Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
My dealer doesn’t offer a loaner.
They’re making me take a rental from enterprise and they cover $35 day

They told me to leave the car there. Jeep Cares told me once I get a case representative they’ll try and pay me for the rental. Imagine paying for a rental waiting for a repair approval..:
If you need an independent body shop look up Gotham City Collision in LIC, those guys are amazing. I took my JK there after a collision and the owner immediately started going over it, looking up the aftermarket stuff I had, asking if I wanted to do anything different this time around. Just super nice people. Insurance ended up totalling the Jeep so they didn't make a dime off of me but still treated me like their best customer. I have nothing to do with them but if you are in the NYC area you can't go wrong with this place.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
So apparently I got approval, and my appointment will be 10/23, and theyre going to drop it off at the body shop to get my door /hinges repainted. I hope it fixes this.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Update on my paint journey. Dropped it off on 9/22 while we were on our honeymoon. Went to pick it up on 10/1 and the paint didn’t match. Like at all. Way way darker than oem.

We left the jeep with the dealer and he was going to have a company come out and scan the factory paint to make a color match. 10/6 they call and the guy tells me that “Jeep paints the cars really thin so you are looking through the color at the primary beneath it” and they couldnt color match based on the door code because they can’t “recreate the same paint thinness while blending “ so the custom color was made? Well i picked it up on 10/8 and the paint looks good. So idk what that was about.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Update on my paint journey. Dropped it off on 9/22 while we were on our honeymoon. Went to pick it up on 10/1 and the paint didn’t match. Like at all. Way way darker than oem.

We left the jeep with the dealer and he was going to have a company come out and scan the factory paint to make a color match. 10/6 they call and the guy tells me that “Jeep paints the cars really thin so you are looking through the color at the primary beneath it” and they couldnt color match based on the door code because they can’t “recreate the same paint thinness while blending “ so the custom color was made? Well i picked it up on 10/8 and the paint looks good. So idk what that was about.
Not one bit of that makes any sense….if OEM paint was that thin it would be incredibly blotchy and uneven. Did they grease your headlight bearings while it was in the shop?

Sponsored

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Not one bit of that makes any sense….if OEM paint was that thin it would be incredibly blotchy and uneven. Did they grease your headlight bearings while it was in the shop?
haha right! My response to the guy was if the paint is that thin then reshoot the whole jeep! He was like oh no i didn’t mean it like that.

Jeepdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Washed the jeep over the weekend and noticed small bubbles in the paint at one of the rear door hinges. I am over a year and have roughly 27k miles.They are hard underneath and the paint is not loose and pretty sure they were not there last time i washed the vehicle. It cant be rust under the paint since the doors are aluminum. All other hinges are fine. Has anyone seen this issue?

7BBAFBCE-A498-4C9D-A44E-5ACE0C7E028D.jpeg
I have this same issue on 7 out of 8 hinges, plus I've noticed some rust bubbling on the passenger side door lower front corner. For a 2018 vehicle this is absolutely unacceptable. Will be taking it in to see if the dealership will cover this under warranty. I see many of you have had FCA agree to repair so this is encouraging.

dpsanborn

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler S Unlimted JL
I have paint bubbles on and around all door hinges and edges of my doors and hood. I brought my 2018 Wrangler JL into the dealer a few months ago for a steering stabilizer recall and they took pictures of the paint and told me they were going to send them to Jeep for repair approval. I never heard back from them and followed up with Jeep directly and they said the dealer never sent the pictures. I just called the dealer again for a status and was told I need to drop the car off and leave it for a few weeks. I asked if it was a few weeks to be fixed and they said "no", they have to take it apart and take pictures. So it sounds like it is still not approved? I am so confused by this process. I bought a brand new car 3 years ago and the paint is rust bubbling all over the place and should be covered under warranty and I am getting treated like I am complete burden to the dealer and Jeep. At this point I have to decide if I even trust leaving my truck with Jeep (dealer). I am worried I will get it back in 2 months and it will look worse and it will hurt the resell value even more. What can I do at that point in the process? Are there any gaurantees? I was told by the dealer this is the first case they have heard of with Wranglers hinge bubbling and it only happens on the Paficia. So I am totally blind going into this and not getting any reassurance that it will be fixed. I just get a "drop it off and leave it for a few weeks and I do not know what is going to happen". I love my Wrangler, but at this point I think I am just going to lick my wounds and trade it in before the bubbles break through and I can still get decent money for it. What is the point of having this warranty if no one can help you with it?

