Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not buying that argument- I own a 2018 Tesla Model 3 with aluminum hood and doors. On the Tesla forums I’ve seen concerns about paint application quality but nothing about corrosion. No get out of jail card for Jeep....from me.
Couple of items based on quick search:
From Tesla forum:
I've seen various photos of Model S parts that have unexpected corrosion and pitting.

Having owned an all aluminum car before (Acura NSX) I am familiar with the lengths Honda went to in order to mitigate this problem. I owned an Acura NSX repair manual which went into detail about coated fasteners, insulation, grounding, etc.

From Car and Driver:
Today Tesla issued a recall on 2016 Model X vehicles built before mid-October 2016. NHTSA and Transport Canada found that the aluminum bolts that connect the power steering gear assist motor to the gear housing could corrode and break resulting in a loss of power steering. The company said that if the bolts did break, the driver could continue to steer, but it would require more force.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Couple of items based on quick search:
From Tesla forum:
I've seen various photos of Model S parts that have unexpected corrosion and pitting.

Having owned an all aluminum car before (Acura NSX) I am familiar with the lengths Honda went to in order to mitigate this problem. I owned an Acura NSX repair manual which went into detail about coated fasteners, insulation, grounding, etc.

From Car and Driver:
Today Tesla issued a recall on 2016 Model X vehicles built before mid-October 2016. NHTSA and Transport Canada found that the aluminum bolts that connect the power steering gear assist motor to the gear housing could corrode and break resulting in a loss of power steering. The company said that if the bolts did break, the driver could continue to steer, but it would require more force.
The Model 3 is newer than the S or X - not saying something won’t happen, but itS not showing up yet on the Model 3. Perhaps Tesla learned some lessons that FCA has yet to learn. Had similar problems on the JK hinges...

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine back today from body shop. Took 3 days, paint match is perfect, I am impressed with the painters skill. Jeep was parked in late afternoon sun and no shade changes when changing angles, fisheye, or orange peel. They told me like the Terminator I'll be back for the other side , then windshield, then hood. FML

Zas

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.harvestr.ru
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2.0 2018 gray
Occupation
Near Moscow
Moscow, 2018-2020. 40 000 km. 2 winters and Moscow road reagents. I noticed yesterday. Tomorrow I'm going to the dealer. And the hood is intact, since it was repainted with a slice after purchase. It was poorly painted. Over 40,000 replacement steering damper, all 4 shock absorbers and one speaker. SAHARA Model.

IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_5914.JPG

IMG_5915.JPG

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5917.JPG

IMG_5918.JPG

IMG_5919.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

jcrann

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
2018 JLU Sahara, all 4 doors getting repainted next week, bubbles on all the hinges and the bottom lip of drivers/passenger sides. No bubbling on the hood or trunk luckily. Covered under warranty, only 20k km's on it.

Worried this is just going to happen again. This is my 3rd jeep (2015 JKU, 2017JKU) and the first time I've had this issue. Might end up trading this in in a few years if its not resolved.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JLU Sahara, all 4 doors getting repainted next week, bubbles on all the hinges and the bottom lip of drivers/passenger sides. No bubbling on the hood or trunk luckily. Covered under warranty, only 20k km's on it.

Worried this is just going to happen again. This is my 3rd jeep (2015 JKU, 2017JKU) and the first time I've had this issue. Might end up trading this in in a few years if its not resolved.
JK didn't have aluminum panels.

Zas

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.harvestr.ru
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Near Moscow
I completely agree with you. the gladiator’s situation is even worse. Chrysler needed to consult a land rover, not nasa

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
After speaking to my case manager, they're only covering 70% of the costs of the repair. I guess I'll take it for what it is. Now I'm just hoping the guys at the shop know what they're doing.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
After speaking to my case manager, they're only covering 70% of the costs of the repair. I guess I'll take it for what it is. Now I'm just hoping the guys at the shop know what they're doing.
Why only 70%? The Wrangler has 5yr unlimited mileage warranty on corrosion for exterior body panels.

Zas

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.harvestr.ru
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Near Moscow
This is bad. all doors are made for me in Moscow for free. One may be replaced.

Sponsored

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Why only 70%? The Wrangler has 5yr unlimited mileage warranty on corrosion for exterior body panels.
Well in order for that warranty to kick in, it needs to form a hole. So they instead looked at the basic warranty, which I am over by 6k miles. I made the case that aluminum will not corrode enough to form holes in that short of time. But they're treating both materials the same.

The only reason they're repairing the hood under warranty is because of the TSB that's out for all FCA vehicles. The TSB does not include doors/door hinges.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Well in order for that warranty to kick in, it needs to form a hole. So they instead looked at the basic warranty, which I am over by 6k miles. I made the case that aluminum will not corrode enough to form holes in that short of time. But they're treating both materials the same.

The only reason they're repairing the hood under warranty is because of the TSB that's out for all FCA vehicles. The TSB does not include doors/door hinges.
That sucks. I hope since you're paying out of pocket, that they will at least provide you with a warranty on the repair in case you have issues later. Hopefully, Jeep will add doors and hinges to the TSB soon, so they will have to refund your money for the repair.

Honestly, It's kind of lame that Jeep isn't standing behind their product. No vehicle should have corrosion issues within such a short time. I can see this turning into a Class Action lawsuit.

*EDIT- Not sure if this helps, but the attached TSB says the Doors are included:

Attachments

Last edited:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Service advisor had one look and is scheduling some time with their body shop in south Denver. I'll get it in sometime in July depending on how busy they are. Enough time to research their work.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
That sucks. I hope since you're paying out of pocket, that they will at least provide you with a warranty on the repair in case you have issues later. Hopefully, Jeep will add doors and hinges to the TSB soon, so they will have to refund your money for the repair.

Honestly, It's kind of lame that Jeep isn't standing behind their product. No vehicle should have corrosion issues within such a short time. I can see this turning into a Class Action lawsuit.

*EDIT- Not sure if this helps, but the attached TSB says the Doors are included:
Thanks. I brought it up again. Lets see what happens!
Sponsored