Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
they did not rectify anything. it doesnt happen to everyone, or at least as quickly as others, so you might get luckier with this one.
Pretty sad that it still happening and no fix.
Would it not be cheaper for then to fix it at the factory then painting all the car all over again?
Sponsored

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Anyone know how long from it being documented until they heard back to get the report done?

My dealer took pictures but still waiting to hear what I can bring it in
I took the Jeep to the dealer on 6/28 for documentation. I asked for the service manager to email me a copy of the report that would be sent to Chrysler for my records. I have not heard anything yet. I will follow up this morning with the service advisor that took the pictures.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Pretty sad that it still happening and no fix.
Would it not be cheaper for then to fix it at the factory then painting all the car all over again?
No…they would fix it if warranty claims exceeded the cost of a manufacturing solution. It’s all about $$$…a few people complaining on a forum is not important to Stellantis.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
No…they would fix it if warranty claims exceeded the cost of a manufacturing solution. It’s all about $$$…a few people complaining on a forum is not important to Stellantis.
This!
I deal with just about every OEM out there and do warranty work for most of them. GM had an issue with delimitation on their darker color vehicles for years…..the new exactly what caused if but it cost less to repaint the vehicles than it did to fix the issues.

Jeep is doing the same thing, they roll the dice

1/2 the people don’t notice it or don’t care
They only cover it for the original owner
If there is any non related damage on the panels they either deny it or up sell the additional repairs which ends up covering their cost on the claim

The issue isn’t the hinges it’s the metal plate behind the door skin the hinge bolts thread into.Water gets in there and becomes an electrolyte and the process starts.

spenat

First Name
nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sting grey JLUR
Clubs

I took the Jeep to the dealer on 6/28 for documentation. I asked for the service manager to email me a copy of the report that would be sent to Chrysler for my records. I have not heard anything yet. I will follow up this morning with the service advisor that took the pictures.

I brought mine in on 6/22 and still no word yet either.

Im also going to call today

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I brought mine in on 6/22 and still no word yet either.

Im also going to call today
i see you have a 2019, how long did you have your jeep until you noticed the bubbling?

spenat

First Name
nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sting grey JLUR
Clubs

i see you have a 2019, how long did you have your jeep until you noticed the bubbling?
about 6-7 months ago, so about 18 months after purchase. initially just one hinge. now every door including tailgate. the hood looks like it is about to start flaking

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I have an 18 JLU Sahara and the rear passenger top hinge is bubbling now. It's at the dealer and waiting to hear back from them.

702Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner
I am going through the buy back process for 2nd time right now. Yes 2nd with JL. Electrical stuff is why with 2019 but has bubbling around hinges too. Just order 2021 and asked corporate guy if have figured something out on hinges and paint issues. He said not doing anything, there are no paint issues. So I guess everyone on here is dreaming or something. Sad. Until people start leaving won’t do anything I guess. Sad
You've had two Jeeps bought back, yet you're ordering a third? Is that correct or did I misunderstand your post?

702Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner
Research rust and/or corrosion on the current Ford truck forums. They are having some serious challenges. Wonder how many will leave Wrangler only to have similar issues with Bronco?
Per your suggestion, I used Google to do a site search for "corrosion" on the ford-trucks.com forums. I'm not really seeing much.

Focusing on their best-seller, the F-150 went all-aluminum in 2015, with the SD's following in 2017. Before that, the hoods on the F-150 had been aluminum since 1997.

Ford sells 100K's of F-series trucks each year. So if there were a widespread problem there would be plenty of threads with people shrieking about corrosion. Not to mention, Chevy would be broadcasting it to the world, LOL. ( Remember this? )

There is nothing revolutionary about using aluminum for vehicle bodies. And in particular, for the bodies of vehicles subject to hard usage:

Peterbilt truck cabs - aluminum since 1945

US Postal Service Long-Life Vehicles - aluminum bodies

Sponsored

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
Per your suggestion, I used Google to do a site search for "corrosion" on the ford-trucks.com forums. I'm not really seeing much.

Focusing on their best-seller, the F-150 went all-aluminum in 2015, with the SD's following in 2017. Before that, the hoods on the F-150 had been aluminum since 1997.

Ford sells 100K's of F-series trucks each year. So if there were a widespread problem there would be plenty of threads with people shrieking about corrosion. Not to mention, Chevy would be broadcasting it to the world, LOL. ( Remember this? )

There is nothing revolutionary about using aluminum for vehicle bodies. And in particular, for the bodies of vehicles subject to hard usage:

Peterbilt truck cabs - aluminum since 1945

US Postal Service Long-Life Vehicles - aluminum bodies
Google Ford F-150 corrosion class action

Last edited:

702Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner
Google Ford F-150 corrosion class acrion
I did. It is "Nelson v. Ford Motor Co." Case number 2:19-cv-02712 in US District Court, the Western District of Tennessee.

Here's a screenshot showing the last two filings. See link for source. "Stipulation of Dismissal" means that it's been settled or the claim was simply withdrawn.

Link to case documents

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges Capture.JPG

702Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner
Wonder how much Ford paid!
The list of case documents doesn't show the judge granted class action status. And he wouldn't if the plaintiff and legal team didn't prove that enough people were affected to merit a class action. My guess is the case was quietly withdrawn and the plaintiff got nothing.

But if you want to order the documents and share them I'll be happy to verify exactly what happened, lol.

"For a class action filed in federal court, the attorneys representing the class members must satisfy several requirements, including establishing that the number of people who could be covered by the class action is large enough that it would be impractical and inefficient to file numerous individual lawsuits. "

About class action lawsuits