European Crash Test Results

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Buy a Volvo. My wife insisted on one after an accident. Safest thing and boring as heck. Now she takes the JL whenever she can. Lol
Sponsored

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
Buy a Volvo. My wife insisted on one after an accident. Safest thing and boring as heck. Now she takes the JL whenever she can. Lol
We've owned many Jeeps, including a CJ8, 3 TJs and the JL Sahara we just bought. Except for the CJ8, they were all my wife's daily drivers. The CJ8 I rigged a seat in the back, WITH seatbelts tied in to frame. However, our youngest daughter (from a month old on..) rode in one of those tub/baby bucket things you can carry around, between the two front cab seats-again sitting on something I rigged with straps. EDIT: The narrowest car seat I could find would not fit between the seats. Had to use that bucket thing...

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I’ve said it before, the wrangler is a compromise vehicle. It has been since it’s inception. There are better road vehicles, better off road vehicles, faster vehicles, and yes, safer vehicles.
The wrangler was designed to take you to the end of the road, then go further. No vehicle does that better.
Whether it fits you or your families lifestyle or needs is something only you can decide for yourselves.
You posted your question on a forum of Jeep fans and owners. They will most likely have answers that are pro Jeep, but again, only you should decide for yourself.

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851

Patience. It's coming.

Motorcycle-Crash-Test-Dummy.jpg

For the more squeamish amongst us, the above is a crash dummy, not a real person. Also, racing leathers with airbags are now available for purchase by the general public. (^This^ is not that however)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Patience. It's coming.

Motorcycle-Crash-Test-Dummy.jpg

For the more squeamish amongst us, the above is a crash dummy, not a real person. Also, racing leathers with airbags are now available for purchase. (^This^ is not that however)
Honda does make a motorcycle with an airbag...
https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/airbags-motorcycle/
I used to love riding a motorcycle when I was younger, but that was back in the age before cell phones and distracted drivers.

Sponsored

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yes crash testing does occur on motorcycles too. I've done it to establish the coefficient of friction for various surfaces for sliding, tumbling, free rolling, etc. There may not be readily available data for the general pubic, but the data is there. You just have to look a little harder for it (as evident by the photos of crash tests).

No, it doesn't sound like the Smart car is safer just because F=ma..... .....It makes it sound like the Smart car will be easier to design a barrier for.
Yes, crashes are much more involved than a simple formula. I know it's not as simple as a base formula, which is why I said "to simplify the physics in crashes". My example was not indented to be a lesson in crash dynamics, nor an example of the specific formula(s) used to calculate all the forces involved. It was intended to be a simple explanation as to why it could appear that car "A" is safer than car "B" even if it's not.
And for what it's worth a lot of the data I've seen from Smart crash testing does imply they're safe due to the rigid cage around the occupants. I even remember seeing a photo of a SUV (or truck) sitting on top of a Smart car to boast about the cage's strength. But as you well know, if they're not reporting â–˛V on the occupants and only boasting a lack of physical contact and passenger compartment intrusion it's going to "look" good for those who don't understand everything involved.
Again, you are correct that it's much more involved than my simple explanation. I was trying to not turn the thread into a physics lesson, and used a very generalized example of how test results can look different than they actually are. Sorry if I over simplified it.

We had two Honda Odysseys when my kids were little. They swallowed up children, Costco binges, and even 4X8 sheets of plywood like no one's business. Now that we no longer have littles my wife won't drive a minivan, but they were fantastic vehicles and much more economical/practical than full sized SUVs.
As much as I hate to say it, minivans are usually pretty fancy. I don't want one and don't see me ever owning one, but it seems that they get the new tech and gadgets before other models do. I guess it makes sense to give the family car all the cool gadgets first.

Last edited:

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
My opinion: the Jeep culture is that of adventure. Take the top off, doors off, lower the window, lift it up, put bigger tires on it, steal bumpers that don’t crumple, tire on back blocks the mirror, they can drive in a few feet of water. Many owners push them to the limit, crawl rocks, push mud, sling sand.

They are built to go where you want to go.

They are not the safest modes of transportation available. They are very safe if you treat them with respect, know when to turn around, don’t weave in traffic and drive responsibly.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Why come on here and complain like a POLITICIAN if you don't like the Jeep sell it and move on.
Complaining for likes or votes.
I LOVE MY JL RUBICON

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
My observation is, it's not an invalid question, moreover the OP introduced themselves as "Unsafe at any Speed". That's a loaded statement to say the least. The first words out my mouth at a cocktail party (beer-fest, wine tasing, etc) wouldn't be "Did you know alcohol is the cause of..." Rather I would have introduced myself as interested but concerned. That would have gotten a LOT more support I believe.

