Caster Shake

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Car is shaking at highway speeds after bumps.

Installed a teraflex SS and that tightened up my steering play issue, but made a vibration come on strong while at highway speeds.

I also added a steel bumper and winch to the front dropping the car quite a bit.

I lifted my jeep up on rubi takeoffs, but did not seem to have this issue until adding the SS.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Did my change help?
Yes. Beautiful! šŸ‘

Sounds like you might have a case of Death Wobble.

What size tires are you running?

My JL has a Mopar lift. But I noticed that after mounting 35s and adding a winch to the front, my steering became erratic on uneven surfaces, especially in hard braking when the weight of the vehicle gets transferred to the front.

I was able to eliminate most of the side-to-side pull by replacing the OE steering stabilizer with a much beefier Fox 2.0.

Iā€™m not familiar with the Teraflex stabilizer; the Fox stabilizer is at least twice as stiff as the OE.

My Jeep is now at the dealer getting the steering box replaced under the TSB.

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
You don't have Death Wobble...if you did you wouldn't be driving it on the highway. Stabilizer is a band aid. What tires are you running and at what PSI? Ball joints could also be the culprit. Do you have the steel steering box? If not, google the TSB and get it swapped for free by Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
My dealer doesnt want to swap my steering box. I have an appt for Friday but they dont want to have to replace it ( because i made modifications). I donā€™t have time to deal with them as its my only car AND they have NO loaners. I am running 31s i have 33k on my 2020.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
33s should be causing so much trouble.

You could have some loose parts down there: the ball joints, as mentioned above, or the steering drag link and tie rod could have become loose, too.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Are your 33s wide?

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
You don't have Death Wobble...if you did you wouldn't be driving it on the highway. Stabilizer is a band aid. What tires are you running and at what PSI? Ball joints could also be the culprit. Do you have the steel steering box? If not, google the TSB and get it swapped for free by Jeep.
Do you really think my BJs are bad. I only have 33k on my miles. Running stock wheels and tires. 32psi.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Update: Removed my SS and the shake isnā€™t there. My drag link has quite a bit of movement on both ball joints when i grab it with my hand. Iā€™m thinking this is the issue. This has always been loose and my steering has always shook a bit on bumps, this new SS is much stiffer than my old onE. And I believe makes me feel the issue more.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer doesnt want to swap my steering box. I have an appt for Friday but they dont want to have to replace it ( because i made modifications). I donā€™t have time to deal with them as its my only car AND they have NO loaners. I am running 31s i have 33k on my 2020.
Turns out my dealer doesn't want to replace the steering box, either.

Those fƗckers had installed the Mopar lift; I added a Yeti adjustable track bar because the OE track bar is trash after you lift the Jeep. No matter; this morning the dealer refused to do the TSB because I had added aftermarket parts.

I'm so done with that dealer. And after 30 years owning nothing but Chryslers and Jeeps, this is likely my last Jeep. I'll hold onto this one until I get bored or it falls apart, but I can't really justify paying the prices Jeep wants to be treated like this.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Turns out my dealer doesn't want to replace the steering box, either.

Those fƗckers had installed the Mopar lift; I added a Yeti adjustable track bar because the OE track bar is trash after you lift the Jeep. No matter; this morning the dealer refused to do the TSB because I had added aftermarket parts.

I'm so done with that dealer. And after 30 years owning nothing but Chryslers and Jeeps, this is likely my last Jeep. I'll hold onto this one until I get bored or it falls apart, but I can't really justify paying the prices Jeep wants to be treated like this.
DID you contact jeep cares

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
DID you contact jeep cares
You mean ā€œJeepDontCareā€...? šŸ˜«

No, I havenā€™t. The fact is this dealer has a well-documented record of terrible service. So I doubt JeepCares will be able to change any of that.

Unfortunately, we donā€™t have many dealer choices here. We only have one CDJR dealer in town; perhaps thatā€™s the reason their service is so crummy. Beyond that there is a dealer 30 miles down the freeway, and then a cluster of dealers in Metro Seattle, 65 miles away, which Iā€™m not going to drive to every time I need service.

My next step is to approach the dealer 30 miles away and ask point blank if they are willing to do the TSB. If they do, great. If they donā€™t, then all the cards are on the table.

Iā€™m sick and tired of Jeep dealers. Iā€™m reaching the end of my tether with Jeep.
Sponsored