Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I just had my hood fixed for this corrosion issue in the picture below. I have had my Wrangler one year now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_4263
Sponsored

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
It was mentioned in a previous post that any of us who are lucky enough to find a dealer that will fix this, it will ultimately show up on a carfax report as the car has been repainted. Is that true? If yes, do they make a note of the actual situation at least for explanation?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Gasket acts as an insulator between the two dissimilar metals preventing the corrosion process.
But they aren't dissimilar are they? Would water seeping in between two aluminum parts cause this kind of corrosion?

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But they aren't dissimilar are they? Would water seeping in between two aluminum parts cause this kind of corrosion?
Doors are aluminum and the hinges are steel. They wouldn't want to make the hinges out of aluminum because they would be subject to galling when installing/removing the pins for the hinges.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

Sponsored

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They aren't on my 2020. Or, they aren't attracted to a magnet. Have you actually checked yours?
No, I am still speculating. So I did just check them and they are at least non-ferrous. The torx screws are highly magnetic though and the fields seem to carryover to the hinge.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
No, I am still speculating. So I did just check them and they are at least non-ferrous. The torx screws are highly magnetic though and the fields seem to carryover to the hinge.
The doors/hinges are aluminum …..the screws are steel

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
FCA has known about this issue and continued to release new products again, and again...
As I've stated, until it massively impacts sales, there's no reason for them to change, as only a small percentage of owners get their vehicle repainted, and every owner that doesn't is a financial win for Jeep.

It literally is a cost/benefit analysis and it's cheaper to pay for the occasional repaint.

Dahoef2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited Black & Tan
I believe the hinges on my 2019 were all steel. I tested them with a magnet and actually they faked me out the first time as the steel bolts did throw me off.
Here’s an excerpt FCA’s service bulletin:

“DISCUSSION:
Aluminum corrosion or bubbling along the leading edge of hood, hinges or other exterior surface areas of the hinges, doors, fenders, swing gates or liftgates.
NOTE: This only applies to aluminum panels. To determine if the panel is aluminum, refer to collision manual for material specifications> DealerCONNECT> Service Library> enter year, model, engine> select collision info tab (adjacent to diagnostic tab)> 31- Collision Information> Specifications> Standardize Material Identification.
DIAGNOSIS:
Aluminum corrosion or bubbling on the doors and/or hinges (Fig. 1)”

Dahoef2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited Black & Tan
Doors are aluminum and the hinges are steel. They wouldn't want to make the hinges out of aluminum because they would be subject to galling when installing/removing the pins for the hinges.
Please review:
FCA Class Action Compilation Filed 12/03/21
https://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/n...wrangler-corrosion-warranty-a-sham-176042.pdf

Excerpt from class action:

F. FCA’s Inadequate Remedy for the Corrosion Defect 86. As evidenced by the repair instructions in the five TSBs issued by FCA, repainting the Class Vehicles, even if done properly, does not cure the Corrosion Defect and does not remedy the diminution of value that occurs from repainting.

***There are a total of 5 service bulletins/corrections (two below)!***

#1 FCA service bulletin pertaining to galvanic corrosion on aluminum panel vehicles as old as 2013:
https://rts.i-car.com/images/pdf/oem-info/chrysler/service-bulletins/36282.pdf

#2 Superseding service bulletin including my model year Jeep:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183098-9999.pdf

What is Galvanic Corrosion?
https://www.twi-global.com/technica...-galvanic-corrosion-and-how-can-it-be-avoided

Customer YouTube review with three recurrences of Jeep Wrangler JL galvanic corrosion after FCA/Stellantis warranty paint repairs:
https://youtu.be/fzls6xrTa_o
They aren't on my 2020. Or, they aren't attracted to a magnet. Have you actually checked yours?

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The hinges are aluminium. Have been since at least the JK. The bolts that hold them on are steel. There is no point where those two steels meet bare. The steel nuts are threaded into steel floating "nuts" inside the door. I know this because I have now removed and either bedlined or LineX'd all of mine on both a JK and the JLU. There wasn't a "special run" of steel hinges and anyone who says there were steel ones is mistaken.

I personally don't think this isn't galvanic corrosion at all. I think shitty paint with microscopic cracks is letting water in and then oxidizing the aluminum. That's why you're getting bubbles where it's only an aluminum panel. It's more prevalent on the hinges because they paint everything seperate and then torque the hinges on, most likely creating more small cracks.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Hinges are aluminum w/ steel bolts and plates within the doors that the bolts are bolted to.

Hood and doors are aluminum.

Tailgate is magnesium.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392

“DISCUSSION:
Aluminum corrosion or bubbling along the leading edge of hood, hinges or other exterior surface areas of the hinges, doors, fenders, swing gates or liftgates.
NOTE: This only applies to aluminum panels. To determine if the panel is aluminum, refer to collision manual for material specifications> DealerCONNECT> Service Library> enter year, model, engine> select collision info tab (adjacent to diagnostic tab)> 31- Collision Information> Specifications> Standardize Material Identification.
DIAGNOSIS:

“DISCUSSION:
DIAGNOSIS:
I agree, misspoke when I said steel, as is verified with my older posts. When I checked on my 2019 the magnet did fake me out the first time, as I said, so I thought they were steel. Then, I checked again further from the bolts, and verified aluminum. This was a couple of months or so ago.