Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
I have a 2018 that has bubbling around the hinges, bottom of the doors, and bottom of the hood. Here are pictures of my hinges and my wife’s 2021. In my opinion her doors have some sort of pad/ gasket between the hinge and door. It looks like they were installed,
And then the door was painted. You can kind of see where the paint stops on her doors. On mine you can kind of see the paint mostly fills the smaller gap between the door and edge of the hinge.

7A1ADEBD-0F82-494A-929D-638CD003561B.jpeg

0D668D76-C598-4DBD-B79B-9BD28B6EE6A1.jpeg

75553827-92B4-40F7-95D5-6E9546153E43.jpeg
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Hello,

Im new to this forum. I honestly found it while looking into the oxidation issue on my wifes 2018 JLU. I noticed some bubbles on the bottom edge of the hood a couple days ago. My question is, has anyone tried using nylon counter sunk shoulder washers on the bolts that attach the hinges to the doors? I plan on taking the hinges off and cleaning, painting and putting some form of either thin rubber or decal type of plastic between the hinge and door along with adding these washers.

This is the type of washer I found that I'm thinking might work to isolate the aluminum from the steel screw.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwi125T3-bb3AhW8q3IEHXvKDEEQ9pwGCBA

around $1 a piece but definitely worth it if if fixes the issue.

Thanks,

Tom
I don't have any obvious issues yet. I'm going to the body shop next week that the dealership uses and get their opinion. Maybe prime and paint area under the hinges, brush some anti seize/corrosion goop on the bolts and add a nylon washer. I'm not sure how hard it is to get the bolts out without scratching them up. Buy new bolts and paint them black so I don't have to match Mojito. Not sure what this will do to warranty with this issue if I do this and it bubbles anyway later on. I'm going to try something to prevent this from happening. The JEEP CARES response seems to be cookie-cutter (private message them for info) that I read on everyone's posts and no comment on how to prevent this. If JEEP CARES knows how to mitigate this, tell the whole JEEP world, so we can fix it before it occurs. Their TSB 31-002-20 says don't remove hinges unless corrosion has made holes in the door panels. We have 134 pages of ideas on what's causing this from Jeep owners. I don't see any from JEEP. I'll post info/pics if I go this route just FYI.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I don't have any obvious issues yet. I'm going to the body shop next week that the dealership uses and get their opinion. Maybe prime and paint area under the hinges, brush some anti seize/corrosion goop on the bolts and add a nylon washer. I'm not sure how hard it is to get the bolts out without scratching them up. Buy new bolts and paint them black so I don't have to match Mojito. Not sure what this will do to warranty with this issue if I do this and it bubbles anyway later on. I'm going to try something to prevent this from happening. The JEEP CARES response seems to be cookie-cutter (private message them for info) that I read on everyone's posts and no comment on how to prevent this. If JEEP CARES knows how to mitigate this, tell the whole JEEP world, so we can fix it before it occurs. Their TSB 31-002-20 says don't remove hinges unless corrosion has made holes in the door panels. We have 134 pages of ideas on what's causing this from Jeep owners. I don't see any from JEEP. I'll post info/pics if I go this route just FYI.
No way Jeep will admit this - outside the discreet “multiple time” revised TSB. No way Jeep Cares will tell the whole Jeep world how to mitigate this. It is a production line problem. Clean room issue. Which apparently is extremely expensive to retrofit and retool.

This is a problem mostly for those that find out about paint bubbling in forum posts. Most will just trade in their paint bubbling corrosion JLs once they see this and get another new one. Or buy some other brand. Jeep does not care much as their year over year sales have been decent.

Adding a gasket apparently was done on the JKs. So looks like Jeep is now trying this with new JLs. With so many corrosion claims flowing through - Jeep had to “quietly” do something.

Gaskets will do nothing for the front of the hood edge or bottom of door panels. But since most of the paint bubbling occurs at and around the hinges - they are hoping to target that huge problem area.

This way saves them mega bucks on a full recall of all affected JLs. So no way Jeep is going to ever do that and admit this is a production line problem. This is not like a life threatening brake issue or airbags. It is only is a “devaluation” for most JL owners. Like the class action alleges.

If you touch the hinges now and Jeep finds out. They will no doubt try to pin any “future corrosion” on what you did. So keep that in mind. Make sure what you do is completely reversible and completely removable without leaving a trace if need be. Or takes your chances getting denied.

