Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Increasing castor will definitely help with wandering/drifting your experiencing and won’t effect your choice of track bars. As far as which lcas to get, that’s subjective, metal cloak, rock krawler, evo, all very good products, I personally prefer rock krawler, but they all will work great. I’d have them set your castor at 5.5 degrees and see how that does. You may have to adjust them a couple times before you find the sweet spot. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Had my alignment after 2.5 MC true dual rate installed. Great lift. Tech was very cool and took me under the Jeep on the lift to explain the alignment process.

I see everyone talking about 4-6 degrees caster but he was concerned about the pinion angle.

It does drive nicer after he adjusted the toe. Do I need to adjust the caster more?

20200125_145656.jpg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Had my alignment after 2.5 MC true dual rate installed. Great lift. Tech was very cool and took me under the Jeep on the lift to explain the alignment process.

I see everyone talking about 4-6 degrees caster but he was concerned about the pinion angle.

It does drive nicer after he adjusted the toe. Do I need to adjust the caster more?

20200125_145656.jpg
IMHO, I would get it up closer to 6. I’m running 6.4 and 6.5 on mine, no issues. With the 2 pc axle your driveshaft doesn’t spin all the time like it did in the past. If it did you would probably get a slight vibration over 50 mph. Usually you won’t be traveling that fast when your in 4 wd and if you did, it’s a very slight vibration.

I’ve got first hand experience with this. I bought the rcv one pc axle shafts for my rig which made the front driveshaft turn all the time. With my high caster I got a slight vibration at around 55-60.

I didn’t want to back my caster off any as my rig tracks straight as an arrow the way it is, so I sold the one pc rcvs and bought the 2 pc ones. No issues now at all.

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR

20200125_145656.jpg
There is a little personal preference with caster. Mine is set at 5.8 which is very close to a 0 pinion angle, and I have no problems at all. Just my opinion but 2.8 seems pretty low. At a minimum I would try and get it back in spec around 4.5 degrees. Adjusting your caster will impact your toe and it will need to be checked or set again if you change your caster. On the other hand if it’s driving nice and you like the handling you could leave it alone.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
There is a little personal preference with caster. Mine is set at 5.8 which is very close to a 0 pinion angle, and I have no problems at all. Just my opinion but 2.8 seems pretty low. At a minimum I would try and get it back in spec around 4.5 degrees. Adjusting your caster will impact your toe and it will need to be checked or set again if you change your caster. On the other hand if it’s driving nice and you like the handling you could leave it alone.
It is driving nice but I have a slight bow in my driver side spring that I hate. It's been there since install. It was recommended that my low caster angle is likely the culprit throwing the perch at an angle.

Should my UCA from MetalCloak be enough to get 4 degrees more?

Sponsored

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
It is driving nice but I have a slight bow in my driver side spring that I hate. It's been there since install. It was recommended that my low caster angle is likely the culprit throwing the perch at an angle.

Should my UCA from MetalCloak be enough to get 4 degrees more?
your adjustable upper control arms should get you whatever you need. To get some caster back you either have to shorten the upper control arms or lengthen the lower control arms. It doesn’t take much of a change to make an impact.

in my opinion I don’t think a couple degrees of caster is going to change the spring bow much, but it’s worth a shot. If Your springs still bow after the change and you decide to fix it I would recommend the rock crawler correction pads. I used the Rock Crawler correction pads to fix the spring bow and they worked perfectly. They are not very expensive but installation can be difficult depending on your skill level.

good luck! Like your Jeep, looks good.

psuntlion

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Camaro ZL1 1LE, BMW M3, R1250GSA
I just had my ‘18 JLUR aligned after installing 2.5” Teraflex ST2 lift. They said that the caster is not adjustable? It’s at 7.1 . I’ve seen others in this thread saying 6.0 is ok? How to adjust if it’s not factory adjustable? Caster kit?
3C4C28C7-3761-4658-9C3B-ADDA4FBFF6B9.jpeg

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
I just had my ‘18 JLUR aligned after installing 2.5” Teraflex ST2 lift. They said that the caster is not adjustable? It’s at 7.1 . I’ve seen others in this thread saying 6.0 is ok? How to adjust if it’s not factory adjustable? Caster kit?
7 degrees seems to be a lot of caster unless your running 40 inch tires. I’m running just under 6 degrees. The only way to properly adjust the caster is by purchasing new lower or upper control arms that are adjustable. I wouldn’t recommend a caster kit for a Jeep. There are lots of options for adjustable lower control arms and they would worth the money. I am surprised the terraflex kit pushed the caster out to 7 degrees, that doesn’t seem right, you might want to give them a call and confirm that is the intended caster.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Double check with Teraflex, maybe you got lower control arms for higher lift....

Sponsored

psuntlion

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man.... it sure looks like you’re on a 3.5” lift, instead of a 2.5”. I’m on 3.5” RK, and you look taller than me, lol.......
That reminded me - I added a Rough Country 3/4” spring spacer based on a recommendation I saw by [Banned Site] saying that the spacers will correct for the weight of the winch (going on tomorrow). I wonder if that is what is throwing off the caster?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That reminded me - I added a Rough Country 3/4” spring spacer based on a recommendation I saw by [Banned Site] saying that the spacers will correct for the weight of the winch (going on tomorrow). I wonder if that is what is throwing off the caster?
I don’t think so, the higher you go, the less caster you have. There was another member on here a while back that had the same thing happen with the same lift, but I never heard what he found out. Maybe they’ll see this and reach out.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
7° is not that crazy for the lift and tires you have. I would see how everything works together for a few weeks before trying to make changes.

psuntlion

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7° is not that crazy for the lift and tires you have. I would see how everything works together for a few weeks before trying to make changes.
True. The thing definitely pulls tho, usually to the right, which I've read is a symptom of high caster. Hopefully I'll hear back from Teraflex tomorrow.
Sponsored