Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Good luck all with your repairs! It never seems ends with mine! This will be the 3rd paint corrosion issue requiring yet another trip to the dealer and a few weeks in a loaner. This time it's starting on my tailgate. When will the hood go? What will it do when I'm out of the corrosion warranty? I'm almost just done with it.. getting pretty old..
Has the area been repainted before or is that factory? You can see where it wasnā€™t completely covered when it was painted, painted with the hinges on and can see primer around the edges of the hinge. Not very good coverage with base coat or clear... What I am afraid of with my new Jeep, is eventual corrosion because of the poor quality (and/or steel bolts going through aluminum). On just about every hinge, I can see a bit of primer and look real close, raw aluminum. Didnā€™t notice it first, but sure do after I waxed it and now canā€™t unsee it.

I had the dealer look at my Jeep and waiting to hear back. At the very least itā€™s documented...

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 19CFBE9E-F5A6-412A-8788-5E200E8F0E12

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 35812EBD-73CE-461A-94AE-AD228FBBBB93

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 8B9DF273-BD81-4807-8836-63F6BA8E84CB

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges F0CDD736-74FB-4A7F-B545-9DC8D953AD40

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges A7A5B0E0-6EEB-4E9A-83A0-19DE54968503
Sponsored

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Has the area been repainted before or is that factory? You can see where it wasnā€™t completely covered when it was painted, painted with the hinges on and can see primer around the edges of the hinge. Not very good coverage with base coat or clear... What I am afraid of with my new Jeep, is eventual corrosion because of the poor quality (and/or steel bolts going through aluminum). On just about every hinge, I can see a bit of primer and look real close, raw aluminum. Didnā€™t notice it first, but sure do after I waxed it and now canā€™t unsee it.

I had the dealer look at my Jeep and waiting to hear back. At the very least itā€™s documented...

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges A7A5B0E0-6EEB-4E9A-83A0-19DE54968503

The tailgate is factory paint. Before my hinges and doors where re done they looked the same as yours. I noticed the poor coverage like you state on my first wax with it. My hood looks the same as well..

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck all with your repairs! It never seems ends with mine! This will be the 3rd paint corrosion issue requiring yet another trip to the dealer and a few weeks in a loaner. This time it's starting on my tailgate. When will the hood go? What will it do when I'm out of the corrosion warranty? I'm almost just done with it.. getting pretty old..

My tailgate hinges are worse than any of the doors. Like you I worry about when warranty is up & it makes me want to unload it too. Did bubbles ever reappear in areas they fixed or just new locations?

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2003 Expedition, 2003 C230 kompressor
Occupation
Making Trash
I do not recall if this has been askedā€¦. But here goesā€¦

Does the bubbles/corrosion seem to impact certain colors more than other colors? Just curious.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I have a question that may or may have been answered in this thread. The doors are aluminum, how are they rusting?

Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
I have a question that may or may have been answered in this thread. The doors are aluminum, how are they rusting?
itā€™s corrosion from dissimilar metals being in contact with each other. Aluminum doors with steel screws and hinges. You need to isolate the two metals in order to avoid this galvanic corrosion and apparently Jeep doesnā€™t understand how to do this yet.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I just finished filling out a quality survey from Jeep. I went pretty hard on them about the paint issues. I don't have bubbling/corrosion yet but every time I wash my Jeep, I seem to find yet another place where the paint quality is subpar. This last time I noticed the area under the hinges on the rear gate are really thin; I can see the bare aluminum through the clearcoat. I have an very small area on the passenger rear quarter panel with bubbles. The bottom of my door hinges look like they might be on their way to bubbling at less than 15,000 miles. I could overlook one or two of these things but they're starting to pile up fast. The survey asked if I'd like someone from Jeep to contact me. I will point them to this thread if someone actually does.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges A2E3D120-D325-43AD-AA89-1F4C058FB382

welp I spotted this today in my 2021 JLR.
First paint bubble or a small factory imperfection? Or is it too early to tell?
If itā€™s a factory imperfection I donā€™t give a shit honestly Iā€™m just scared itā€™s corrosion

I appreciate any feedback,
Thanks!

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges A2E3D120-D325-43AD-AA89-1F4C058FB382

If itā€™s a factory imperfection I donā€™t give a shit honestly Iā€™m just scared itā€™s corrosion

Thanks!
Top right looks like its bubbling above the hinge!

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
itā€™s corrosion from dissimilar metals being in contact with each other. Aluminum doors with steel screws and hinges. You need to isolate the two metals in order to avoid this galvanic corrosion and apparently Jeep doesnā€™t understand how to do this yet.
Is there a TSB on this problem? It seems to be pretty common and a known defect.

Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit

Thanks!
Nice close-up. Looks like an imperfection in the hinge, that got painted over. At the upper right edge of the hinge the door does seem to be starting, though.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Nice close-up. Looks like an imperfection in the hinge, that got painted over. At the upper right edge of the hinge the door does seem to be starting, though.
Hopefully youā€™re right and itā€™s just an imperfection. Thatā€™s really what Iā€™m hoping for. Iā€™ll post an update if it gets any worse.

i double checked that upper right side and it was all clear might just have been dirt as the Jeep needs a wash or I had a dirty camera lense. Thanks!

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA

Thanks!
What you circular is def just a paint imperfection, I wouldnā€™t have it touched unless you notice paint bubbling in time.

I removed all my hinges one by one. I had all hinges powder coated black, and sprayed fluid film on the bare metal on the doors as well as the steel bolts.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
Does anyone have the latest copy of this TSB? The latest I could find was 2019 stamped.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I decided to go to the Chrysler dealer today to see what they had to say. On closer inspection, I found that 7 of my 8 door hinges had some level of blistering under the paint, either on the hinge itself or on the raised flange of the door panel. The tech at the dealer took photos of each area, and said that I was the third 2018 Jeep today with corrosion. He showed me the dozens of photos on his phone. His next step is to file a claim with Chrysler.

What shame! Iā€™ve babied this Wrangler since new. Iā€™ve coated the underside with Fluid Film precisely to protect it our notorious road salt. I donā€™t off-road, keep it garaged, and hand wash frequently.

Iā€™ve got a feeling this is a huge problem across all JLs and JKs. Iā€™m going to look more closely at the next ā€œjeep-upā€ event.
Sponsored