Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Found these bubbles on the tailgate of my 2020 Willys. Same issue I presume?
20200906_113753.jpg
20200906_113807.jpg
Wow, it didnt take long on yours. Lucky for me, I only have one small spot, on hood.
Seriously FCA, how much more does it cost to properly prime the thing, prior to assembly, and painting??
Sponsored

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Seriously FCA, how much more does it cost to properly prime the thing, prior to assembly, and painting??
The problem is there is no paint in between the hinges and body. It's literally metal on metal. When moisture starts getting in, the corrosion begins.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The problem is there is no paint in between the hinges and body. It's literally metal on metal. When moisture starts getting in, the corrosion begins.
I know. But a good layer of primer between the metal pieces should help. Maybe Galvanize the metal first??

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Brought my JLU in for this issue, among others. Initially, they looked at it and said it was just overspray, but had them look at the closer and they agreed. They did say it was going to take a while to get anything done via warranty through FCA due to COVID. I'm a little skeptical about that, I also don't know if I want repainted or if I could argue for a new tailgate, any opinions on this?

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Brought my JLU in for this issue, among others. Initially, they looked at it and said it was just overspray, but had them look at the closer and they agreed. They did say it was going to take a while to get anything done via warranty through FCA due to COVID. I'm a little skeptical about that, I also don't know if I want repainted or if I could argue for a new tailgate, any opinions on this?
Unfortunately I think you are looking at a repaint. With how many Jeeps are affected by this and the fact that Jeep doesn't paint the panels separate from the body but rather paint the vehicle as a whole once all parts are on the body. You are better off having a good bod shop strip and repaint the tailgate and hinges apart and than put it back together.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I have a few spots starting on mine, looking to have them addressed next time I take it in. Hopefully these are warrantied.. the one on the edge of the hood is very annoying.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 9EE7935F-14D9-49B9-B122-28BBF6F3F9FB

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 5182E5A6-E60D-4330-A2A3-96D85839E34B

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges B92A71BE-F7A6-406D-9ED8-0AB1C009A8CD

Last edited:

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a few spots starting on mine, looking to have them addressed next time I take it in. Hopefully these are warrantied.. the one on the edge of the hood is very annoying.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges B92A71BE-F7A6-406D-9ED8-0AB1C009A8CD

Your 2nd (fender) pic is puzzling. Considering this is/seems to be a corrosion issue! How is this happening on your plastic fenders?!
Damn!

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Your 2nd (fender) pic is puzzling. Considering this is/seems to be a corrosion issue! How is this happening on your plastic fenders?!
Damn!
I was just thinking the exact same thing!! Its probably a case for dirty or greasy plastic but yea thats a first ive seen on here.

Sponsored

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately I think you are looking at a repaint. With how many Jeeps are affected by this and the fact that Jeep doesn't paint the panels separate from the body but rather paint the vehicle as a whole once all parts are on the body. You are better off having a good bod shop strip and repaint the tailgate and hinges apart and than put it back together.
Lovely...I really hate getting cars repainted, always afraid it will bubble, crack, etc faster than the factory paint, but I might be wrong. It is a lease so the option is there to just turn it in at the end.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I have it on 2 doors so far, 2019 with 16k miles. I am planning on waiting until it develops on every hinged panel. My 2010 Nissan is corrosion free...

My 2013 JK had it on the hinges themselves when I bought it in 2015. Those hinges were painted after assembly as well. How Jeep still has not figured this out escapes me.

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have it on 2 doors so far, 2019 with 16k miles. I am planning on waiting until it develops on every hinged panel. My 2010 Nissan is corrosion free...

My 2013 JK had it on the hinges themselves when I bought it in 2015. Those hinges were painted after assembly as well. How Jeep still has not figured this out escapes me.
They actually fixed or reduced the instances of that problem later on in the JK. I believe it was 2015 or 2016 when they started placing a thin piece of rubber/plastic between the hinge and the door to stop the two different metals from touching. I have a few bubbles on my 2010 hinges, but they're far better than most that age. I see so many JKs with paint missing from the hinges and white streaks running down the door skins from the aluminum hinges. A little preventative maintenance went a long way on the JKs. Doesn't appear to be as much of an option on the JLs though.

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those who have had their issues fixed, did you have it repainted or ask for replacement parts? Trying to figure out the best course of action.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
For those who have had their issues fixed, did you have it repainted or ask for replacement parts? Trying to figure out the best course of action.
On mine, The dealership repainted the existing door panel and hinge. Because they have to blend the paint, it wound being pretty much the entire door. The corrosion is coming back and it's now also starting to appear on the other door. This time I will insist that they replace the both doors and paint under the hinges.
Sponsored