you was ticketed as we was also pushed into the vehicle in front of us, good to hear that no one was hurt.

OP
OP
Trauma Jeep

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
What if you prove you kept an adequate gap in front?
Yeah, I always keep at least enough room for egress (I judge it by my ability to see their tiers touching the ground). The force of the SUV which slammed into me at full speed quickly closed that gap.

OP
OP
Trauma Jeep

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
I questioned the exact same thing last year when we was rear ended. The body shop indicated that they run a scan for faults and it will identify if there are any codes associated with the seat belt . No issues was found and I also requested to be reimbursed for deminished value with the at fault drivers insurance. I can't believe you was ticketed as we was also pushed into the vehicle in front of us, good to hear that no one was hurt.
Thank you. I am as shocked as you are. I can only dismiss it as the office being confused as there was an accident in the north bound lane several minutes before.

OP
OP
Trauma Jeep

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
You didn't mention weather you were moving at the time or stopped at a stop light. I was rear-ended on two different occasions at a stop light and forced into the vehicle in front of me. both in Florida and i did not get cited. the driver who hit me was cited both times. so I don't know what Florida statute your citing that makes the middle vehicle a careless driver unless you were all moving in traffic and you yourself was following too closely.
I was stoped safely behind the car in front of me, that is until I was slammed into which pushed Into the vehicle in front.
Sponsored