Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I'm waiting for a spot to open at my dealers body shop but need my tailgate and front right door hinges repainted. Anyone with sting gray have their repainted yet? I'm extremely worried about the paint not matching.
Sponsored

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares, right before I shipped my Jeep from Hawaii I noticed some bubbling on my passenger side on the lower portion of the one of the doors. Now that I’m in El Paso, Texas will the dealerships touch my Jeep or because it’s a Jeep from a Hawaiian dealership they won’t even look at it? I can update with a picture when I hopefully pick it up this coming week from Dallas, Tx.

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
And now my hood is bubbling... :mad::angry:
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20210904_102657

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I'm waiting for a spot to open at my dealers body shop but need my tailgate and front right door hinges repainted. Anyone with sting gray have their repainted yet? I'm extremely worried about the paint not matching.
I've seen a 2019 SG with all door hinges repainted and it looked great. Color match was very good....couldn't tell it was retouched.
All depends on who is doing the work though.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
How many 2021s are having this issue?
Jeep better have this fixed for 2022. If i order a 2022 and it starts doing this I'll lose my mind.

Imagine the 392 folks paying $80k for a F-ing Jeep and the paint starts bubbling everywhere.

Hell all Jeeps are expensive for what you actually get. Some of the non Rubicon models coming close to $40k is insane.

Nobody should pay a massive premium for a a Jeep and then have to deal with this!!

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Jeep better have this fixed for 2022. If i order a 2022 and it starts doing this I'll lose my mind.

Imagine the 392 folks paying $80k for a F-ing Jeep and the paint starts bubbling everywhere.

Hell all Jeeps are expensive for what you actually get. Some of the non Rubicon models coming close to $40k is insane.

Nobody should pay a massive premium for a a Jeep and then have to deal with this!!
There has been no indication Jeep has or will fix this at the factory level. Know that going in and deal with it if it comes. It's all about expectations and at least you won't be blindsided if it happens to you. Simple as that.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Taking my 19 JLUR to the dealership soon. Paint has faded to a different color on the hood. Both the hood and the doors have bubbles and the doors have some paint fade as well.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Taking my 19 JLUR to the dealership soon. Paint has faded to a different color on the hood. Both the hood and the doors have bubbles and the doors have some paint fade as well.
If it’s faded on the hood it was likely repainted before delivery….this typically doesn’t happen to factory paint as everything is painted at the same time with same paint.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA

They’re painting them in the same way as they were in 2018. No changes. I’d expect this to happen to yours. I realized this issue was a thing after I ordered mine, otherwise I would’ve ordered something else or kept my rebel. I instead decided to take my preventative measures and hope nothing happens to mine

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares, right before I shipped my Jeep from Hawaii I noticed some bubbling on my passenger side on the lower portion of the one of the doors. Now that I’m in El Paso, Texas will the dealerships touch my Jeep or because it’s a Jeep from a Hawaiian dealership they won’t even look at it? I can update with a picture when I hopefully pick it up this coming week from Dallas, Tx.
Any certified Jeep dealership will be able to assist you with your concerns, shadowmoto17. If you run into any issues, feel free to reach out to us in private message and we can provide extra support as needed.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Couple of photos of what I am seeing on my jeep. What you cant see is that the paint is also fading around the door hinges in areas and also around the window area. I have never had any paint work done so wondering if they fixed it at the dealership before I purchased it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20210906_151150
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20210906_151230
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20210906_151259

GetOffRoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler, Porsche Macan, Porsche Boxer
#CorrosionItsAJeepThing

New to posting here. I've been reading these threads closely. I've got a 2018 JL. It has been in the shop 3 times now.

I got it back yesterday. And well, it is going to have to go back again because of more bubbles! MORE!!!!

I've got to say with the number of issues here and a TSB I found on the NHSTA I am highly disappointed in Jeep.

I want bubbles in my Champagne not my Jeep.

BTW - my dealership has been awesome...but my contact with @JeepCares, truly could not care less.

Looking at the Defender now. (I know, I know, it's a Range Rover and quality - but well, I sure the heck didn't get quality here!) Also considering the Lexus GX or the Toyota Land Cruiser. Anything but Jeep.

Last edited:

GetOffRoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler, Porsche Macan, Porsche Boxer
That's my color. And it's been in the shop 3 times already. Will have to go back in for a 4th time. The body shop did a fantastic job on paint match though - so no issues at the dealership - just issues with...Jeep Manufacturing.

Crownline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
There has been no indication Jeep has or will fix this at the factory level. Know that going in and deal with it if it comes. It's all about expectations and at least you won't be blindsided if it happens to you. Simple as that.
But that's the problem!!! I don't buy a couch knowing in a year, the leather is going to be worn and peeling. This NEEDS to be fixed at the factory level. Before buying a Jeep, I had no idea this was an issue. FIrst inclination I had was when the guy tinting my Jeep told me his mother had her Jeep a few years and got tired of dealing with the hinges and paint peeling (she had them fixed a few times). I thought to myself, "Oh, that won't happen to mine." Yep, here I am 1.5 years later dealing with the SAME issues.

There needs to be more media coverage and action to get Jeep to change something at the factory level!!!!!
Sponsored