Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Just got my Jeep back today for the 2nd time to fix the issues above. They only did the driver side even though the passenger's side is still sloppy with the 2 different colors. They even put too much paint in the T50 imprint on one of the hinges on the driver's door to the point where the imprint is almost gone. It looks terrible and I'm beyond pissed. I messaged @JeepCares about this but honestly, I'm not expecting much with my prior experience with them. Fingers crossed that they will actually be helpful this time around.
I sure hope they will not accept this as warranty work - that is a crime providing that quality of service let alone allowing the customer to accept it in that condition. Unreal...
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Hand wash garden hose pressure only and paint is bubbling.
Galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals can occur even without the presence of water.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm seeing a 5 year warranty on the body corrosion, so what is their justification for this?? Pretty sad all these issues could have been prevented with a little epoxy and some de-ox.
For other manufacturers the corrosion warranty it's only applicable if there is rust thru. in other words there has to be a pinhole corrosion all the way through the sheet metal. Surface corrosion may not be covered.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
For other manufacturers the corrosion warranty it's only applicable if there is rust thru. in other words there has to be a pinhole corrosion all the way through the sheet metal. Surface corrosion may not be covered.
So is the rationale that it won't rust though in 5 years, so this metal reaction corrosion is acceptable? Who are the FCA wizards that came up with this?? Jeep is no doubt their cash cow and they are going to alienate all of their customers with this, @JeepCares

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Exercise Therapist/Martial Artist
Im in Plymouth, Ma. myself. Mine has 26k on the clock and my paint looks just about the same as yours. It isn't too bad to where im afraid of it flaking off (like Ford hoods) but it is at the point where its annoying. I imagine your fears are much like mine and the body shop wont beable to match the Mojito! As well? Did you check the underside of your hood? Mine is starting to bubble on the underside lip, moving into the outer skin.
I have not, but I will now...thanks

Sponsored

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How many people that have bubbles wash their jeep weekly with power washer or self serve bay?
I have a 1 year old Rubicon (white) 8000 miles - I have 1 very small bubble - smaller than a pea on the underside of a rear driver side hinge. Bothers me but not that much and i am a car cleaning freak (just ask my wife) Its only on one hinge on the rear door. Hood is clear, front doors are clear and rear door is clear.

That said - i live 3 miles up a dirt road in central Vermont. I power wash my jeep at LEAST twice a week (electric power washer 1700 psi, 45 degree tip, warm water). Many days I just spray it off and do a quick air blow dry (Adams Air Canon) and garage it. If I have time then quick blow dry and spray and wipe with a quick detailer (typically ExoForma Si02 detailer or Chemical Guys quick detailer plus carnauba) . Ill let you know if I see anything else but with my experience and knowing what I know this is not a power washer problem.

ghodson

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Picked up this thread while traveling this week. Returned to the airport and quickly checked out my 2018 JLU (Firecracker Red with 25K miles) and found bubbling on at least one door hinge. Have not had a chance to do a thorough inspection yet. So disappointed. First Wrangler and love it - but the electronics (UConnect and Carplay) suck and now this paint issue has me totally ticked off (controlling my words as I write).

Will be at the dealer next week to note the problem. Jeep is garage kept and looks as pristine as the day it came home. I try to take good care of my vehicles. May not be in the stable long as I am not interested in going out of warranty and this being my issue and after reading 38 pages I see nothing that says Jeep is stepping up with a real fix either in the field or in the factory.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have a 1 year old Rubicon (white) 8000 miles - I have 1 very small bubble - smaller than a pea on the underside of a rear driver side hinge. Bothers me but not that much and i am a car cleaning freak (just ask my wife) Its only on one hinge on the rear door. Hood is clear, front doors are clear and rear door is clear.

That said - i live 3 miles up a dirt road in central Vermont. I power wash my jeep at LEAST twice a week (electric power washer 1700 psi, 45 degree tip, warm water). Many days I just spray it off and do a quick air blow dry (Adams Air Canon) and garage it. If I have time then quick blow dry and spray and wipe with a quick detailer (typically ExoForma Si02 detailer or Chemical Guys quick detailer plus carnauba) . Ill let you know if I see anything else but with my experience and knowing what I know this is not a power washer problem.
It all starts out as a small this or that, as did mine. You will soon find out that won't be the case. My door hinges look like they have hemorrhoids. I'm already actively pursuing a 2021 F-150...

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep is garage kept and looks as pristine as the day it came home. I try to take good care of my vehicles.
It is not your fault. It's chemistry. And lack of common sense on FCA's behalf.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Great...I’m having the very same issue...
Hood and the doors.

A696D796-5DA5-4831-BCE6-E6E810ED6017.jpeg

58EE7A05-CA20-4BB7-BB13-69744997DFE3.jpeg

4BD8065B-AF63-44CC-B644-616B5628CC48.jpeg
Sorry to see that man,

but these are the pics that have me wondering what’s up. We are all talking about the hinges and the dissimilar metals reacting to each other whether from hinge to door or the bolts....when it’s randomly on a hood or door with no dissimilar metals it’s like wtf!?

disgusting to see this happening really!

Last edited:

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
Sorry to see that man,

but these are the pics that have me wondering what’s up. We are all talking about the hinges and the dissimilar metals reacting to each other whether from hinge to door or the bolts....when it’s randomly on a hood or door with no dissimilar metals it’s like wtf!?

What bugs me is the time it takes to get worse. I wash my car myself and take good care of it. A month and a half, two months ago, I had 1 spot, so small that I thought it’s just a blemish. Now it’s an inch long. The hood seems to be an aggressive one too.
The spot repairs will not do anything good, these will keep popping up, after the warranty is done depreciating the car’s value greatly.
I threw so much time and money at this project, but I am now thinking about jumping ship because to be quite honest, the paintjobs, I mean the repairs that have been posted are terrible.
And again, it might as well happen again in multiple different locations once these have been addressed...

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
Sorry to see that man,

So, I’m here at the dealership and it seems like this wasn’t shocking news for my rep.
I said I had some paint/corrosion issue and my rep looked right at the hinges.
He will submit me for a new hood, but I am wondering if I should ask for new doors as well, because again, fixing one spot does not guarantee that it won’t appear anywhere else.

And the cherry on top: some asshole stole my ANTENNA this morning... I mean who does that?!

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What bugs me is the time it takes to get worse. I wash my car myself and take good care of it. A month and a half, two months ago, I had 1 spot, so small that I thought it’s just a blemish. Now it’s an inch long. The hood seems to be an aggressive one too.
The spot repairs will not do anything good, these will keep popping up, after the warranty is done depreciating the car’s value greatly.
I threw so much time and money at this project, but I am now thinking about jumping ship because to be quite honest, the paintjobs, I mean the repairs that have been posted are terrible.
And again, it might as well happen again in multiple different locations once these have been addressed...
Yea I agree.
I have one hinge out of all of them so far that this is accusing too. First noticed it in June (also thought I might be a blemish) but it’s “mutated” lol not as quickly as you’re describing (but of course many are having this issue in different phases and speeds) either way it’s unacceptable to be experiencing at all so early on, quite ridiculous actually.

and I agree about the repairs and returns (hence I haven’t hade it repaired yet) if I do it may require appear or come back or occur somewhere else.
Plus as you said these dealers “shops” aren’t exactly doing the greatest job to rectify it unfortunately.

so almost going to hold off to see if it occurs somewhere else. Not looking for multiple trips. And surely don’t want random body shops doing a horrible job and almost giving you the jeep back to just need to have there mess corrected, is just another issue and thread all together.
Sponsored