Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Heard back from the dealership's bodyshop that they will be replacing my 4 doors, hood, tailgate and all related hinges. Stripped down a couple of the doors and came to a conclusion that they are not worth repairing. I just hope the paint matches and that I don't get the issues again which most likely I will as I don't think they use a new process at the plants. Oh well. Good enough for the next couple years I guess.
Sponsored

dtown1974

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Heard back from the dealership's bodyshop that they will be replacing my 4 doors, hood, tailgate and all related hinges. Stripped down a couple of the doors and came to a conclusion that they are not worth repairing. I just hope the paint matches and that I don't get the issues again which most likely I will as I don't think they use a new process at the plants. Oh well. Good enough for the next couple years I guess.
If they are replacing the doors/hinges, I guess they will come assembled together and painted like the normal factory process with no paint at the surfaces where the hinges and doors meet, so the bubbling issue will repeat down the road. Or check what the body shop's plan is if different. Maybe they will separate them and paint behind the hinges, but I doubt it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thoughts on acceptability of this job? I haven’t picked it up yet drove by after dealer was closed and I have their loaner. I am NOT HAPPY! I will be talking to them in morning and @JeepCares case manager.

why would they not just paint entire doors??

Also the makings for the T-50 are not crisp anymore- paint was loaded on and started filling them in.

586E658A-C8F7-4E45-9F40-50A38DD9B77F.jpeg

0811924F-22E7-4BE8-AC22-5B368424FAD2.jpeg
Hi there. We do recommend that before pick up you speak directly with a dealer tech to let them know your dissatisfaction. If you need additional assistance, feel free to send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If they are replacing the doors/hinges, I guess they will come assembled together and painted like the normal factory process with no paint at the surfaces where the hinges and doors meet, so the bubbling issue will repeat down the road. Or check what the body shop's plan is if different. Maybe they will separate them and paint behind the hinges, but I doubt it.
Exactly what I was thinking. The parts arrive from different places at different times so when the service manager calls me back I will have more questions for him.

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
It is unfortunate to see this recurring issue while Jeep is making great profits on these vehicles.

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Has anybody seen any Gladiators with this issue? Mine has been fine for the last 5 months. This issue was spreading fast on my JL. I am also part of the JT forum, but it's pretty dead over there and nobody has reported this issue.

I wonder if they are painted separate and somehow avoiding contamination. Maybe even updated the paint process on Gladiators. It was a huge issue with my 18' JL and that Wrangler had numerous issues with warranty claims. Clutch issues, Paint issues, hood insulator tore on its own, and some other issues I didnt get a chance to report.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
I see alot of bubbling on my door hinges and around it right now. Should I expect this to happen on my hood and tailgate hinges as well?

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I see alot of bubbling on my door hinges and around it right now. Should I expect this to happen on my hood and tailgate hinges as well?
My only unaffected body panel was the hood (so far)

Sponsored

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Looking for advise on what to do.

2018 Jeep JL black

Is there anything I can do about the paint difference?????

I had ( and still have) the corrosion on the doors and hinges. I had both rear doors repainted and the color is way off under lighting. The rest of the Jeep looks almost brown and the painted doors look dark purple. I get it’s new paint but I don’t want to get the other doors and hood repainted and the Jeep look patchy on a sunny day. (Don’t mind the dirt it rained and my tires throw up some dirt)

Over all, Is there anything I can do to get Jeep to fix it all? Or am I just stuck with a 40K patchy vehicle?

P.S even the new painted door have corrosion.

(Pictures we’re took at night to showcase the color difference that can be see on a sunny day)

@JeepCares
C2532A12-A926-4D31-8313-7C08E6FBBD70.jpeg
1C3C3587-202A-4060-8103-75E51CB5BDA1.jpeg
F571CCD2-7C95-4825-97BF-A6C6255DFEE0.jpeg
3FC6FEFD-7BF5-44BC-BE02-5EB42EAF98EC.jpeg
Thats othetic being it back tel them to havw a guy that isnt color blind to match ur paint!

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Plate is Aluminum and nuts are steel.
With ALL us Jeep enthusiasts-. Owners why cant we get Jeep to donthe right thing And fix the issue not put a bandaid on it which we will all be dealing with rust down the road?
My paint guy said that what he has been doing for Cornerstone Jeep -Elk River MN - in fixing the bubbling issues- this will- last and no more corrosion
. Thoughts? Oh it took Jeep Cares and me calling for 2 months to get my jeep in btw!!!!

JLYaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
According to the body shop that “fixed” my bubbled paint the problem is caused by the unpainted door against the unpainted door hung which is a potted material. The hinge is leaching something out that is causing the paint to bubble. The metal itself is intact. He recommended a gasket between the hinge and door to at least keep the paint from bubbling on the door and hood. So, I had a buddy make some on a 3D printer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 7627CC63-9F37-48F5-A075-497597D245B8
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges DFA479E4-440F-4AB3-BEB9-A6ACB10C0F56
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges B0359F18-5462-4061-9386-57A46404E799

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
According to the body shop that “fixed” my bubbled paint the problem is caused by the unpainted door against the unpainted door hung which is a potted material. The hinge is leaching something out that is causing the paint to bubble. The metal itself is intact. He recommended a gasket between the hinge and door to at least keep the paint from bubbling on the door and hood. So, I had a buddy make some on a 3D printer.
I would recommend Proseal, put the hinge on wet and torque down
 I am debating on ordering new hinges to have powder coated and doing this, probably overkill.

PS 870

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Have you had corrosion on the tub?
Sorry should’ve been more clear I meant bolted body panels - no corrosion on tub at all.
Sponsored