We would probably want to do the same to “prevent”. But since we already had 2 different area warranty claims - both adding epoxy under. The corrosion has at least been slowed or maybe even prevented from coming back. Both body shops do have “lifetime” guarantees on their work. And Jeep had to only pay them $15000 for 4 doors and a hood fix.

Am expecting gaskets to definitely help “slow the progression”. Should have really been done from day one. But cost cutting by the bean counters - seems was not the brightest idea. Haha!

Quietly adding gaskets is actually an “admission of a huge corrosion problem” affecting most JLs. A guy posting 10 out 10 used JLs on different Dealer lots with paint bubbling - says something.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
If the Toledo plant does it similar to a competitor's assembly plant that I'm familiar with, the vehicle still goes through the paint process with the doors attached. Thus, no paint between the hinges and body.

When it exits the paint department the doors are removed so that it makes things easier to install the IP, seats, etc., inside the vehicle. The doors are later reattached on the body and that's when this new gasket is installed.
Don't know why I never considered the possibility that the gaskets were added post paint. I looked at my hinges a few times and couldn't see a gasket because the Snazz is so dark in my garage. But using flash when taking a pic certainly shows that there does indeed appear to be a gasket in there. Only time will tell what kind of difference it will make.

20220501_210942.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Don't know why I never considered the possibility that the gaskets were added post paint. I looked at my hinges a few times and couldn't see a gasket because the Snazz is so dark in my garage. But using flash when taking a pic certainly shows that there does indeed appear to be a gasket in there. Only time will tell what kind of difference it will make.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20220501_210942
I looked at a couple of 2022 White JLs on dealer's lot. It looks like yours does. Looks like there is something in there between the hinge and the door. I asked the parts manager for a part#, if it is a gasket, he said it does not show one. Round and round we go.

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I too have the gasket.
22 Rubi XR.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
My 2021 delivered in October doesn't have a gasket between the hinge and door.I'm spraying liquid wax between the hinge and door as a precaution. LOL....I have no idea if it will make a difference.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
The only issue tho, as far as I can find, the hinges are actually aluminum???

And what about all the other places that bubble? Hood, door edges, etc.

Just makes me sick thinking no matter how good of care I take of Hazel, that shit will happen anyway.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The only issue tho, as far as I can find, the hinges are actually aluminum???

And what about all the other places that bubble? Hood, door edges, etc.

Just makes me sick thinking no matter how good of care I take of Hazel, that shit will happen anyway.
Same thoughts here. I had three door edges not near hinges. Also had six door hinges of the 8.

cbmjeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito and 03' Rubicon
Must be your referring to Dave Dennis Jeep
Performance Jeep in Centerville! They have since called me back after an email to JeepCares and a really bad Google Review I did! Taking in next Monday for them to repair the paint.

Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I have an appointment at the stealership on Wednesday due to paint bubbling along the bottom edge of my hood. I really hope they don't give me hell about fixing it.

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I've been trying to get my Jeep repainted since last May. First the body shop said they were backed up and had delays, then the dealer said Stellantis had put the brakes on these jobs. Got a call from Jeep Case Management 3 weeks ago saying the dealer has to look for a new body shop, since that voicemail I've heard nothing from Jeep or the dealer; so I decided to give my dealer a call today. They told me effectively that the body shops in my area refuse to do the work because Stellantis will only pay for a blending of the paint and not a full repaint of the panel(s). The body shops are insisting on the full repaint because they say the blend looks like garbage and their name is attached to the work. This might be all BS but some food for thought.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
If the Toledo plant does it similar to a competitor's assembly plant that I'm familiar with, the vehicle still goes through the paint process with the doors attached. Thus, no paint between the hinges and body.

When it exits the paint department the doors are removed so that it makes things easier to install the IP, seats, etc., inside the vehicle. The doors are later reattached on the body and that's when this new gasket is installed.
This video about the manufacturing process confirms that the body is painted with the doors on.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Quietly adding gaskets is actually an “admission of a huge corrosion problem” affecting most JLs. A guy posting 10 out 10 used JLs on different Dealer lots with paint bubbling - says something.
Hit the nail on the head - action taken by Jeep is admitting to the problem.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Might as well add me to list of premature rust.:headbang:
My 18’ is primarily affected at the door hinges. I’ve never removed the doors since ownership so Jeep can’t use that b.s. excuse. I guess i’m in it for the long haul on the “rust wagon”.
Sponsored