Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I like to think I’m an open minded person (yet very opinionated), but IFS is a no go for me.

The Bronco looks like a fun ‘lifestyle vehicle’, but it falls short of the type of off-road workhorse I need for my use type. An IFS Wrangler would be the same problem. (For me)

The wrangler (hopefully with the 6.4) fits me in many ways:
  • Lifestyle vehicle (doors/roof/etc)
  • Easy to work on
  • Looks awesome
  • Unstoppable offroad machine
  • Enthusiast vehicle with forums
  • Can grow with you. Easy to go from stock, to lifting, to going big, etc
IFS takes away 2-3 of those
Sponsored

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
I mean, here's the 392 vs the Demon in a Challenger.

Certainly seems like there's more air space around the NA engine.

Dodge_Challenger_SRT-8_(2011)_-_6.4L_392_Hemi_V8_Engine_-_2.jpg
2018-Dodge-Challenger-SRT-Demon-engine-bay.jpg

EDIT:

And articles from around the time support the Hellcat interpretation as well.

Screenshot_20200715-093630_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-093649_Chrome.jpg

Only the last article in this second screenshot makes the leap from Hellcat to V8 in general.
Well I can tell you running between 140-160 MPH for 20 miles stretches in Wyoming and Nebraska in December the Hellcat engine in the Grand Cherokee gets hot...not to mention watching the gas guage move down to empty real quick... it sounds good but wide open I can get about 2-6 miles to the gallon

Even with the 392 in the Wrangler I just don't see it happening..with the inline 6 with turbo scheduled in a couple years.

Placebo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something with 4 wheels
What I want to see is this

Jeep adding more value to the wrangler by making more options standard and keeping pricing competitive with the Bronco. Jeep replacing the pentastar with the upcoming 3.0L inline 6 that's going in the Wagoneer. Ford releasing a raptor version of the Bronco and Jeep responding with a 6.4 Hemi version. Jeep could also steal some of the bronco's features like body mounted windows and modular top.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Are there any forum members who are open to IFS on the Wrangler? They both have their advantages, with better daily driver capability being a huge one for IFS. Given that like Jeeps, the vast majority of Broncos will rarely if ever be used as an off road vehicle, IFS will be an advantage. No death wobble.
I'd be open to an ifs vehicle, but not an ifs Jeep, if that makes sense. Most of my off roading is really dirt roading and long travel ifs would be ideal there (so I'm actually interested in the bronco for that).

However, I want the Jeep to be the best technical trail vehicle it can be, so sticks at both ends.

Sponsored

Aljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Bronco advertising is claiming best in class for things, but they only achieve that by offering 35 inch tires as a high end option. No shit you'll have more clearance with 35s. All Jeep has to do to beat this is add a 35 inch tire option and they are back to best in class. Just seems like such a silly game to try to claim best in class title.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Makes no difference to me, my next Jeep will be the 392 and it’s getting tons and 40s as soon as hits my driveway.......... :jk:........:rock:
Why not 42s. Just a little more trimming :)

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
For my purposes, IFS would be fine. I'm not an extreme off-roader and mostly use my Jeep as a daily and for cruising down to the Keys. We'll have to see how Jeep responds, but for now, I would say if you are more of an off-roader, go with the Jeep. If you're more of a daily driver, go with the Bronco.

I'd love if Jeep brought back a Suzuki Sidekick or Geo Tracker type vehicle with an actual removable roof or soft top. NOT THE RENEGADE.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/13/2021-ford-bronco-suspension/

Lots of low hanging fruit on that suspension..

I also feel like the 94 crawl ratio kind of cheating..If those ratios sound generally high, this vehicle will have a 10-speed automatic with a highly overdriven 0.646-to-1 top gear. The new seven-speed manual is right in the same ballpark with a 0.636-to-1 cruiser gear. Of course seventh gear is really sixth because second is really first. That’s because they’re calling first gear Crawler, a name it truly deserves because its 6.588-to-1 ratio won’t be useful in daily driving.
Because of that creepy crawly gear, Ford is touting a mighty 94.75-to-1 crawl ratio when the manual transmission is paired with the 4.7-to-1 axle ratio. That combination seems to be available on a Badlands with 33-inch tires, which in my mind adds up to an uncommonly low trail walking speed at idle.
It's still a 3.06:1 (electronic..ugh) transfer case with some unusable first gear that I'm sure only works in some electronic 'mode' on the manual (not auto) trans with 33'' tires.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I was seriously considering Bronco in addition to my JL to get the 2.7 / 7 speed combo.

But now seeing its only going to be available with the 2.3, well, there's not much it offers my JLUR doesn't. Maybe I'll wait and see if they release a Bronco branded pickup
And that combo is required for their 'class leading' 94 crawl ratio.. it's looking like smoke and mirrors to even match Rubicon's crawl ratio.

They need a dozen different combos to claim 'class leading'.

Last edited:

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Are there any forum members who are open to IFS on the Wrangler? They both have their advantages, with better daily driver capability being a huge one for IFS. Given that like Jeeps, the vast majority of Broncos will rarely if ever be used as an off road vehicle, IFS will be an advantage. No death wobble.
Get the F outa here with this BS. There are dozens of other SUVs with IFS. There is exactly one vehicle sold in America that is built for four wheeling as a primary concern.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Why not 42s. Just a little more trimming :)
Nah....... 40s are my end game, but probably not on this rig, I would like to get that 392 with 450 hp to turn them...:). With the Bronco coming out with more hp, I don’t think it will be a concept rig for very long.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Nah....... 40s are my end game, but probably not on this rig, I would like to get that 392 with 450 hp to turn them...:). With the Bronco coming out with more hp, I don’t think it will be a concept rig for very long.
I will be ready for D44s swap by then. I will just drive down to FL and we can do a double swap at same time as your D60s. :LOL:
Sponsored