Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Nostromo7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU
The painted surfaces should suffice and either way, if the panels are both steel, there isn't a problem.
Are the overhead roll bars steel? I thought they were likely aluminum like the rest of the body. I suppose aluminum roll bars would likely not provide much roll protection...
Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Are the overhead roll bars steel? I thought they were likely aluminum like the rest of the body. I suppose aluminum roll bars would likely not provide much roll protection...
I suspect they are steel, however, a magnet will tell the tale. I'm thinking the body in that area is steel also.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My jeep wasn't ready Friday so now shooting for Tuesday. The shop has told me they are not sure how well the paint is going to match. They are fading in some areas but warned me we might have to fight with Jeep if it looks terrible.

They have told Jeep that paint is not correct on the body. The only thing that has the correct color is the grill. They wanted a rep to come out and look at it and they won't do it.

I'm hopeful that the paint is pretty good and I can move on from this. I would think Jeep would step up especially in a case like mine and at a minimum extend the warranty but they have not offered anything other than being a major pain to get the work approved. When you submit and it takes days to hear back that's more time it just sits at a dealership.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer adjusted the tailgate on Thursday and it is probably better than when I bought it new. On Friday they callled and said Jeep authorized the additional hunger work BUT DID NOT AUTHORIZE the windshield frame. They gave me a number at Jeep to call. Has anyone had luck with the windshield frame repair?

Also, my hood has shown no signs of blistering. I was thinking of waiting on the small areas on the hinges that still need to be done. After next winter, if my hood shows the same, then I can have it all done at once. The dealer was not sure how long the current approval lasts. Does anyone have experience with that>

Jeepers 2020

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Update…. Truck goes in tomorrow to body shop at dealership to get all doors and tailgate painted. No problems showed on hood.. I’ll post pics after I get it back. Wish me luck.

Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
My jeep wasn't ready Friday so now shooting for Tuesday. The shop has told me they are not sure how well the paint is going to match. They are fading in some areas but warned me we might have to fight with Jeep if it looks terrible.

They have told Jeep that paint is not correct on the body. The only thing that has the correct color is the grill. They wanted a rep to come out and look at it and they won't do it.

I'm hopeful that the paint is pretty good and I can move on from this. I would think Jeep would step up especially in a case like mine and at a minimum extend the warranty but they have not offered anything other than being a major pain to get the work approved. When you submit and it takes days to hear back that's more time it just sits at a dealership.
They are terrible to deal with, it's all about the money. The more people whom can be put off and possibly made to give up, the more it saves $$ for the Stellantis family.
When I received a call from them regarding my 2022 order being reconfigured to a 2023, they informed me that I was price protected so there will be no additional cost to me. The rep was so decent, she asked me to call her back with the information from and about the dealer whom told me that I was not price protected for the vehicle cost. I called back the number and asked for her by name, whereby some rude lady said she does not know who that is nor do they know anything about pricing. Totally ruined my faith in that organization. Don't give up, push them to the end to make it right. They also own CASE heavy equipment and I almost purchased a new excavator from them. Happy I switched to Kubota in the end.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392

Tfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Hi all,

I’m fairly new to the forum and very late to see this thread. It’s got me in panic mode. I haven’t read back through 153 pages but did read the last 5 or 6. Does anyone know if there have been any design changes to prevent this problem for the 2023 models? As a boat owner in a salty marine environment, I am all too familiar with corrosion problems with dissimilar metals. I just ordered a $94K fully loaded 392 Xtreme Recon. That’s just way too much money to buy into this corrosion headache. I’m ready to call the dealer and cancel if nothing is changed for 2023.

Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
The battery effect caused by the dissimilar metals is pumped throughout the door panel, and that is also what causes the other areas to corrode.

dpsanborn

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler S Unlimted JL
For everyone going through the same issue I am going through, I just wanted to give an update on the legal path. I hired a lawyer the letters went out to the dealer and Jeep. I got a call from the dealer after that the warranty work is now approved and to drop it back off to get fixed. Hopefully Jeep is not making the dealer eat the repairs, but this whole paint warranty process needs to get figured out and not dumped on the customer. Hopefully it gets repaired properly and looks good when I get it back. I will give follow ups on the repairs. This has been a terrible experience for me and the first time I ever had to hire a lawyer. Sucks, but glad it is moving in the right direction now.
So 5 weeks after getting a lawyer and was told by the dealer that the repair was approved and to drop the Jeep off at the dealer again, no work was been done so far. Just talked to the auto body shop and the dealer service manager and was told that even though it was approved no payment has been made by Jeep to the dealer to cover the cost. I tried to call Jeep customer care and was told since it is a legal matter they could not talk to me about it and only the legal department could. They had no contact info for that department and could not transfer me to anyone. They just gave me an email address [email protected] to email. I am in my 4th month without my truck this year because of this paint issue. This has been one the most miserable experiences I have been through. I have had to hire a lawyer and borrow cars from friends and family for over 4 months this year to get to work and take of my kids while Jeep is playing games to not cover a manufacturing defect even after I had to hiring a lawyer just to get it approved. Not sure why everyone else are getting theirs fixed without issues and I am getting dragged through the mud by Jeep. Any ideas why? Is it just because the repair cost is $7k and worse then others? That is not my fault. This whole process is has been one step forward and three steps back. Almost seems like they gear it that way to wear you down.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
Hi all,

I’m fairly new to the forum and very late to see this thread. It’s got me in panic mode. I haven’t read back through 153 pages but did read the last 5 or 6. Does anyone know if there have been any design changes to prevent this problem for the 2023 models? As a boat owner in a salty marine environment, I am all too familiar with corrosion problems with dissimilar metals. I just ordered a $94K fully loaded 392 Xtreme Recon. That’s just way too much money to buy into this corrosion headache. I’m ready to call the dealer and cancel if nothing is changed for 2023.
No one has presented any conclusive evidence that anything has changed. Sorry. I'm also waiting on a 2023, albeit one that cost less than half what yours did. But still. Having said that, I was just up in Martha's VIneyard, where you can find multiple examples of just about every model of the latest Jeeps from the past two or three years (though mostly Rubicons and 392s). I made a point to check hinges and doors on every one that was parked while I was walking on the street. I didn't spot a single example of corrosion in the probably couple hundred JLs I saw. So, I'm wondering if the self-reporting we are seeing is just self selecting and the percentage of effected Jeeps is small? A guy can dream.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
So 5 weeks after getting a lawyer and was told by the dealer that the repair was approved and to drop the Jeep off at the dealer again, no work was been done so far. Just talked to the auto body shop and the dealer service manager and was told that even though it was approved no payment has been made by Jeep to the dealer to cover the cost. I tried to call Jeep customer care and was told since it is a legal matter they could not talk to me about it and only the legal department could. They had no contact info for that department and could not transfer me to anyone. They just gave me an email address [email protected] to email. I am in my 4th month without my truck this year because of this paint issue. This has been one the most miserable experiences I have been through. I have had to hire a lawyer and borrow cars from friends and family for over 4 months this year to get to work and take of my kids while Jeep is playing games to not cover a manufacturing defect even after I had to hiring a lawyer just to get it approved. Not sure why everyone else are getting theirs fixed without issues and I am getting dragged through the mud by Jeep. Any ideas why? Is it just because the repair cost is $7k and worse then others? That is not my fault. This whole process is has been one step forward and three steps back. Almost seems like they gear it that way to wear you down.
If you have everything documented, lemon law the vehicle and make them take it back. By the way, I did this with one Rubicon in 2009, and it didn't cost me a dime. The agency is located in your state if I recall correctly.

dpsanborn

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler S Unlimted JL
I am looking into that now and will talk to my lawyer about it. Seems like that is the correct path if they really do not want to cover the warranty. They keep playing the hurry up and wait game so they call you and tell you everything is all set and to drop it off and then weeks later you find out noting is done and no one knows the status of it. It is like they are just buying time or something, but in the background I am left without my car and my life is turned upside down. I am in the process of buying a used BMW X5 and will just have to keep making car payment on the Jeep until I get it back and can sell it. I was so happy and proud in 2018 when I bought that Jeep and there is nothing more that I regret today. One of the bigger mistakes I have made in my life.
Sponsored