Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

318Polara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2dr
Jeep has been in service dept since last week. 1. Navigation failure. There going to replace radio 3 weeks out. 2. Start -Stop system failure. Replaced both batteries. 3. Corrosion around and on hinges. Presented TSB to them said they could not find that TSB. Went to service manager, she told advisor to take photos and submit to warranty. Call from advisor says jeep is off to bodyshop for repair estimate, hopefully this is a good sign.
Already have been through the 2 year fight for new steering gear. I told service manager I was more than willing to go through the whole dance again with FCA. All I can tell you JL owners is, fill out your surveys, let them know how disgusted you are with product. Use Jeep Cares and every phone number you can get your hands on to let them know this is not a "Jeep Thing".
Sponsored

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Checked the JLs in the forsale forums here. Focused mainly on 18/19. Didnt really see any corrosion on the various photos. Sure they could have already been fixed.... no way to say for sure.

Greenegg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Just gonna start out by saying that I do agree that this is a huge problem. Not denying this or anything but My sisters boyfriend has a early build date 2018 JLU and has no corrosion what so ever. Any reason why some donā€™t seem to be affected by this ?
I have a early custom 2018 build and have corrosion everywhere

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I know technically speaking, thereā€™s no reason why every single jeep on the road doesnā€™t have it but Iā€™ve seen a couple of 18/19 JLs with no issues.
give it time

Sponsored

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I have a new 2021 JLR in production right now with Rob over at Tuttle-Click in SoCal. I emailed him about this issue, linking this thread and TSB that someone linked earlier.

His response was that they have corrected the issue on current production. I've asked for details on what that entails. I'll post here when I find out.

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
I have a new 2021 JLR in production right now with Rob over at Tuttle-Click in SoCal. I emailed him about this issue, linking this thread and TSB that someone linked earlier.

His response was that they have corrected the issue on current production. I've asked for details on what that entails. I'll post here when I find out.
I say they are bsing but who knows ask them to take a picture where the door hinges and where the paint is. Remember you donā€™t have to take the vehicle until the paper work is signed before leaving the lot.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA

hes definitely lying to you so that you dont cancel your order, unfortunately

Sponsored

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I emailed the service manager and CCed the sales guy. I'm getting to the bottom of this before I sign anything.

They do have $1000 deposit agreement with my credit card, but if it comes down to it, I have enough a paper trail to win a chargeback.

I was sooooo super excited for my Jeep. Seriously my dream Jeep, so this is quite a hit... my heart goes out to all of you that are going through this with your dream Jeeps. FCA should be ashamed of themselves for this kind of crap, especially with the Bronco at their doorstep. Where is the logic?

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Bronco won't be any better. First year models are always full of issues. Also lots of aluminum in Broncos. Check Ford truck forums. You'll see.....

I am curious, is there anyone who has seen this thread with a 18/19 or similar without the corrosion? When I walk through parking lots going into stores or resturants I rarely see any JLs with corrosion. Sadly that is the first thing I look for on JLs.

I emailed the service manager and CCed the sales guy. I'm getting to the bottom of this before I sign anything.

They do have $1000 deposit agreement with my credit card, but if it comes down to it, I have enough a paper trail to win a chargeback.

I was sooooo super excited for my Jeep. Seriously my dream Jeep, so this is quite a hit... my heart goes out to all of you that are going through this with your dream Jeeps. FCA should be ashamed of themselves for this kind of crap, especially with the Bronco at their doorstep. Where is the logic?

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I have it on 3 of my 2019 door hinges so far. I've had my dealer make a note and will give it some time to show up elsewhere prior to taking it in for a fix. My dads 2018 is still fine.

I would have purchased it anyways... bubbling or no bubbling....

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
Service manager responded:

"Yes this was an isolated concern that only effected a small number of vehicles. We have actually only repaired a few of them for this concern and it was on the ones a few model years ago. You should be fine with the new Jeep."

True or not, I now have an email chain from the sales rep and the service manager. Should anything arise during my ownership, I'm confident it will be handled to my standards, especially since I plan to service my JLR at the same place that I'm buying it at.

Time will tell, but I do feel excited again to receive my Jeep!

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wifeā€™s)
I got my JL new July of 2018. It was a summer toy until this past December. Then it became my daily and today as I washed, I noticed very small bubbling on 2 hinges. It will be interesting to see how fast this gets worse.
Sponsored