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Update-
Picked up the vehicle on Friday. What a disaster!
The doors and hood and tailgate look fine. But they stripped the paint right off the bolts/screws on the hood hinges and tailgate hinges and there's no paint left! Lol. Theres also scratches on all 4 doors on the inside for some reason? These are brand new doors that were painted from scratch. Theres also rough patches of paint (overspray) on the inside of the doors and tailgate. They also did not replace the 8 halves of the hinges that actually bolt onto the body so those have been ordered. Will take the jeep in again next Tuesday and do a full walk around with the bodyshop and service managers. Very irritating. Jeep was there for exactly 1 month.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
I have paint bubbles on and around all door hinges and edges of my doors and hood. I brought my 2018 Wrangler JL into the dealer a few months ago for a steering stabilizer recall and they took pictures of the paint and told me they were going to send them to Jeep for repair approval. I never heard back from them and followed up with Jeep directly and they said the dealer never sent the pictures. I just called the dealer again for a status and was told I need to drop the car off and leave it for a few weeks. I asked if it was a few weeks to be fixed and they said "no", they have to take it apart and take pictures. So it sounds like it is still not approved? I am so confused by this process. I bought a brand new car 3 years ago and the paint is rust bubbling all over the place and should be covered under warranty and I am getting treated like I am complete burden to the dealer and Jeep. At this point I have to decide if I even trust leaving my truck with Jeep (dealer). I am worried I will get it back in 2 months and it will look worse and it will hurt the resell value even more. What can I do at that point in the process? Are there any gaurantees? I was told by the dealer this is the first case they have heard of with Wranglers hinge bubbling and it only happens on the Paficia. So I am totally blind going into this and not getting any reassurance that it will be fixed. I just get a "drop it off and leave it for a few weeks and I do not know what is going to happen". I love my Wrangler, but at this point I think I am just going to lick my wounds and trade it in before the bubbles break through and I can still get decent money for it. What is the point of having this warranty if no one can help you with it?
its warranted for 5 years...dont let them bully you around...or take it to a different dealer....

Sponsored

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
Update-
Picked up the vehicle on Friday. What a disaster!
The doors and hood and tailgate look fine. But they stripped the paint right off the bolts/screws on the hood hinges and tailgate hinges and there's no paint left! Lol. Theres also scratches on all 4 doors on the inside for some reason? These are brand new doors that were painted from scratch. Theres also rough patches of paint (overspray) on the inside of the doors and tailgate. They also did not replace the 8 halves of the hinges that actually bolt onto the body so those have been ordered. Will take the jeep in again next Tuesday and do a full walk around with the bodyshop and service managers. Very irritating. Jeep was there for exactly 1 month.
Nightmare....

rmartin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
UPDATE: I wrote back a few weeks about my journey with trying to get my hood and door hinges repair denied. I am still under the 3/36k warranty and this is extremely frustrating. I have now had a few pointless conversation with the Jeep Customer Care, absolutely no help. I then decide to call another local dealership that has an Jeep approved body shop at the dealer, the first one did not. I actually was able to speak with the body shop manager who was quite honest (which was refreshing), I was told similar to the first dealer that back in July FCA changed its warranty process and approach on this subject. Apparently some Jeeps have been waiting weeks to get approved and the hoops that have to be gone through to get approval is very daunting. It was also communicated this is a very well known issue with some Jeeps being so bad the whole car needs to be repainted. My argument is I understand the loops hole language in the corrosion warranty, but my point is especially if you are within the 3/36k warranty this seems very clear.

"The Basic Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair any defective item on your vehicle that was supplied by Chrysler Motors — that is, defective in material, workmanship, or factory preparation."

Now someone tell me how this issue is not a defect that should be covered under the basic warranty.

Has anyone heard or explored of a class action suit being opened? I feel like we are all swapping stories about this and running into walls, maybe its time elevate this issue.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
UPDATE: I wrote back a few weeks about my journey with trying to get my hood and door hinges repair denied. I am still under the 3/36k warranty and this is extremely frustrating. I have now had a few pointless conversation with the Jeep Customer Care, absolutely no help. I then decide to call another local dealership that has an Jeep approved body shop at the dealer, the first one did not. I actually was able to speak with the body shop manager who was quite honest (which was refreshing), I was told similar to the first dealer that back in July FCA changed its warranty process and approach on this subject. Apparently some Jeeps have been waiting weeks to get approved and the hoops that have to be gone through to get approval is very daunting. It was also communicated this is a very well known issue with some Jeeps being so bad the whole car needs to be repainted. My argument is I understand the loops hole language in the corrosion warranty, but my point is especially if you are within the 3/36k warranty this seems very clear.

"The Basic Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair any defective item on your vehicle that was supplied by Chrysler Motors — that is, defective in material, workmanship, or factory preparation."

Now someone tell me how this issue is not a defect that should be covered under the basic warranty.

Has anyone heard or explored of a class action suit being opened? I feel like we are all swapping stories about this and running into walls, maybe its time elevate this issue.
It can be denied under the pretense that stone chips on the paint allowed the introduction of water to the bonding layer of the paint, causing it to fail. Thus, it is a result of “damage” rather than defect..

All of my bubbles stem from chips. Not deep chips, but chips deep enough to allow moisture in under the clear coat. I’m at 40,000 mi, and just started noticing it. Nothing I can do now except hope it doesn’t spread to the door itself. I feel that removing the hinge to repaint will just open the paint up even more to water incursion, since the bolts and hinges are painted over.

I think 5-10 years down the road, when everything is covered in aluminum leprocy, I think this Jeep is going to be a good candidate for a full rhino lining.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM

Im in if you can find someone....so many smart individuals on this forum....its unacceptable to pay so much money for a vehicle and have to paint it within 3 years of owning it....FCA should be ashamed of themselves.....but there not...the joke is on us....

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
My nephew in law has a 2013 JK that had those bubbles and is now flaking off with just primer underneath. They just don't paint em like they used to. Then i showed him the massive dents and scars on my TJ and he felt better i think🌝. Still said he's considering getting it repainted from silver to desert tan which is cool color, but if were me I'd just ignore it and try to add trail dents instead, for character.
Sponsored