Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Will pulling the doors off a new Jeep and installing a thin plastic spacer between the hinge and the door stop the galvanic action?
Sponsored

bkod313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Manual Rubicon Wrangler
I'm most likely taking delivery of my JL this week.

This problem sounds like it has been identified for a long time and FCA is paying for these repairs. My question is, has FCA course corrected and changed the way their supplier builds/paints the door hinges? From this thread, it appears that using an epoxy primer on brand new hinge components is the "fix" yes?

It irks me that my expensive JL that was built last week, is still being assembled the same way, all the while that FCA knows of this problem.

I'm with a lot of you guys. This will be a second vehicle for me and I plan on taking very good care of it. If I start to run into maintenance issues while it's still "new" (first 5 years) to me, I'll just sell it and look at a Bronco. My truck is 12 years old and all I've ever done to it is fluids, tires, batteries, alternator and brakes. And the truck is my daily driver, albeit I only put 8k a year on it.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have pretty bad corrosion on each door hinge, 8 in total (among other issues). Bringing the Jeep to a dealer nearby this morning for assessment. I CANNOT wait for them to drop the "It's a Jeep thing" or alike. I'll leave the vehicle right there in the parking lot and have my wife pick me up. That'll be the last day I drive it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Boston MA. 18 months 2019 JLRU, 12,632 miles. Crap paint work to start with, and now the bubbling. Had a recent service at my dealer (Acton), pointed it out...sent to another dealer with a body shop (Natick)
Second dealer not pleased I was sent there, and was presented with ā€œitā€™s a Jeep, not a Lexusā€...to which my response was, ā€œThen donā€™t charge Lexus pricesā€.. reluctantly scheduled for January 11th 2021 as they are overloaded with warranty work....
Fingers crossed that with will be corrected with matching Mojito! Green...
2020...love it!
Please feel free to reach out to our team as you get closer to your appointment if you would like additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I just got the call back from my dealer. They say not covered under warranty. He couldn't give me an answer about why a 1 yr old vehicle isn't covered under warranty other than a few months ago they changed what is covered. Well I bought the vehicle before the change so I should still be covered. They told me No. This was Robbins motors in Manhattan KS
I'm seeing a 5 year warranty on the body corrosion, so what is their justification for this?? Pretty sad all these issues could have been prevented with a little epoxy and some de-ox.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I'm thinking possibly Aluminum Hinges and Bolts might solve the Galvanic Action problem we have.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
No issues here, 5/18 build, so 2 years and 5 months old. Donā€™t know if, or what it could mean. also, I replaced the hood with an aftermarket fiberglass hood that I love, at least it is an option. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 04A1A80B-8DFD-4FD4-8E0E-A3249E1E0906

starrs

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Registered Nurse
No issues here, 5/18 build, so 2 years and 5 months old. Donā€™t know if, or what it could mean. also, I replaced the hood with an aftermarket fiberglass hood that I love, at least it is an option. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 04A1A80B-8DFD-4FD4-8E0E-A3249E1E0906
Wish I could figure out what causes some to have it happen and others not

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have pretty bad corrosion on each door hinge, 8 in total (among other issues). Bringing the Jeep to a dealer nearby this morning for assessment. I CANNOT wait for them to drop the "It's a Jeep thing" or alike. I'll leave the vehicle right there in the parking lot and have my wife pick me up. That'll be the last day I drive it.
How did your appointment go?

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

Ward

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
How many people that have bubbles wash their jeep weekly with power washer or self serve bay?

Ward

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Yeah, I take care of a self serve wash over the weekends and I absolutely don't think it is acceptable, but I got to thinking if the high pressure water getting in between the door face and the hinge would be accelerating the issue?

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I take care of a self serve wash over the weekends and I absolutely don't think it is acceptable, but I got to thinking if the high pressure water getting in between the door face and the hinge would be accelerating the issue?
Hand wash garden hose pressure only and paint is bubbling.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Boston MA. 18 months 2019 JLRU, 12,632 miles. Crap paint work to start with, and now the bubbling. Had a recent service at my dealer (Acton), pointed it out...sent to another dealer with a body shop (Natick)
Second dealer not pleased I was sent there, and was presented with ā€œitā€™s a Jeep, not a Lexusā€...to which my response was, ā€œThen donā€™t charge Lexus pricesā€.. reluctantly scheduled for January 11th 2021 as they are overloaded with warranty work....
Fingers crossed that with will be corrected with matching Mojito! Green...
2020...love it!

Im in Plymouth, Ma. myself. Mine has 26k on the clock and my paint looks just about the same as yours. It isn't too bad to where im afraid of it flaking off (like Ford hoods) but it is at the point where its annoying. I imagine your fears are much like mine and the body shop wont beable to match the Mojito! As well? Did you check the underside of your hood? Mine is starting to bubble on the underside lip, moving into the outer skin.
Sponsored