I was interested in many of the helpful and insightful replies. But in the end if I was in your position it'd be a difficult decision but you have to do what you honestly believe is right for your children. They're the ones that count. You're not going to offend anyone here - we don't pay your bills.

I believe that the JL is a safe vehicle - at any speed (reasonable speed and control). It's the others that you cannot predict and have to watch for.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Since you know Ralph Nader I'm also assuming you're old enough to have driven many many cars far less safe than the Wrangler. If it bothers you that much, buy something else and count your lucky stars you somehow survived all these years in less safe cars.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Wtf if you want safe maybe you need a priavolvo then sip your chardonay i am probably old enough to know what the media says especially these nanny snowflske nader types is pure utter political bs. An example when i was in high school i got my first real car a 1965 chevy covair convertible with four single barrel carbs my dad had a friend who raced for ferrari until the corvettes cam out and then he switched to the vete team he helped my dad pick out the car i give you this backgroud for the rest of the story.

One day in late 1971 i was heading back to college i think it was just after new years break i was cruising on the 101 somewhere in the middle of the state i was doing a steady 115 mph and gettibg sleepy so i thought i ll slow down backed off to 90 promtly fell asleep woke up when the left side wheel hit the dirt. I just cranked hard right and i swear it felt like iwas on two wheels and gonna roll it felt like it but probably wasnt

That car really handled well it had the same suspension as the vetes but scaled down

The point is sone snowflake is always trying to make every safe you live your life and take your chances let Darwin decide if your genes can be passed down so is the safe hell yes in my 2008 ingot tboned by a toyota sequoia my wife and i walked away unharmed the occupants in the sequoia were hurt the sequoia had
Way more damage and they hit us the jeep less damage

Based on my experience the jeep is plenty safe all the rest is bs

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I drove an army M151A2 for 9 years; I drove a Jeep CJ5 (the easiest Jeep to Roll over) for 7 years; I still drive daily my 2004 Jeep TJ and I drive my new 2018-JL as much as I can.
NONE of my jeeps ever rolled over......and trust me, I drove the chit out of the first two jeeps......in the most extreme conditions and abused them beyond their intended purpose.
I NEVER came close to rolling or crashing a Jeep...........because I drove them as they were designed to be driven.........like a JEEP !
If you think you are going to drive any Jeep as if it’s a car.......you are likely to exceed its ability on the street and YOU will have induced an accident.
If you keep in mind that this Jeep is an OFF ROAD KING, 1st.......that is capable of legally being driven on our roadways.......you will never have any problems.
If your primary concerns are your family’s safety......then find your safety vehicle and good luck to you.
But a vehicle that is good in a crash is NO substitute for prudent driving skills.
Buying / Owning a Jeep is a lifestyle decision......it’s not a simple “I need a car” decision.
You really need need to re-think your reasons for buying a Jeep.............or at least wait for the new Bubble-Wrap passenger safety option.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Accidents happen to Jeeps.
Other cars can ram into Jeeps.
Big ole 70s trucks can ram into Jeep and smash them like grapes, they are not "big"
Studies are done to see what the weak spots are so buyers have information.
Yes the Jeep needs a damn rear side airbag, and yes if you drive it too fast and spin the wheel you can flip, dont do that.

Acting like its a test of loyalty to not discuss safety is absurd, Its safety and chassis integrity should be looked at and improved as needed like any vehicle.

sleepnclass

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
To me safe is relative. Depending on the level of stupidity behind the wheel of other cars, no matter what you do could get you boned. More safety features and airbags, etc will only help so much if someone is on their phone or doing other things instead of paying attention.

Example: someone plows into you going over the speed limit after running a red, there is not much you could’ve done to prevent it.

Other cars are safer and yeah that could help but ultimately people are getting shot in public now so to me it’s just not worth thinking about what ifs.

It has airbags, even side airbags. It has seatbelts, blind spot detec, etc.

I’d say a keep the wrangler. It’s fun and I don’t fear for my safety in mine any more than I do in my other cars but to each their own. If safety is a concern I get it. Maybe research other cars. But don’t use YouTube. If you’re worried about safety gather news from better sources. IIHS, NHSTA are good sites. Reputable. Any jerk with phone can post something to YouTube (speaking from experience here :P).
Sponsored