Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Is the Bedliner available in various colors? If so, I may do that to mine soon after I receive it.
I got them done at LineX. They can colour match.
I will say that putting them back on and realigning wasn't too bad but because I got both sides of the hinge done it took some patience. The nice thing is you can use the FCA paint job to see where they go. There is no paint. Lol.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20220603_172721 (1)
Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I put my quote in at my local Jeep dealer in Mystic CT a few weeks ago. They never called me back to give me an update on if the claim was approved. After calling them back 3 days in a row several weeks later they gave me the answer. The claim was approved to do the work but the dealer refuses to do the work if I didnā€™t buy that vehicle through them. They told me to try somewhere elseā€¦ I bought the vehicle out of state so Iā€™m afraid all of the local dealers will give me the same answer and refuse to do the work until Iā€™m out of warranty. @JeepCares can you help me? How is the dealer able to refuse to fix an issue that is covered under warranty!?.
Take it to a dealer that doesn't have a body shop with the claim approval. They'll farm it out to their contract shop and it will get done. Don't know why the dealer refuses to do it since Jeep is paying for it, not the dealer.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up my jeep yesterday and I would have been much better off taking to a shop and paying to have it fixed. Its not that the shop did a bad job, Jeep just decided to approve paint for this area and not others. For example, they replaced the entire hood but not the hinges. I have a freshly painted hood and the hinges look way off. They replaced some of the hinges, for example of one an upper hinge that was replaced but not the lower. This jeep will never ever go back to Jeep for warranty work. Its not worth the time and hassle. Jeep's customer service is below subpar.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20220720_185101

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Picked up my jeep yesterday and I would have been much better off taking to a shop and paying to have it fixed. Its not that the shop did a bad job, Jeep just decided to approve paint for this area and not others. For example, they replaced the entire hood but not the hinges. I have a freshly painted hood and the hinges look way off. They replaced some of the hinges, for example of one an upper hinge that was replaced but not the lower. This jeep will never ever go back to Jeep for warranty work. Its not worth the time and hassle. Jeep's customer service is below subpar.
I hate to say it but this makes me think powder coating all my hinges black is the way to go. Did that on my TJ. Wasnā€™t going for the look on the JLU but Jeep may be forcing my handā€¦. My sympathies for you having to deal with this. I donā€™t think Iā€™m but a couple weeks behind you.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to say it but this makes me think powder coating all my hinges black is the way to go. Did that on my TJ. Wasnā€™t going for the look on the JLU but Jeep may be forcing my handā€¦. My sympathies for you having to deal with this. I donā€™t think Iā€™m but a couple weeks behind you.
Ya I will probably go that route or line-x. I might even have the entire jeep coated in line-x.

Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I got them done at LineX. They can colour match.
I will say that putting them back on and realigning wasn't too bad but because I got both sides of the hinge done it took some patience. The nice thing is you can use the FCA paint job to see where they go. There is no paint. Lol.
That is perfect, I love it! Will definitely do this to my incoming 392.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Ya I will probably go that route or line-x. I might even have the entire jeep coated in line-x.
Definitely to this, everything will match and it will break the connection between the steel hinge and aluminum door in that surface area.

dpsanborn

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler S Unlimted JL
After dropping it off twice at the dealer and hiring a lawyer, my Jeep has sat at the auto body shop for a total of 15 weeks this year since since February and absolutely no work was done. First was approved for $1500 by Jeep and this second attempt was just rejected as you can see from my dealer receipt. As far as I know I have the worst case of the bubbling on my Jeep out of everyone on this forum. Not sure why some people get theirs fixed with nonissues and some are dragged through the mud like me. My advice is stay away from these Jeeps. My experience has been painful and turns out they do not cover their warranties if they cost them to much $$ to resolve. So they just sell broken promises. My only choice now is to continue the suit and go deeper down the legal rabbit hole or just sell it and take my hit for the paint manufacturing defect and let someone else deal with it. At least it will be out of my life at that point and I can move on without going for months without my car for no reason.

A64C4EDD-62F7-43B7-A7D9-8BDD5B2B86F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Tfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Corrosion with dissimilar metals is a common concern on sailboat masts, but is easily addressed. Stainless steel screws and rivets are frequently used to attach equipment to the mast. This is always done by isolating the 2 metals from each other. When a steel machine screw needs to thread into an aluminum mast, a product called Tef Gel is used. It is a paste that is brushed completely onto the steel threads and into the threaded hole before screwing into the aluminum. This isolates the two metals from each other by not allowing electrolytes between the 2 surfaces, preventing the galvanic cell from forming and thereby preventing corrosion. My sailboat has multiple steel screws and rivets in its painted aluminum mast with zero corrosion after 20 years of salt spray from ocean sailing. Tef Gel is sold at West Marine and on Amazon. It is important to note that an unpainted area of aluminum adjacent to a painted area (like under the door hinge) will be almost guaranteed to start the corrosion process at the edge of the paint and work its way under the paint. Aluminum should never be left just partially painted.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges shoppi

Last edited:

krupa33

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sahara
After dropping it off twice at the dealer and hiring a lawyer, my Jeep has sat at the auto body shop for a total of 15 weeks this year since since February and absolutely no work was done. First was approved for $1500 by Jeep and this second attempt was just rejected as you can see from my dealer receipt. As far as I know I have the worst case of the bubbling on my Jeep out of everyone on this forum. Not sure why some people get theirs fixed with nonissues and some are dragged through the mud like me. My advice is stay away from these Jeeps. My experience has been painful and turns out they do not cover their warranties if they cost them to much $$ to resolve. So they just sell broken promises. My only choice now is to continue the suit and go deeper down the legal rabbit hole or just sell it and take my hit for the paint manufacturing defect and let someone else deal with it. At least it will be out of my life at that point and I can move on without going for months without my car for no reason.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges shoppi
Holy hell man...that looks like a straight up nightmare. I really hope you get it resolved and the lawyer comes through. Why is FCA not addressing this? Im so ready to just sell mine right back to the dealer and because i absolutley cant afford and dont want to deal with this petty BS just from f*cking PAINT. What an absolute failure on their end.

Sponsored

jandersendo

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
This is disheartening. My brand new 392 XR is a ticking time bomb for corrosion and thereā€™s nothing I can do.

Except enjoy the ponies šŸ˜ƒ

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
The hinges are aluminum, not steel. I also didn't get the backside of them LineX'd.
Something was changed then because my hinges on 2019 Rubicon are steel. Aluminum hinges to aluminum door skin should not cause an interaction. Possibly this is just very bad metal prep on yours?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Something was changed then because my hinges on 2019 Rubicon are steel. Aluminum hinges to aluminum door skin should not cause an interaction. Possibly this is just very bad metal prep on yours?
Your hinges should be aluminum. Take any magnet and touch to confirm. The torx screws and body frame are steel. The hinges and panels are aluminum.

What is missing separate from the hinges are ā€œareas away from the hingesā€.

This is where we are noticing ā€œnew paint bubbling galvanic corrosionā€. Gaskets and Line-X and the like will have little impact at door panel edges and hood panel edges. Line-Xing the entire skin should hide the corrosion however.

Like others - we have no inclination to ever buy another JL or JT or other FCA product that has this inherent problem. These vehicles are simply ticking time bombs for corrosion. 10 out 10 used JLs on dealers lots with paint bubbling as someone posted - is a pretty good indicator of what will eventually happen. 20+ FCA vehicle models listed in the Corrosion TSB is verification. The problem looks to be extremely widespread and a production assembly line issue not going away anytime soon.

Like others - we were perfectly happy until this suddenly appeared. It is no joke. One day nothing. Next day WTF!

It is at a point now that I am afraid to look for paint bubbling. For fear I will find more. IMO this is ridiculous and something all will probably have to address. My recommendation - buy something else to avoid this headache. Many reports in this thread of 3 or 4 times approved and covered under the corrosion warranty. This will be number 3 for us next time we go in to our dealer.

If not covered because FCA is getting tight - will probably sand and repaint ourselves. Black fortunately is super easy to match. So far FCA has paid out $15K to 2 different body shops to epoxy coat and repaint. No paint bubbling has re-appeared in the repaint areas.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I thought maybe the body side part is steel but I just went and confirmed, both sides of hinge are aluminum. The JK hinges were also aluminum (I'm pretty sure I was the first one in 2007/08 to sandblast and bedline them for same chipping reason)
Take a magnet to yours, you'll be surprised, they're definitely not steel.

Personally. I am not even convinced it's a metal mismatch corrosion issue. I think because they paint the doors with the hinges on, small stress fractures occur and let water get in past the paint and we see the issues. Also explains why it doesn't happen to most JLs. So, hopefully by yanking them and having them LineX'd, I have put that problem to bed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20220601_154836
Sponsored