Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Take your warranty information and your notes regarding all of the BS you have faced to an attorney.
Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh

drichard989

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08KK, 21JLU
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Exactly what I did. Sad to see it go but happy I’m not dealing with the BS.
My first JL, it’s fun to drive but between this and for myself my use case has changed a bit. I want to tow a boat and could use more room for skis , etc. I’m probably going to go find a used expedition or suburban.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
My first JL, it’s fun to drive but between this and for myself my use case has changed a bit. I want to tow a boat and could use more room for skis , etc. I’m probably going to go find a used expedition or suburban.
I had an expedition years ago. I loved that big boat. Sucked gas big time but I didn’t care. It was an awesome mom mobile because I sure as hell wasn’t driving a mini van.

Sponsored

jandersendo

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Had to replace my tailgate before they had a chance to fix (don’t ask). This is how bad it was. You can see upper hinge just starting. I am convinced all JLs will all do this at some point It starts at bare aluminum to paint interface.

0FB6BBC1-D6C9-4969-AEEF-894F69D8338F.jpeg

126CA9DE-A29F-4E85-873A-9441BA9EED54.jpeg

This is what it gets replaced with. - done the RIGHT way! No factory shortcut of hanging PRIOR to paint.

CB906140-514D-4118-A047-C3AA6239523D.jpeg

goes to dealer for all door hinges Wednesday.
Won’t necessarily fix anything because bubbling has been documented at other places rather than just around the hinges

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
After a significant run around, multiple calls to Jeep, messaging with Jeep Cares, "waiting in line" for 6 months at one dealer, being told "you didn't buy it here so we can't do it," at another and multiple other hiccups, my Jeep has finally been returned to me in near satisfactory condition.

In the end what it took was a executive email carpet bomb sent to the email of every top ranking Jeep/Stellantis executive I could find through google.

Within a day of the emails I got a call from one of their executive relations team, and within two weeks it was accepted for repair.

It was frustrating that is what it took, and I made sure I made every possible attempt to resolve the issue through proper methods first. I will never get the hours of my life back, but at least I can be happy with my Jeep again. My bubbling had hit not only the hinges but also the bottom lip of both doors.

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I'm getting the hinge bubbling as well as on the edge of the hood close to where it latches...was putting it off to fix until I was closer to running out of warranty but if it's taking 6 months to fix I better get the ball rolling soon.

libis22

First Name
Libin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Daytona 675R, Willys sport XR
Occupation
Electronics engineer building software
Can anyone please confirm if this an issue with 2022 and 2023 generation JL (probably too early to say)??

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Exercise Therapist/Martial Artist
After a significant run around, multiple calls to Jeep, messaging with Jeep Cares, "waiting in line" for 6 months at one dealer, being told "you didn't buy it here so we can't do it," at another and multiple other hiccups, my Jeep has finally been returned to me in near satisfactory condition.

In the end what it took was a executive email carpet bomb sent to the email of every top ranking Jeep/Stellantis executive I could find through google.

Within a day of the emails I got a call from one of their executive relations team, and within two weeks it was accepted for repair.

It was frustrating that is what it took, and I made sure I made every possible attempt to resolve the issue through proper methods first. I will never get the hours of my life back, but at least I can be happy with my Jeep again. My bubbling had hit not only the hinges but also the bottom lip of both doors.
I hope they were kind enough to replace your doors, as I have had mine fixed twice, and am returning January 23rd for another try. My Stellantis case manager says that this time the doors will be replaced

Hinges, bottom of both front doors and edge of hood

đŸ‘đŸŒ

Sponsored

Dahoef2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited Black & Tan
Literally Sick to my stomach. 5 months of not giving a crap @JeepCares!

2020 JLU Black and Tan. Noticed galvanic corrosion at 29K miles while waxing in June. All aluminum panels, all hinges, tailgate, hood, and door base
 My Jeep is falling apart. Never off road. A business professional daily driver and kept immaculate. @JeepCares no they do not!

Far too much interaction with FCA/Stellantis for a post to convey, but went to file a claim the following day per Stellantis on June 7th. Was chastised by the dealer for “how little $ they make on these repairs. They would get to it when they had time.”

Coming from a manufacturing family of 40+ years, I was already aware of what it was and what was causing it. Yet Stellantis reps claimed I was one of the first they’ve heard of (lol). Service bulletins dating back to 2013 show otherwise. Class actions show much worse. Many FCA brands are affected for over 10 years and they continued to profit off lazy/faulty manufacturing.

By mid-July no claim filed and on my 4th rep from FCA/Stellantis. Tried multiple other dealers (originating dealer) and they wouldn’t help. Promises from Stellantis that they’d keep trying the dealers. No dice. Nov. was the earliest I could get a paint “fix” (if approved). Would not talk panel replacement. Dealer said “no way.”

Much research, and some panels are being replaced. Some aren’t. Painting will not correct the pitting and it will return unless new OEM parts (properly prepped and primed) are used. Raw aluminum with steel bolts are part of the issue, but all doors and all aluminum panels are affected in my vehicle, not just hinges. Horrible, shotty prep/paint work, period.

Disgusting treatment and denial of the issue. I reached out to the IN BBB, whom FCA refuses to work with (hmmm). Was getting nowhere with Stellantis, so I reached out to my AG office and they accepted my claim (to mediate). Stellantis immediately called to cancel my claim. This nightmare started over 5 months ago. Months of ignoring me and our AG letters. Only building my case for me, Stellantis. But @JeepCares - lol! Legal it will be then. Anyone know a good IN lemon law attorney?

I’m so done. Bought many, many Jeeps and Grand Cherokees over the years. Toyota/Lexus just gained a customer for life.

Trying to correct (mask) over and over, with the same parts/process and expecting a different result = insanity.

P.S.

Called another local Jeep dealer body shop today (11/28/22). They flat out said they are so inundated with Wrangler galvanic corrosion that they are booked out to September of 2023!

Stop buying this garbage now!

988120A9-5194-4EE9-AA71-75FE5CC22749.jpeg

49B74B6B-98D5-4FF4-8377-86CB0869760F.jpeg

83B0B053-F2D1-4D54-A5C6-85045B72AE45.jpeg

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
If Jeep has not confirmed a fix , then there is not one .
I doubt you will ever see a confirmed fix as that is an admission of guilt. What I did post here regarding my 2023, 392, is that there are now .015" gaskets between the hinges and aluminum skins. Whether they painted the surfaces first is anybody's guess. I am not inclined to start removing them. On my hood, which is steel, there isn't a gasket, however, I'm hoping that they at least painted the surfaces before assembly. The 2022 models I looked at did not have that .015 gap.

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I doubt you will ever see a confirmed fix as that is an admission of guilt. What I did post here regarding my 2023, 392, is that there are now .015" gaskets between the hinges and aluminum skins. Whether they painted the surfaces first is anybody's guess. I am not inclined to start removing them. On my hood, which is steel, there isn't a gasket, however, I'm hoping that they at least painted the surfaces before assembly. The 2022 models I looked at did not have that .015 gap.
I agree, i guess the question is, do you trust them to fix problems ? its only been 5 years ,if something happened in 23.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
From what I've read from the others who have had the repair done under warranty, there is no gasket being added. I don't understand why this is the case if it is believed to be the fix.
Sponsored