Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone with JUST front LCAs and a lift that can measure length? I stopped at 4wp the other day since they're local and competent but they are so backed up they told me they couldn't even get me in till the first week of January .
Okay ive been doing some math (which is hard for me) i looked at stock lengths my lengths and 4xnaz and mc lengths. Stock has a length difference of 3 3/4” 4xnaz and mine have a difference of 4 1/4. So if you have stock uppers which are 20 1/4 you should adjust your lowers to 24 1/2. That should put you right around where we are on caster.
Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Okay ive been doing some math (which is hard for me) i looked at stock lengths my lengths and 4xnaz and mc lengths. Stock has a length difference of 3 3/4” 4xnaz and mine have a difference of 4 1/4. So if you have stock uppers which are 20 1/4 you should adjust your lowers to 24 1/2. That should put you right around where we are on caster.
Awesome, turns out that exactly where I'm at!

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
Network Automotive in Mesa. The alignment was $89.99 and added another $85.00 shop hour labor rate on top of that for removing the lower control arms on both sides to decrease caster.
That doesn't sound too bad. I'm debating if I'm going to do a alignment or not. I just checked my axle and it looked to me like I was right where I'm supposed to be. The jeep does seem to wander around a little more than I like but I'm wondering if that's my fault for doing wheels with a -38 offset and 13.5 wide tires.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't sound too bad. I'm debating if I'm going to do a alignment or not. I just checked my axle and it looked to me like I was right where I'm supposed to be. The jeep does seem to wander around a little more than I like but I'm wondering if that's my fault for doing wheels with a -38 offset and 13.5 wide tires.
Checked pressure and all that good stuff? Mine wanders a bit too, but its my tires that have a slight pull

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checked pressure and all that good stuff? Mine wanders a bit too, but its my tires that have a slight pull
Tire pressure is at 33 psi. From what I've read I could probably go lower. I did upgrade to the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer when I did the lift.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Tire pressure is at 33 psi. From what I've read I could probably go lower. I did upgrade to the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer when I did the lift.
You could get the alignment checked to make sure, might just be your tires

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The actual alignment check is free of charge. Wont hurt to get it looked at. If they need to do any adjustments, then money is involved.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
The actual alignment check is free of charge. Wont hurt to get it looked at. If they need to do any adjustments, then money is involved.
I wish i could find a place that would do that. Everywhere ive gone wants 80 bucks to just check lol

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
In theory it sounds great. In real life Scenario doesn’t seem to work that way.
I like that explanation you posted. Explained really well.

In real life it works very well, BUT it all depends on many factors.

Sponsored

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Just installed the Rusty's LCA's. My stock LCA's measured at 23 15/16" center to center, giving me 3 degrees with my 2.5" lift. I ended up lengthening my LCA's roughly 7/16" (5.5 full turns out), which gave me 6 degrees caster (measured 0 degrees at the pinion flange). Drives better than ever now, one-finger steering at 75 mph! Hopefully this will help solve my steering wobble as well. I installed the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer weeks ago, but still felt that was just masking the issue.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
I am completely frustrated chasing whatever my problems are. Only 9K miles on my JL Sahara and death wobbles like crazy at any bump over 50mph! Did a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift in June with wider 275/65-18" Coopers on 10" Helo rims. Diameter stayed almost identical to stock 32" rubber, just 1" wider and more square. Had alignment checked when rubber went on at NTB. All was fine until mid November when I suddenly got a death wobble on a 45mph curve. Then, it was only happening on the unloaded wheel, e.g. right wheel would start shaking if making a RH curve & hit a bump, left wheel when going left, etc. But only when hitting bumps at speed with unloaded wheel. Then it started doing it when running square over bumps like bridge joints or railroad tracks. If I'm at 45mph It'll start but quit pretty quickly as I let off the gas. If over 50mph it just gets worse and worse and will not quit until I slow down at least 20mph or more. It's disaster on the highway right now. Smooth as glass until the slightest irregularity sets it off. I've installed adjustable LCA's and started with the recommended dimension. I've increased it twice now and am running close to 9 or so degrees and I think it's actually getting worse. The only thing I feel has improved is the 'wandering' which has also been an issue since day 1 on the JL. Software recall/update seemed to have helped a bit and steering dampner too but not much. I also swapped out the steering dampner to check its effect. Regardless of stock or aftermarket, I get the same results.
Nothing is worn, broken, bent, no time on the trails yet with this Jeep. I'm about to de-mod it and go back to stock just to get back to baseline.

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am completely frustrated chasing whatever my problems are. Only 9K miles on my JL Sahara and death wobbles like crazy at any bump over 50mph! Did a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift in June with wider 275/65-18" Coopers on 10" Helo rims. Diameter stayed almost identical to stock 32" rubber, just 1" wider and more square. Had alignment checked when rubber went on at NTB. All was fine until mid November when I suddenly got a death wobble on a 45mph curve. Then, it was only happening on the unloaded wheel, e.g. right wheel would start shaking if making a RH curve & hit a bump, left wheel when going left, etc. But only when hitting bumps at speed with unloaded wheel. Then it started doing it when running square over bumps like bridge joints or railroad tracks. If I'm at 45mph It'll start but quit pretty quickly as I let off the gas. If over 50mph it just gets worse and worse and will not quit until I slow down at least 20mph or more. It's disaster on the highway right now. Smooth as glass until the slightest irregularity sets it off. I've installed adjustable LCA's and started with the recommended dimension. I've increased it twice now and am running close to 9 or so degrees and I think it's actually getting worse. The only thing I feel has improved is the 'wandering' which has also been an issue since day 1 on the JL. Software recall/update seemed to have helped a bit and steering dampner too but not much. I also swapped out the steering dampner to check its effect. Regardless of stock or aftermarket, I get the same results.
Nothing is worn, broken, bent, no time on the trails yet with this Jeep. I'm about to de-mod it and go back to stock just to get back to baseline.
If you haven't already I would watch the front end with someone inside your jeep quickly turning the wheel back and forth while it's running. You might find some slop in something that you can't physically get to move by hand.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
9 degrees of caster is tooo much...... I think you should be able to find a sweet spot +/- 6 degrees..... Good Luck chasing your gremlins

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Too much caster. Death wobble can get worse with too much caster. I made this mistake. I’m now around 5.8 degrees which seems to be the sweet spot for me. Make sure and get the toe set once the caster is corrected.
Sponsored