Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Well, this is disappointing. Not only is the corrosion coming back on the passenger door they just repaired 3 months ago, now it's starting on the drivers side door too. :angry: wtf!
Sponsored

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
I got my Jeep back from the dealer after they tried to fix the rust issue. Exactly like I expected they did a horrendous job. They broke the latches of the removable hard top, broke the engine liner, there were 50% missing plastic clips from liners they needed to remove, they painted over labels/stickers (main VIN label from door, another one from driver door, and another one from the inside of the hood), I am not even sure at this point how they will replace the VIN label?; the paint job was mediocre to say the least, missing/dripping paint, missing clear coat, they damaged one weather strip from the hard top, driver door was also misaligned; they couldnā€™t really match the paint, and also left some of the chemical weld (or whatever this is) soft and of course that it messing up the paint integrity. On top of that, the car was delivered to me dirty on the inside (I guess they could have cleaned it decently). I took the advantage of requesting a multimedia unit replacement since the car was going to be at the shop for a few days (because it was getting frozen) and when I got the car back the supposedly new unit was freezing also (unbelievable). They took 3 weeks to complete this mess. I guess I should be grateful they gave me a minivan as a rental to go off roading instead of a Jeep. This was a dealer in Miami, FL (Planet Dodge). At this point I would be soooo happy if FCA buys the Jeep back! I am not buying any FCA product EVER again. They act like they are doing you a favor, of course that is only after you buy a $50k crappy vehicle and basically are stock with it. I donā€™t know who should I direct my concerns to besides alerting people on this forum. I am sure Jeep Cares is going to reply something like ā€œwe are very sorry about your experience, contact us privately to see how we can helpā€ and that is going to be the end of the story. Weā€™ll see. Keep you guys posted.
This makes me cringe. Its obvious your dealer was given discretion to solve the problem and they sent it to some cheap fly-by-night body shop. FCA needs to know about this and give you a satisfactory resolution. This is a complete cluster-f. FCA needs to engineer a product that works with the technology they are using. How stupid can they be?

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Well, this is disappointing. Not only is the corrosion coming back on the passenger door they just repaired 3 months ago, now it's starting on the drivers side door too. :angry: wtf!
Every single person with this problem needs to keep taking photos and reporting it to their dealer in writing. Make them open a file to track the history so the problem will have be documented thoroughly. This is your only protection from the long-term problems.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Lucky me! Along with 2 hinges showing bubbles, I just noticed this on the hood prior to a wash. Looks like Iā€™m going to take up that anti corrosion warranty since Iā€™m at 40k miles.

Since the dealership doesnā€™t have the best reputation of body work, Iā€™m curious to know if theyā€™ll reimburse for work done at a third party shop. @JeepCares

37CFCC1C-5F3A-43F2-9130-1E4399C93AFD.png

JL wit da JLU

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I am now in this club aswell as many others..
just washed my 2018 JLU sahara all up today and found large bubbles around one of the drivers door hinges..
had this thing 14 months now and has been undercoated twice... always kept clean, use a car cover in the summer as I donā€™t have a garage that fits it...
IMG_3836.jpeg

Sponsored

JL wit da JLU

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Further looking around the Jeep closely, both hinges on drivers door have bubbles one pretty good one small, as well as the tailgate has bubbles starting around its top hinge, along with one small bubble on the front edge of the hood... this sucks... hoping to get ahold of the service dept tomorrow an see what they will do for me, but Iā€™m guessing not much for a decent fix from what I have read so far...
clutch recall
E-brake issues
Front caliper noises
An now paint to address..
all within a 8000km oil change interval :(
Really hope to get some remedyā€™s as I do really love my Jeep...

JL wit da JLU

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
No, Iā€™m in Ontario, roads are salted to hell, an best of my knowledge is the hinges are put on then they paint over everything, unsure of a gasket between of any kind.. but after 15 months of ownership technically and one full winter, I wouldnā€™t expect this! So hopefully warranty will cover all and have me rolling with a smile again... we shall see!

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
[QUOTE="TEXGOAT, post: 1110766, member: 49298"I'd also like to know if the paint and primer extend under the hinges.... or between the hinge and the door, or if the door is painted after it is hung, leaving raw metal or poorly protected metal in the joint between the hinge and the door.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at this factory video 0:40 to 3:00 min. It looks like the hinges are attached to the unpainted doors then the door+hinge assembly is attached to the unpainted body; then paint is applied simultaneously to the body+doors.

It also looks like the hinges are black colored before they are painted, so I would guess the steel hinges are primed.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @wranglerguyman,

Thank you for tagging us. We recommend working with a certified Jeep dealer. Your warranty would not cover repair costs if you visit an independent repair facility. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored