Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
My tailgate hinges are worse than any of the doors. Like you I worry about when warranty is up & it makes me want to unload it too. Did bubbles ever reappear in areas they fixed or just new locations?
So far in just the new spots but Ive only had it a few months since being fixed the second time.. the body shop assures me it was taken care of properly this time. I guess time will tell
Sponsored

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
I have a 2019 silver - took it in couple of days ago and made an appt to fix all four doors and hinges.

One issue raised - guy told me they will do their best to match the paint but it won’t be perfect since they will not be blending it - apparently the ‘blend’ effort is not covered by the corrosion warranty.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
I have a 2019 silver - took it in couple of days ago and made an appt to fix all four doors and hinges.

One issue raised - guy told me they will do their best to match the paint but it won’t be perfect since they will not be blending it - apparently the ‘blend’ effort is not covered by the corrosion warranty.
This is what scares me. Without the blending, I'm not sure I would prefer having the teeny tiny corrosion bubble removed if it means my paint won't match up.

In a more general sense, iss there any real reason to get this addressed? Am I thinking about this wrong when I look at these small corrosion spots and think that I'll be dead before it was a mechanical issue?

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
This is what scares me. Without the blending, I'm not sure I would prefer having the teeny tiny corrosion bubble removed if it means my paint won't match up.

In a more general sense, iss there any real reason to get this addressed? Am I thinking about this wrong when I look at these small corrosion spots and think that I'll be dead before it was a mechanical issue?
It won’t actually cause structural issues or anything, aluminum corrosion isn’t like rust, where rust will eventually perforate while corrosion won’t do that. It’ll just expand and your whole door will be a bubbly, flakey mess, but it will function just fine

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It won’t actually cause structural issues or anything, aluminum corrosion isn’t like rust, where rust will eventually perforate while corrosion won’t do that. It’ll just expand and your whole door will be a bubbly, flakey mess, but it will function just fine
Thanks for that info, that helps. With how bad my dealer is, I might wait until it's a bit closer to the 5 year mark to even give the vehicle back to them. They would probably keep it over a month.

Are dealers required to give you a loaner during this? Does having Max Care help that?

Sponsored

KrazyKanuck

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Thanks for that info, that helps. With how bad my dealer is, I might wait until it's a bit closer to the 5 year mark to even give the vehicle back to them. They would probably keep it over a month.

Are dealers required to give you a loaner during this? Does having Max Care help that?
I just brought my '19 JLU in for this service. Every hinge has a bunch of corrosion as well as the top of the windshield.
The dealer provided me with a rental for the duration of the repairs.

I have owned a lot of vehicles and this is the first one that has had any corrosion at all, and only after about 2 years! Sheesh!

#JeepProblems

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
It would be real interesting to be a fly on the wall at some of Jeep/Stellantis engineering/quality/warranty meetings to hear how they discuss this absolute failure. Hearing how they are making a decision to do nothing to eliminate the problem from the factory. Purely a number$ game I'm sure - cheaper to repair a fraction of jeeps where customers actually complain and expect high quality vs. fixing it right in the design (or issuing a recall) for the masses. Rant over.

Mine finally goes back in on the 25th for repairs (first time) on all 10 hinges - 4 doors and tailgate.

smilened

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Saraha Mojito
Hello everyone, I just got a call from my dealer and they said they will not even make a claim because I am over my 36k miles on my 2019 JLU. People that are waiting to make the claim just keep this in mind. I have to go settle down right now and will start the process myself a little later. This is the dealer I bought the jeep from and have all the service done. How's that for support.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello everyone, I just got a call from my dealer and they said they will not even make a claim because I am over my 36k miles on my 2019 JLU. People that are waiting to make the claim just keep this in mind. I have to go settle down right now and will start the process myself a little later. This is the dealer I bought the jeep from and have all the service done. How's that for support.
You could always print out the portion of the warranty that states the paint/corrosion for exposed panels is 5 years.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I thought I didn't have this issue until this spring when sure enough, the paint on all of my door hinges started bubbling. Not sure where everyone else lives but we get a lot of road salt here in NEOhio. I'm not driving much because of COVID but apparently have gotten enough exposure to cause this issue.

I'm about to book my (second) clutch recall appointment and get the oil changed and tires rotated and figured I'd tell them about the door hinge corrosion and my squeaky/grinding clutch pedal while it's in for service.

Definitely not impressed with the quality of my Wrangler but I still enjoy it so I guess that's why Jeep still has these kinds of issues.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
A2E3D120-D325-43AD-AA89-1F4C058FB382.jpeg

welp I spotted this today in my 2021 JLR.
First paint bubble or a small factory imperfection? Or is it too early to tell?
If it’s a factory imperfection I don’t give a shit honestly I’m just scared it’s corrosion

I appreciate any feedback,
Thanks!
Imperfection
no need to worry
yet.

smilened

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Saraha Mojito
You could always print out the portion of the warranty that states the paint/corrosion for exposed panels is 5 years.
I am being told since there is not a hole in the door, the corrosion warranty does not cover it. I am off to see another dealer and see if they will help out.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am being told since there is not a hole in the door, the corrosion warranty does not cover it. I am off to see another dealer and see if they will help out.
Thanks for the reply. My dealer attempts to deny warranty for everything they can, and I suspect I'll get the same treatment. Any time I point them to threads such as this, they just claim to not care about these forums, other dealers, or any other owner experience.

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mines going in September 7th. All hinges, doors, tailgate and hood are going in to be repainted. If the metal has corroded too much or not worth repainting, they might get replaced. Fingers crossed.

JLYaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I've seen multiple theories but does anyone, especially FCA, know or acknowledge what's the cause of this corrosion? My 2018 Rubicon has been at the dealer since June 25th. I went to pick it up after 3 weeks and found 5 spots that the body ship missed. It has been there ever since. The update today is that it will be ready next week and that they found "a TON of corrosion" on my Jeep. If they are just sanding off the paint and corroded areas and repainting it it's just a band aid and it will come back. I was going to pay the Jeep off and give it to my son when he turns 16 but it sounds like this is a vehicle that I need to sell right before the corrosion warranty expires.
Sponsored